• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

can someone tell me the gpa prices of xmen 58...

93 posts in this topic

What you might be unaware of is the fact that the owner of GPA is a well-respected member here. Perhaps if you offered to give some of whatever it is you produce to him free of charge, he'd rustle up those figures for you. (thumbs u

:golfclap:

These requests - and the replies to them - are a slap in the face to GPAnalysis and those of us who support the company. The owner has had the grace never to complain about it so I wanted to take a minute to stand up for him.

If it were up to me, replying to these questions should lead to an automatic strike.

Perhaps you should follow the owner's lead and show some grace yourself? While I am certain he appreciates you carrying the banner into battle for him............suggesting people get strikes? My good man......surely you jest?

I still think GPA should allow a pay-per-view system.

I'm no more a suscriber because i dont buy enough CGC certified books each month.

$10 is a lot of money to just get one or two GPA prices each month.

i would do that. a dollar per view or something of that nature would be perfect for me.

+1 I would pay to play too. Like iTunes.

I think we found the next big update feature for GPA. hm

Cause I only make big dollar purchases once in a blue moon and I would pay a dollar when I need this info. Somebody tell GPAnalysis we got some customer feedback to let him know about. :grin:

I still think GPA should allow a pay-per-view system.

I'm no more a suscriber because i dont buy enough CGC certified books each month.

$10 is a lot of money to just get one or two GPA prices each month.

i would do that. a dollar per view or something of that nature would be perfect for me.

+1 I would pay to play too. Like iTunes.

I think we found the next big update feature for GPA. hm

Cause I only make big dollar purchases once in a blue moon and I would pay a dollar when I need this info. Somebody tell GPAnalysis we got some customer feedback to let him know about. :grin:

I don't know if it is something George has considered. But I can say that I bought GPA for a month when I decided to start a slabbed, SA Avenger run. And it was rather helpful. I discontinued it though because in truth, I was getting any more usage out of it other than that. There's not alot of GA data that pertains to what I buy. And I have good enough first hand knowledge to know pricing for the books I happen to want.

In the end, I couldn't legitimize paying 10 bucks a month when I simply didn't buy enough books. But I may pick up an Avenger book here and there as I continue the run and for that, 1 dollar here, 1 dollar there would definitely be something I would be partial to.

I just don't get it. It has already been stated in MANY previous threads that the owner of GPA does not mind the occasional request for data from non-subscribing board members.

It is just like giving out a free sample of his product. More often then not I will bet he gets new members to subscibe that way.

I subscribe because to me it is dirt cheap. I away more $$ than that going out to eat one time, but I have no problem looking up some info for a fellow board member.

rant over.

I just don't get it. It has already been stated in MANY previous threads that the owner of GPA does not mind the occasional request for data from non-subscribing board members.

It is just like giving out a free sample of his product. More often then not I will bet he gets new members to subscibe that way.

I subscribe because to me it is dirt cheap. I away more $$ than that going out to eat one time, but I have no problem looking up some info for a fellow board member.

rant over.

I don't have any objection to somebody feeling like a request for GPA data robs George of something, be it money or whatever.

I just object to the rude and smarmy way they go about it, especially considering most of the folks who do it have no idea they are committing such a board faux pas.

What's the difference between taking from George and taking from Warner Brothers?

Sentimentality because he's your friend and Warner's is some faceless corporation?

There is a big difference between taking money from George and taking it from Warner Brothers, and it has to do with simple financial logistics, not sentimentality. Warner Brothers makes billions in revenue and sells to millions of customers. George most likely makes thousands in revenue and sells to a few thousand customers. The comic book back market is small and fragile, and the more people rip off the service, the more likely it is that George will go out of business. The importance of supporting George is roughly the same as the importance of supporting your local comic shop--if you don't, they may go out of business, and if that happens, the odds are decent that nobody will replace them, or that the replacement will be inferior.

