• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Heritage Sign Auction

27 posts in this topic

My friend is the one who consigned the National run. He had them for about 3-4 years. My favorite is the National #16 with the skeleton warrior picking up the battleship!

Awesome stuff!

Timely

Heritage is trying a new tactic this year. Instead of 3 or 4 monster auctions they said they would try 6 smaller signature auctions this year, basically one every 2 months!

Timely

I think this auction (and auctions going forward) will be light for several reasons:

1) There is a limited quanity of nice Golden-Age books for sale. I believe more GA books are purchased for collections than to flip. Therefore, unless some big name collectors decide to sell, I believe this will be the trend.

2) Prices for Silver-Age books haven't really moved much since the last guide came out. That will lead to less books coming to market because there are a lot of people who won't sell unless they can get their money back (or more). After paying Heritage 15% (plus the BP), you really need to see 30% appreciation in the price before a profit is made.

3) Lastly, I think more and more collectors will sell through ComicLink.

Heritage also has the ASM #136 cover art up for auction, though there is no picture listed the last I checked (also, it looks like significant portions of the cover were recreated from their text description...

Gene

Gene,

Only the 2 center figures of ASM vs Gr Goblin are original John Romita Sr. art from 1974. The entire background was re-created by Lord knows who. Listed in JP the Mint's auction 02June22 with low estimate of $15k. Think it sold for around $12.5k. makepoint.gif

Definitely the lightest signature auction that I've seen from Heritage yet, at least in terms of silver age (since I don't collect GA, except for Duck books, I usually don't see the GA books they're offering until they send me the catalog). The exception, as usual, is ASM, for which there is the usual plethora of high grade copies, including a #1 in 9.4 (also as usual). Between Heritage and Comiclink, there must be close to a complete run of ASM 1-100 in 9.4 or better available.

The only interesting thing I noticed in this auction's silver books is the number of Pacific Coast books for sale. Unfortunately, most are marginal titles, but it looks like Robert Roter is doing a bit of house-cleaning.