• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skywald original artwork?

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone ever seen Skywald artwork in person or offered for sale?

I know, in the interview in Comic Book Artist Magazine, Hewetson mentioned a mysterious warehouse where Brodsky or Waldman kept the Skywald artwork. He didn't know it's location.

The closest thing I've ever run across was maybe five or six years ago. I was doing name searchs of various artists hoping to see examples of original art. A query about Tom Sutton led me to a page that seemed to be for Marvel artist Ron Wilson (I THINK, it's been a while.) Sure enough there were two pages of pencils with very light inking on a couple of the main figures. Mostly just raw pencils. The weird thing was that they were Heap pages.

All I could figure was that they might have been done for the second issue of the color book. Sutton never turned them in and either sold them off or gave them away. Who knows? I can't even find that page anymore.

Would Gary Brodsky know anthing about what happend to all of the artwork?

What about the foriegn publishers?

It just seems strange that so much art would vanish like that.

After reading your post I sent off an email to David Kerekes at Headpress,

the publisher of the book Skywald: the Complete History of the Horror-Mood.

I asked if anyone associated with Skywald has ever mentioned the whereabouts of any OA.

This was his response:

Hi Jay,

Good to hear from you! Good question about original Skywald art. When

myself and Stephen Sennitt interviewed "Archaic Al" he mentioned a basement

flood at his house some years ago that destroyed the majority of his

original Skywald artifacts. This included I assume any original artwork he

had, but I don't know how much there was of it. Effectively everything that

was useable we used in the Skywald book. Maybe the artists themselves would

be the best bet to assist?

Best wishes,

David

Hopefully some OA still exists and is in the hands of the artists or collectors. :wishluck:

Jayman,

Thanks for that.

I went back and reread the article I cited and it seems it was Waldman with the mystery warehouse. He had quite a history, prior to Skywald, with amassing content and reprinting it.

Joe Simon tells a story in his own book, The Comic Book Makers, of selling Waldman old existing mats (printing matixes) for use in Super Comics publications (these were sold in packs of three in a plastic bag to dime stores and such)

It would be strange for the potentially valuable artwork to have been disposed of since it was actively being reprinted all over the world. Foriegn editons pop up on Ebay often and even Hewetson claimed to have run across Austrailian reprints in the 80s. I know I've seen a couple for sale here and there around the internet. It may have been the outfit discussed here:

http://ohdannyboy.blogspot.com/2007/11/gredown-atlas-seaboard-unpublished-bog.html

Poke around in that site and you will find some Atlas/Seaboard and Warren stuff that was never published in North America.

The Gary Brodsky Skywald reprints from the late 90s (2 issues of The Best of Nightmare & Psycho and 1 issue of Scream) look as if they are reproduced from the printed pages.

Thanks again.