If Warner Brothers goes out of business, that market is large enough such that another company will buy up their properties and start cranking out similar films as fast as they're capable of. If GPA were to go out of business, how long could it be before someone else steps up to offer the same service? I think it would happen, but there's a decent chance it could take a few years, and a MORE than decent chance that the service wouldn't be nearly as easy to use as George's is. Also, unless they were to buy George's data, we'd lose the sales history GPA has built up since they started in 2002. If I remember correctly, George has the same day job I do--web software development, both project-based and consulting-based, using Microsoft technologies. His site has a great design with high interactivity and efficient use of dynamically-generated graphs and AJAX. It's a great, easy-to-use site that when compared to the majority of sites out there related to comic book back issues is absolutely outstanding. My expectation would be that any site which replaces it would most likely not be as good.

What's the difference between taking from George and taking from Warner Brothers?

Sentimentality because he's your friend and Warner's is some faceless corporation?

There is a big difference between taking money from George and taking it from Warner Brothers, and it has to do with simple financial logistics, not sentimentality. Warner Brothers makes billions in revenue and sells to millions of customers. George most likely makes thousands in revenue and sells to a few thousand customers. The comic book back market is small and fragile, and the more people rip off the service, the more likely it is that George will go out of business. The importance of supporting George is roughly the same as the importance of supporting your local comic shop--if you don't, they may go out of business, and if that happens, the odds are decent that nobody will replace them, or that the replacement will be inferior.

If Warner Brothers goes out of business, that market is large enough such that another company will buy up their properties and start cranking out similar films as fast as they're capable of. If GPA were to go out of business, how long could it be before someone else steps up to offer the same service? I think it would happen, but there's a decent chance it could take a few years, and a MORE than decent chance that the service wouldn't be nearly as easy to use as George's is. Also, unless they were to buy George's data, we'd lose the sales history GPA has built up since they started in 2002. If I remember correctly, George has the same day job I do--web software development, both project-based and consulting-based, using Microsoft technologies. His site has a great design with high interactivity and efficient use of dynamically-generated graphs and AJAX. It's a great, easy-to-use site that when compared to the majority of sites out there related to comic book back issues is absolutely outstanding. My expectation would be that any site which replaces it would most likely not be as good.

So essentially it's no big deal if Warner Bros. goes under b/c somebody else is there to fill the void. I guess there's something to that. Although the people at Warner's might have a problem with that. And FT's position was one about financial loss to George, not one of finding a suitable replacement for what he provides. 2 different things we're now talking about.

But is this personal? Because he provides you a service that nobody else can whereas there are plenty of movie studios so you just don't care as much? I don't know, just sounds like more excuses to legitimize stealing from one entity and not allowing it from another because you have a more personal connection to it in some form.

And again, not saying that I condone any of it. Maybe that's the wrong term. Let's say I am not a proponent of requesting GPA data but I'm also not on the front lines trying to bayonet folks for asking. I just find it uncouth the way people bag on folks for asking for GPA data. And yes, I still find it hypocritical because from my seat, stealing, borrowing, what have you still takes money away from somebody's pocket. I can't legitimize it being ok to take from Warners but not from George. I don't buy that argument. That's just how it is.

ps For the record, I borrow and lend out DVD's as much as the next guy. I don't ask for GPA data but i'm not saying I would never. But again, i'm not the one making arguments that it's okay to essentially steal from one and not the other.

So essentially it's no big deal if Warner Bros. goes under b/c somebody else is there to fill the void. I guess there's something to that. Although the people at Warner's might have a problem with that. And FT's position was one about financial loss to George, not one of finding a suitable replacement for what he provides. 2 different things we're now talking about.

If financial loss to GPA ends up ending their service, then finding a replacement should DIRECTLY influence your decision as to whether you rip them off or not. In fact, it's the primary reason I mess all over the "give me GPA data free" threads. It's the same reason so many people make it a point support their local comic shop, because they like having one locally.

It is a big deal to rip off Warner Brothers, and it's not OK. I don't do it, because they have consistently produced quality animation and movies for a century and I prefer to support companies who do good work. However, the economy of scale is there such that it's less damaging if you do rip them off. That doesn't mean it's right in the slightest, and I agree, it's a hypocritical point of view. Yet it's still accurate.

