• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Are You Reading Right Now?

115 posts in this topic

Just finished Reads, by Dave Sim.

He is wildly misunderstood and unappreciated.

Yes, I know the significance of this volume, and yes, I don't get it, but I guess that's because I get it.

Just finished Minds, Dave Sim. Didn't enjoy it as much as Reads. Felt like he was trying a bit too hard to be one of "the cool kids". I have to remind myself what a whirlwind the reader response was to Cerebus at the time and remember the immense pressure he was under by the fan base, his peers and himself. Sometimes that pressure got the better of him, I think.

I'm a big fan of Alistair Reynolds sci-fi, and in a book of short stories he referenced some influences and other authors. I tracked a few down, just finished "Titan" by Jeff Varley (1979), and near the end there was this reference:

"You look like a Frazetta oil."

:headbang:

Victorious Eschatology by Harold Eberle

A thought provoking look at our future using scripture and history to illuminate the ends events

If the thread is about Trades...

Final Crisis by Morrison. Just finished, but what an incoherent mess. Collected four-color gobbledygook. Some tequila fever-dream because the writer just refused to puke.

Batman: Hush by Loeb & Lee. Reading this to clear away the putrid stench of Final Crisis. Excellent.

If the tread isn't Trades-only...

The Footprints of God by Greg Iles. Enjoyable 'digitizing human consciousness' popcorn book. Light, but thought provoking.

Duma Key by Stephen King. Only a few chapters in, so I can't say. I haven't read King in a decade, but am a huge fan of his early works. I stopped mainly because of predictability, so we'll see how it goes with Duma Key. So far it's really good.

Trades:

Marvel's Doc Savage Man of Bronze reprint by DC - only a few pages in so far and disappointed by the Ross Andru (?) art but the story is fun and familiar.

Walt & Skeezix Vol. 4 reprinted the 1927 - 1928 Gasoline Alley strip. Read 1927 and enjoyed it though the repeat trial for custody of Skeezix was not as enjoyable as the first time it happened. Looking forward to the new arrival to the family.

Books:

Just finished Train d'Enfer pour Ange Rouge by Franck Thilliez, it's great thriller writing with decadent crime. Makes you want to wash after reading it but is captivating as a train wreck.

Considering starting Deep Blues by Robert Palmer