• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

115 posts in this topic

Oh, are you kidding me?! That's the whole premise of the comic! :heart:

Which part of the vulgarity bothers you? The sex, blood, violence...?

Let me use Preacher as an example, since I haven't read The Boys.

The blasphemy, the shock for shock's sake assault on the senses, the general FU tone he takes with the world in general. That, and the language. It's not the words themselves, but their staccato like, rapid fire frequency.

Hmm. Well, this weekend I read a couple Francis novels, Mirkheim by Poul Anderson, the first Bruce Jones Hulk hardcover reprint, a nice stack of the James Robinson Starman series, and I'm about to start the first Walking Dead collection. I picked up what turned out to be the retailer incentive hardcover (black with red foil cover) last weekend from a dealer who should've known better, and this will be my first exposure to the series.

If I like it it goes on the bookshelves, if I don't care for it it'll be up for sale as soon as the Nik auctions run their course.

Heh, I didn't accomplish much ELSE this weekend, saving my energies for WW Chicago

Blasphemy is not a term I fully understand. Just gonna throw that out there. My tangental knowledge of it is that it has something to do with religion, but since I really don't know much or anything about religion, it really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. ^^;; Sorry :(

Yeah, it does sound familiar to The Boys as well, the shock for shock's sake on the visual senses, and definitely the language. I don't find it rapid fire frequency in TB, but for where it would make sense that one would react that way, if such a situation presented itself in real life. xD But the words used are used in such a manner that the potency is more extreme it seems.

Part of what I really do like about it though is the real touch he does have with the humanity of things. Moments like "Awh mess, yeah I hate when that happens" or where you really, really REALLY feel and understand what the character is going through. And it's really easy to grow super fond of Wee Hughie. x]

If I like it it goes on the bookshelves, if I don't care for it it'll be up for sale as soon as the Nik auctions run their course.

I'm no fan of the zombie genre at all, and I love it.

It's the zombie book written for everyone who never cared for zombie books, plus lovers of zombie books. It's really great stuff.

Check this out if you want a lot of bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-1/dp/1607060760

The first 48 issues in one trade. Pay no attention to those prices, unless this thing shot thru the roof and I'm not aware of it.

Just finishing up nearly year's worth of Secret Six (current series), also just read Blackest Night 1 and will next be catching up on Captain America (current, Bruebaker). I think the last issue of Cap I read was iss 34.

Yeah, blasphemy is a religous term. Ennis is no fan of Orthodox Christianity, and unfortunately he wears his beliefs on his sleeve, or rather, on just about every page I've ever read by him.

I get what you're saying about his empahsis on humanity. It's a real shame I can't weed thru all the dross, because I agree with you. In Preacher, his emphasis on family, brotherhood, ideals of manhood, romantic love, his vision of America thru the lense of the romantic SouthWest, were good and valuable themes. To me, it was just overshadowed by the other stuff I mentioned.

Regardless, you've got me interested enough to at least try The Boys. I already thought it was a cool premise, and I'm willing to give it a look.

The Walking Dead Hardback volume 1-4 (finished the first 2)

Absolute Sandman volumes 1-4 (also finished the first 2)

The above are amazing.

Up next...Hellboy volumes 1 and 2

The Fables graphic novels.

I'm no fan of the zombie genre at all, and I love it.

It's the zombie book written for everyone who never cared for zombie books, plus lovers of zombie books. It's really great stuff.

Check this out if you want a lot of bang for your buck.

http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dead-Compendium-1/dp/1607060760

The first 48 issues in one trade. Pay no attention to those prices, unless this thing shot thru the roof and I'm not aware of it.

Less than cover here:

http://www.midtowncomics.com/Neshop/SearchResult.asp#

Yeah, blasphemy is a religous term. Ennis is no fan of Orthodox Christianity, and unfortunately he wears his beliefs on his sleeve, or rather, on just about every page I've ever read by him.

I get what you're saying about his empahsis on humanity. It's a real shame I can't weed thru all the dross, because I agree with you. In Preacher, his emphasis on family, brotherhood, ideals of manhood, romantic love, his vision of America thru the lense of the romantic SouthWest, were good and valuable themes. To me, it was just overshadowed by the other stuff I mentioned.

Regardless, you've got me interested enough to at least try The Boys. I already thought it was a cool premise, and I'm willing to give it a look.

Then you won't like Transmet.

I may not. But I plan on reading it. If I can read Preacher and The Invisibles, I can read (and have read about ten issues of) Transmet.

I disagree.

Preacher, while a purposefully offensive series much like Transmet, tackles very much different themes than Transmet. Preacher is about humanity, religion, well...all the things listed above in the earlier post, really. Transmet has a much more socio-political agenda, as Ellis extrapolates humanity's future in the face of people's increasing self-indulgences, complacency, corruption, and the like.

The two series are quite distinct and liking/disliking one does not preclude one's enjoyment in the other.

I disagree.

Preacher, while a purposefully offensive series much like Transmet, tackles very much different themes than Transmet. Preacher is about humanity, religion, well...all the things listed above in the earlier post, really. Transmet has a much more socio-political agenda, as Ellis extropolates humanity's future in the face of people's increasing self-indulgences, complaceny, corruption, and the like.

The two series are quite distinct and liking/disliking one does not preclude one's enjoyment in the other.

hiyo!

I disagree.

Preacher, while a purposefully offensive series much like Transmet, tackles very much different themes than Transmet. Preacher is about humanity, religion, well...all the things listed above in the earlier post, really. Transmet has a much more socio-political agenda, as Ellis extropolates humanity's future in the face of people's increasing self-indulgences, complaceny, corruption, and the like.

hiyo!

:acclaim:

And BTW, I'm currently reading Sam Kieth's Ojo.

I'm glad I'm an indy reader. :cloud9:

I love indies. I recently just finished Nexus 101/102.

Sell me on the Goon, Lebowski. I've flipped thru it but it hasn't grabbed me yet. It's probably ten books down on my new things to read list. Tell me why it should be the next book I read.