The comic book back issue market is fragile. It's shrinking every year. It is essentially a withering market. Movies are not a dying market, and that industry is not fragile at all. The more you rip off comics sellers or buyers, or as is the topic of this thread, comic book services, the more you're contributing to this market's inevitable withering. Apart from the morality or ethics, it's a simple fact of economics.

If financial loss to GPA ends up ending their service, then finding a replacement should DIRECTLY influence your decision as to whether you rip them off or not. In fact, it's the primary reason I mess all over the "give me GPA data free" threads. It's the same reason so many people make it a point support their local comic shop, because they like having one locally.

It is a big deal to rip off Warner Brothers, and it's not OK. I don't do it, because they have consistently produced quality animation and movies for a century and I prefer to support companies who do good work. However, the economy of scale is there such that it's less damaging if you do rip them off. That doesn't mean it's right in the slightest, and I agree, it's a hypocritical point of view. Yet it's still accurate.

The comic book back issue market is fragile. It's shrinking every year. It is essentially a withering market. Movies are not a dying market, and that industry is not fragile at all. The more you rip off comics sellers or buyers, or as is the topic of this thread, comic book services, the more you're contributing to this market's inevitable withering. Apart from the morality or ethics, it's a simple fact of economics.

Good analysis and perspective and I agree with all of this except for the s%(*ing on of people who ask for the data. One doesn't have to condone it or enable it by providing the data. But one also doesn't need to be a jagoff about it.

It's nice to see that somebody can be impassioned about GPA and yet still be objective enough to realize thievery is still thievery even if the end result to the victim(s) can be severe or minute.

Good analysis and perspective and I agree with all of this except for the s%(*ing on of people who ask for the data. One doesn't have to condone it or enable it by providing the data. But one also doesn't need to be a jagoff about it.

The service probably doesn't provide the value to you that it does to me. I will absolutely continue being a jagoff to the people who keep trying to get it for free around here because I want GPA to stick around. :preach::makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

The service probably doesn't provide the value to you that it does to me. I will absolutely continue being a jagoff to the people who keep trying to get it for free around here because I want GPA to stick around. :preach::makepoint: :makepoint: :makepoint:

(thumbs u +1

(thumbs u +1

lol okay, to each his own I suppose.

I just think it'd go over better to politely inform somebody that what you think they are doing isn't kosher instead of making them feel like krap. After all, I haven't seen anybody singled out as a GPA freeloader. It's typically some noob who doesn't know better and doesn't mean any harm. Who knows, with a little honey maybe they will see the virtue of picking GPA up for themselves. Personally, if I didn't know better and received the typical "warm" response the GPA foot soldiers unload, I might say "F that guy" and "F GPA". But that's just me.

You may now continue with your regularly scheduled flogging of noobs. :D

It's nice to see that somebody can be impassioned about GPA and yet still be objective enough to realize thievery is still thievery even if the end result to the victim(s) can be severe or minute.

By this rationale then (and I concur that your analysis is well thought out), the staunch opponents of sharing this info ALSO need to begin being MUCH more considerate to those who make the mistake of asking for info that is a social "faux paus"? Because, it seems to me, jumping all over these individuals versus taking the same amount of time to type a pleasant and helpful response is also damaging to the hobby? No?

Maybe being a little bit nicer would play out well for ALL parties involved... I'm willing to do try it if the rest of you are?

I don't know if it is something George has considered.

He should have, i already made this suggestion a few years ago, in this thread (featuring OldGuy, Nik, chrisco37, Mr. Zipper, scottish, MK, benz, and my fellow french comics collector, CK59 :insane:) .

Count me in the camp of someone that would gladly pay for GPA on a per use basis. Or even a "10 look-ups for $15", or something along those lines as opposed to a yearly subscription.

Or hey...

Just get George to ask the mods to make a sticky in all forums saying that GPA requests are verboten.

That would of course be contrary to what George himself has said he wants, no? Or does George not know what is best for George?

True, but most people seem to be defending George despite his statements that he doesn't mind the occasional request for data on the boards.

He's smart enough to know he can't regulate what goes on here or what takes place in PMs or offline.