• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Heritage Sign Auction

27 posts in this topic

Hate to change the subject from something so interesting as star counts. lol.

Lots of nice books in the new auction. Including 2 ASM 1's.. one a 9.4 and the other a 9.2. I'd hate to be the guys that consigned those books. Having 2 really high grade books like that can't be good for the consignors frown.gif

As usual a nice run of ASMs, and a fair amount of some other stuff mixed in.

Brian

The GA stuff is [!@#%^&^] frown.gif Worst selection I've ever seen in a Heritage signature auction.. At least for the stuff I collect. I hope this doesn't mean they are running out. I know there must be a limited supply of CGC graded GA books.

Those Spider-man 1s sure do look nice though. I wonder with a CGC 9.4 up for sale if someone might be able to get a bargain on that 9.2 devil.gif

saw a lot of books that failed to sell previously Are the consignors charged even if the books dont sell? In some cases they have been listed in 4-5 auctions already I found 7 books to bid on and one I wish I could afford right now (the Marvel 1 Vg 4.0)

The GA stuff is [!@#%^&^] frown.gif Worst selection I've ever seen in a Heritage signature auction.. At least for the stuff I collect.

I certainly agree that this is the worst GA selection in memory. Certainly of the stuff I collect. Kinda makes me wish I'd have been a bit more aggessive on the recent Mastronet auction, which had some sweet stuff that went relatively cheap.

Do you think the slim pickings here means the big money will be bidding up books that might otherwise have gone for less?

This definately appears to be one of the lower Signature auctions they've had. Hopefully everyone will ignore the G.A. section, there are some nice Caps on there. The ASM run is nice, but outside of that there isn't much else on there. Only 2 Cap books, 5-6 Avengers, a couple of FF's. Pretty poor selection this time.

Brian

I really like the surreal Vampirella painting by Enrich they have up for auction (though I will likely pass on it as I hope to close a private deal this week on a better Vampi painting by the same artist). However, Heritage claims it's the published cover art to Vampi #109 when, in fact, it is an unpublished piece that I've never seen before. The actual cover to #109 is by Manuel Sanjulian and is on sale at albertmoy.com (where it is similarly mislabeled as the cover to Vampi #113).

Doesn't anybody bother checking their facts in this business? 893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Gene

Heritage also has the ASM #136 cover art up for auction, though there is no picture listed the last I checked (also, it looks like significant portions of the cover were recreated from their text description...I'm curious to see what this looks like once they get the scan up).

Gene

GA is definitely light. I think we all got a little spoiled over the past 18-24 months with the White Rose, Cage, and Geppi collections becoming available. Is this the new norm for GA availability? There are, however, some nice Timely's up for auction, but the DC selection seems extremely thin. Pedigrees available are virtually non-existent if you take out the National run and the usual 10-15 Gaines copies for sale. Oh well, maybe now they'll finally sell the MH Adventure #40. I believe this is the third Sig in a row it is up for auction. Which one of you is stepping up on that one??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, personally I do think that the lack of a very good G.A. section will mean that the books that are there are going to hit rediculously high prices. I would also guess that means more big spenders will be turning their attention to some of the Silver age books. I don't predict that many books will be selling for under guide value in this auction... In some previous Heritage auctions they had so many good books it almost seemed like there wasn't enough money to go around and there were lots of good deals to be had. This time around I predict it will be the opposite, and there will be too many people competing for not enough books. There was only one book in the whole Golden age section I was interested in but I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit 2x what it normally would.

I just hope this poor selection doesn't mean Heritage is running out of good golden age books to sell. I know that personally I have picked up ALOT from them in their last three auctions including a number of books that were recycled on Heritage 3 or 4 times in the past year or two.. And I know alot of other people on the board buy alot from them regularly as well. Now that some of those books are gone I hope they will be able to find more. With Silver age and Bronze age I'm sure there are tons of copies of any given book out there to be found, but there has to be a finite number of copies for some of the harder to find Golden age books right? With any luck this was just a weak auction because it was listed too soon after their November one... maybe July will be better.

Hmm, if this does turn out to be the new GA norm that would be a huge disappointment. Thinking back there are a number of books I wish I had bid on when they came around. But I passed at the time because I couldn't come CLOSE to affording them and I figured they would always come around again. Now I'm not so sure. If anyone on these boards was the buyer of last year's unrestored Marvel Comics 1 CGC 6.0 or the extensively restored Superman 1 CGC 7.5 and is interested in selling please PM me smile.gif (Yeah sure its probably a 1,000 to 1 shot but we'll see)

There is very little I am interested in but I did see one resubmit. They are selling the Tales of Suspense #42 Green River copy that was recently sold by them as a CGC VF+ and it is now in a new holder VF/NM. So if I bought this which would I be getting a loose 9.0 or a nice 8.5?

Eric

Bonds;

Thanks for the link! Just used it to place the high bid on the book. From my point of view, this is one of Fine's best cover of all time. To see it in real life with all of the minute details is absolutely amazing. The cover of this books appears to be real glossy. In fact, so glossy that Heritage must have really turn up the lights on this one.

I have never seen this book sell for less than multiples of guide. Definitely still way undervalued at only $2,475 in NM guide. Will this book end up going for 10X guide similar to the Target #7 for $57.5K in the last Heritage auction?

What price do the rest of you guys think this book will end up at if it meets reserve?

It's anyone's guess as to the final price. I don't think it's a well-known classic cover like many others, so I personally don't see it selling for 10x guide. I'm guessing the final price will be closer to $13,000 or so.

Also, did you see that they're auctioning off a Gaines File Copy of Mad #1 in CGC NM/MT 9.8!? 893whatthe.gif Guide price in NM is $7,000, so I could see that book selling for $50,000 or so.