• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Scanner Is Dead - What Scanner Do You Use?

23 posts in this topic

I had a Canon FS320 for a long while until it crapped out on me. I bought an HP (can't recall the model name), but it's served me well. I think it's pretty much you get what you pay for. HP makes very good scanners, but you might dish out a few extra bucks. Canon is pretty good as well.

When my HP scanner craps out, I'm definitely going to buy a legal-sized scanner. I remember FF mentioned legal-sized scanners in an old thread and was really happy with the results. I sometimes get white blotches with some of my CGC scans which are a pain because I have to scan the cases on a slight tilt.

Yes ! Very hard to get clean detailed pix of CGC comics with the same kind of clarity as nongraded comics . The scanner just doesnt perform the same way on both types . Any info on how to tweak the scanner setings to get better pix would be appreciated - Ive seen some closeup shots of CGC comics in PCE auctions that had incredible detail .

I'm with Darth on this one. I use the same scanner and found it to be fast, cheap and easy to use. One of the most important things, I think, is that the lid is adjustable or removeable so that you can scan books with it or even models like the Aurrora Hulk I sold recently. tongue.gif

A MicroTek scanner that scans legal-sized documents, which makes it large enough to fit an entire CGC slab onto. Here's a link to it:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?EDC=199849

I've never fricked with the default scanning software image quality settings on this scanner, except the dots per inch (dpi). Here are some scanned samples from this scanner:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/Spidey27.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/StrangeTales84.jpg

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/ff7.jpg

An HP 7400c, which fits legal documents (for the attorneys I deal with) and CGC slabs. Works extremely well, but you have to mess with the settings and it sometimes can be tough to get the bluetop text clear & legible.

I've been using a VISIONARY that I got from BEST BUY about a year ago and have been very happy with it. Scans CGC slabs with no glare. But ya can't get the whole slab in the picture. It takes two scans to get the whole slab. It also fax, copies, and a bunch of other stuff that I probably won't ever use. It cost under $100 at the time.

I recommend looking for recent scanner comparisons in a magazine like PC Magazine, Maximum PC, or Computer Shopper. The advantage is that they are able to test and compare many scanners, and give the pros and cons for each one, then it's up to you to decide.

I'm using a Umax Astra 34000, the scanner works just fine, but the software that came with it (they probably have updated software by now) was not compatible with Windows XP (that may have been fixed through Service Pack 1). Anway, I scan images at 800 dpi (I"m a quality freak), and I'm pleased with the results. Oh, and it might be a good idea to plug your scanner directly into an electrical outlet, rather than pluging into a surge protector. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't plug my scanner into a suge protector or it will srew up.

I'm using a Umax Astra 34000, the scanner works just fine, but the software that came with it (they probably have updated software by now) was not compatible with Windows XP (that may have been fixed through Service Pack 1). Anway, I scan images at 800 dpi (I"m a quality freak), and I'm pleased with the results. Oh, and it might be a good idea to plug your scanner directly into an electrical outlet, rather than pluging into a surge protector. I know it sounds crazy, but I can't plug my scanner into a suge protector or it will srew up.

This was the scanner that came with my Gateway for free and the Umax software was excellent for my CGCs and my wife loved its ease and applications for making cards and graphics on pictures, artsy stuff. Then I ran into same prob around XP conversion time. I had a driver update that I got from Umax, it scanned yellow fuzzy lines with no pic, then it totally konked out. I still have the scanner and am wondering if it is the scanner bulb or if it was the conversion from Windows Millenium to XP??? As for the power prob with this scanner, MOs is right. I had to plug into the outlet directly instead of the surge protector. I didn't understand this as I thought same current/voltage ran from wall socket and the surge protector outlet...when my Astra scanner just couldn't come through anymore. I just removed all the software/drivers and converted to XP. All HP drivers are XP friendly so I bought the HP that was on sale at the time.

I've been using my Acer ScanPrisa 640U for 2 years(?), got it at Office Depot for like $40 after rebate, plugged it in and was off and running immediately, not a single problem. Works great (see my "grade this mo fo" threads), but unfortunately it does not accomodate the whole CGC case with one scan. Next time I'll get a legal-sized scanbed for sure, but this is the 2nd scanner I've purchased and went low-end on the price both time, and it's worked out fine. Sometimes the problem people experience with scanners is BTKATC... wink.gif

A MicroTek scanner that scans legal-sized documents, which makes it large enough to fit an entire CGC slab onto.

This looks like a real bargain. I recently got a 2nd scanner for my 2nd computer (both scanners are 8 1/2 x 11) but will get one of these for my third computer no doubt! How is the scanner software? I like Visioneer and use Paperport software.

I can actually get my R80 to scan almost the entire CGC case..minus the very very upper part. Anyways, if you're looking for a nice fax/copier/scanner combo unit, the R80 is very nice. I think it even reviewed pretty well in Consumer Reports! tongue.gif

Brian

How is the scanner software?
Umm, I dunno. Never much used scanners before this one. Does everything I need it to! Here's a link to a picture of the user interface for the scanning software; it should show the basic image quality settings you can adjust: http://mywebpages.comcast.net/ruddj/microtek.jpg

My first scanner was a UMAX and it was fantastic. But it was scuzzy, so when I had to go USB, I bought a cheap Epson Perfection. The Epson works fine, but it isn't legal-sized like the UMAX was. I'm also on a Mac, so I have less choices for products and software but tend to get superior graphic results. The only thing wrong with my scanner is my own fault. There's a chip in the glass that leaves a little white dot on every scan. I have to go in and "color touch" that dot with most scans, or else it looks like it's a flaw on the book.

-- Joanna