• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Garage Sale/Flea Market/Antique Mall Finds Here
59 59

15,895 posts in this topic

Found what appears to be a cel of some sort. An ad for TMNT Cereal. Its clear acetate and matted. The sword is covered in strawberry blood. Anyone ever seen anything remotely close to this? i.e. cereal box, actual ad in use, other TMNT art from this same guy etc.

photo16_zpsf8607fdf.jpg

Edited by Junkdrawer

Found what appears to be a cel of some sort. An ad for TMNT Cereal. Its clear acetate and matted. The sword is covered in strawberry blood. Anyone ever seen anything remotely close to this? i.e. cereal box, actual ad in use, other TMNT art from this same guy etc.

photo16_zpsf8607fdf.jpg

There were a number of TMNT food tie-ins, which included cereal from Ralston-Purina. My guess is the artwork was intended to promote the cereal prize (on a retail flyer, cereal prize insert, coupon, or even an ad/promo used on the back of the cereal box). My reasons for thinking it's artwork specific to a cereal prize promotion is related to the way it's revealed in the cereal box art itself. Here's a Google image search which could get you started on figuring out the specifics.

Two weeks ago I mentioned I was going to an estate auction that had a picture of some comics, and one of mention - ASM#3. I had never seen an estate auction with comics, so I was pretty interested, and thought I may be able to get it cheap. When I get there, it turns out they had way more comics than were mentioned on the website; the auctioneers did keep four books off to the side to sell first - ASM#3, Tales of Suspense 52, Avengers 8 and Journey into Mystery 89.

Here's a picture of table 1 containing most of the comics (the group of four was at the end of the comics, right before a display case of coins). There was also a second table, running along this one, and both tables were in the middle of the auction hall - prime location for the old folks to rummage through.

photo_zpsf1c02fd6.jpg

photo1_zps90c8f83f.jpg

There was a good few hours before the comics would auction off, so I took off for a bit after researching some buy points on some of the other books I hadn't seen before. I also came back and chatted with an older guy (the white-haired guy in the first photo), and he was pretty frank about what he wanted, and what he collected. He even pointed out on the second table - which I thought was all junk - they had an Astro Boy#1. He ended up winning that for $7.50, and because he told myself and another guy about this book I had no clue about, I thought he should get it cheap...while the auction went on, as some of the other comic guys talked, we cringed as dozens of bystanders came and went past the comics, pawning all-over-them like horny 15 year olds.

I know the auction hall probably thought the comics weren't in the best of shape (some of them were actually F/F+), but you would think the staff would be more careful handling them. Right before they started the comics, the coins were sold.

Here's a pic of the table where the coins were...

photo2_zpsbd3860ff.jpg

"Hey we need to make room for the coins", so a staffer hurdles the books down the table like he's tossing halibut in a fish market...I'm watching this, like ahhhh but can't help to laugh a bit. The coins also attracted the blue-hairs, and they flooded around that comic table, elbows and hands deep into the books. It was actually ol' whitey that went over to the table and place the four keys under a stack of lesser books....Finally 1 p.m!

At this point I'm hoping this mess is quick, I had hockey in an hour and was 25 minutes away. We get down to brass tacks, and I realize how quick the books escalate/sold. I had a price of $300 for the ASM, and that was my final bid, Whitey ended up snagging it for $325, but I have a feeling he was prepared to go higher. He was also the big spender, I believe shelling out $200 or so for each journey into mystery and tales of suspense 52. I can't help but think where the prices might go if there were more than 5/6 people involved...

I did manage to get in and buy some books; I found some keys, although some of them are really beat up.

I got MRF#1, Silver Surfer 50 (back cover missing), Avengers 53, Tales of Suspense 51, a few Batmans, some sgt rock books, Jimmy Olsen 34, a few other books. It was a lot of fun overall, even bidding for the $2 books. :)

OK so this isn't so much of a "Garage Sale" item as it is a "Garage Find" item. So I'm selling off my dad's house. We got just about everything out of it, I went back for one last look around and found that there is a crawl space above the garage that I never knew about. It was a good thing I looked up there because I found a very nice and very expensive and very HUGE HD antenna that is now going in my attic so maybe I can cut down my cable bill :) Anyways there were some boxes up there as well. So We started pulling down the boxes and most of them had junk them, literally junk. Old blankets that mice made into dens, old tupperware, broken tools and other . In the last box I found a Sega Master System along with 2 games, the light phaser, control stick, automatic RF switcher, power cable and AV cable. No original box for the system, but EVERYTHING looks like it was bought yesterday basically, at least now it does since I removed the years of dust from them.

I opened the After Burner game and it seriously looks BRAND NEW. AND I found the original purchase receipt for the game that my dad paid $40 for at Target on 01/01/1989. I remember my dad telling me that he had bought this system back then and that he only played it a handful of times and put it away.

So I brought the lot home, wiped it down, plugged it in and sure enough everything works great. Well I say that. I'm actually unable to test the light phaser because they do not work with LCD tv's and I don't own a CRT tv anymore. But I'm pretty sure it works. It is in great shape like I said. So now I'm going to take some better pictures tomorrow and see if someone feeling nostalgic on ebay wants to buy it :)

SMS-system.jpg

SMS-games.jpg

SMS-afterburner.jpg

SMS-afterburner-receipt.jpg

OK so this isn't so much of a "Garage Sale" item as it is a "Garage Find" item. So I'm selling off my dad's house. We got just about everything out of it, I went back for one last look around and found that there is a crawl space above the garage that I never knew about. It was a good thing I looked up there because I found a very nice and very expensive and very HUGE HD antenna that is now going in my attic so maybe I can cut down my cable bill :) Anyways there were some boxes up there as well. So We started pulling down the boxes and most of them had junk them, literally junk. Old blankets that mice made into dens, old tupperware, broken tools and other . In the last box I found a Sega Master System along with 2 games, the light phaser, control stick, automatic RF switcher, power cable and AV cable. No original box for the system, but EVERYTHING looks like it was bought yesterday basically, at least now it does since I removed the years of dust from them.

I opened the After Burner game and it seriously looks BRAND NEW. AND I found the original purchase receipt for the game that my dad paid $40 for at Target on 01/01/1989. I remember my dad telling me that he had bought this system back then and that he only played it a handful of times and put it away.

So I brought the lot home, wiped it down, plugged it in and sure enough everything works great. Well I say that. I'm actually unable to test the light phaser because they do not work with LCD tv's and I don't own a CRT tv anymore. But I'm pretty sure it works. It is in great shape like I said. So now I'm going to take some better pictures tomorrow and see if someone feeling nostalgic on ebay wants to buy it :)

SMS-system.jpg

SMS-games.jpg

SMS-afterburner.jpg

SMS-afterburner-receipt.jpg

This is a nice find, but these are fairly common and not in demand all that much. There are several hard to find games for this system overall, but Afterburner can be found on eBay selling for a few bucks if it sells at all. I would list this on eBay after you test it and place a BUY IT NOW price on it, as well as a standard bid. I would value this lot between $40-$60 with the possibility of it selling as low as $30-$35 on a bad day and $65-$75 on a good day.

I used to sell these systems with games for $34.95 to $39.95 on BUY IT NOW and they generally sold within two days. That being said, that price point is wholesale not retail.

Kind Regards,

'mint'