• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If you could pick any three LATE sixties marvel covers....

late 60s marvel cover keepers  

132 members have voted

1. 1. late 60s marvel cover keepers

56 posts in this topic

FF 55, JIM 112, Cap 111 for me. SS4 is a close tie with the Cap, and the OA may even be more striking with all the black. The other Kirby FFs on the list don’t have as much oomph as the JIM 112. And if Hulk Annnual 1 had made the list, I'd pick that over the Cap 111.

Stan had Marie Severin draw a different head for Steranko's Hulk Annual 1 cover because the original was deemed to be too extreme.

Here's the published version:

hlk_anl_sev_fl.jpg

This is what the original looked like:

hlk_anl_ster_fl.jpg

I’d seen that version somewhere, but I didn’t know it was the original, thanks!

I hate to say it, but I like the Severin head better. Maybe because she drew less hair the proportions seem better, Hulk looks a bit more massive. Was Steranko’s head drawn over or is the Severin head pasted on?

I agree the severin head is better.

Part of what really makes this cover though is the coloring job. A gold star to whomever colored it because the color contrast makes hulk pop right off the page

I'm not sure where this colored version came from, but it appears like it may have been printed in a comic later and colored separately.

Here's the original art, without the Severin head or "Battles The" stats.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=111787&GSub=16592

I much prefer the original Steranko head, and I can't imagine why someone would think the Severin head is better. Steranko's version appears that the Hulk is actually straining to hold up the weight.

Hulk's head does look better on the OA than in the colored version, but his coiffure still isn't right (looks like Steranko drew his own hairdo on Hulk) and he still looks like he's making grunties.

I'm certainly not writing the cover off, I just found the comment funny (shrug)

as for the whole 'hulk head' issue... I just think the severin head looks more hulk-ish.. more of a brute. The steranko head looks like a bit of a 'rock star brute' thanks in part to the hair

That wasn't the only time his work was modified. His Tower of Shadows #1 cover was rejected by Marvel and his Nick Fury #1 silent sequence was censored by the code which required him to make changes.