• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Character Names

27 posts in this topic

Well thanks to everyone for their great input (?!) and making fun of me.

But what's wrong with everyone. Apparently not many people get the point here.

Instead...it is all about making fun of someone.

It is not only about....how did Batman get his name....and everyones answer here would be ...."dahh...because bats are his fear and he needs to face his fears...and he operates out of a batcave....how could you not know...".

my point and question to this prime example now is....how was the name Bruce Wayne chosen ?

Me personaly I would love to know the background of those things.

The creative idea behind it. The idea of the name that the creative team, the artists came up with.

If you all want to call me out and say how stupid are you for not knowing...go ahead and knock yourself out. One at a time. (I appologize upfront for having that part written)...but i am trying to make a point.

If nobody cares about where those names came from, fine.

I do my own research.

For everyone else, google "creation of name Bruce Wayne".

Sure some of the names are maybe randomly chosen, others are very specificaly chosen. I find the story for "Bruce Wayne" rather interesting.

Can't we just use this forum as an exchange of information.

Apparently EVERYONE who posted knows the answer to my post, but nobody wrote what was asked. All that was posted were....these... :roflmao:doh!(shrug)

Moore based the characters on old Charlton characters.

Blue Beetle (charlton) = Nite Owl

Mister A = Rorschach

Captain Atom = Doc Manhattan

Etc.....

Not sure how he specifically came up with each name. He just tried to make them close (in concept) with his own spin on them.

Here's a link to the Wiki page for watchmen. Should clear up some questions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchmen

If you have the extra funds, I'd look for the Watchmen Absolute. Just amazing. It's loaded with extras including portions of Moore's original proposal.

Me personaly I would love to know the background of those things.

The creative idea behind it. The idea of the name that the creative team, the artists came up with.

Wurstisart, you're right. A lot of the collectors here have years of comic and OA experience and they know...well, tons. We all have a learning curve and people sometimes forget that not everyone has read or studied the same things.

For a book that covers a bunch of the "background" aspects of DC and Marvel comics (and a little bit about the other guys), you might try WAS SUPERMAN A SPY? You'd learn, for instance, why 'Bruce Banner' was 'Bruce Banner' and why he became 'Robert Bruce Banner'. It's not great but I thought it was a fun read.

By the way -- you've got a sweet OA collection. I really like the Colan/Daredevil pages.

Moore based the characters on old Charlton characters.

Blue Beetle (charlton) = Nite Owl

Mister A = Rorschach

Captain Atom = Doc Manhattan

Rorschach was the Question. :gossip:

D'oh! Total brain fart on that one.