• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it just me or are Modern CGC 9.6's worthless

102 posts in this topic

If anybody has any modern Batman 9.6s that are 'worthless', send them to me - I'll gladly pay the shipping (thumbs u

Then I won't even tell you about my CGC 9.4 Batman up for sale right now. That should go for pennies. :insane:

Whatisitwhatisitwhatisit????

Exception, exception, exception, and.....exception.

I see your Preacher #1-4, Harby #1, Y #1, and Walking Dead #1- what, 5?

And raise you the entire run of Action Comics from #587-800.

And throw in the entire runs of Spawn, Savage Dragon, and any comic with the words "Young", "Blood", and/or "Shot" in their titles, discounting variants, to boot.

Oh, and anything that Valiant produced from 1993-1995, sans variants.

And...every X-Book from 1993-2009.

(thumbs u

Not everyone can afford 9.8s of everything. 9.6s get trashed way too much. 9.6s are perfect for those who want a pretty solid collection without spending the extra money. I remember back in the day when I was putting together my Copper X-Men collection I was spending 50-150 per slab for a 160+ slab run. Do the Math. Even at 50 per slab, it's $8,000. You could put together a 9.6 run for alotttttt less than that.

You could put together a 9.6 run for alotttttt less than that.

---------

which is kindah the point of this thread? it's just that when the 9.6ses don't sell for the cost of the slab (at the very least), then they're pretty much worthless to get slabbed. not that the books are ugly or krappy, just that the market doesn't value them much. actually, it should be cost of slab + raw value of book + some hassle premium. dunno what that means for your run of the mill book, but it should be at least $20-25 in my eyes unless there are some big bulk discounts that lower the $15 modern slab cost number a lot (is it still even $15? that doesn't even include shipping...)

And throw in the entire runs of Spawn, Savage Dragon, and any comic with the words "Young", "Blood", and/or "Shot" in their titles, discounting variants, to boot.

(thumbs u

No need to raise. Just call him.

MCMiles has a Preacher 1 in 9.6 in his sales thread for $70. Go ahead and take it off his hands, drake.... :grin:

---------

which is kindah the point of this thread? it's just that when the 9.6ses don't sell for the cost of the slab (at the very least), then they're pretty much worthless to get slabbed. not that the books are ugly or krappy, just that the market doesn't value them much. actually, it should be cost of slab + raw value of book + some hassle premium. dunno what that means for your run of the mill book, but it should be at least $20-25 in my eyes unless there are some big bulk discounts that lower the $15 modern slab cost number a lot (is it still even $15? that doesn't even include shipping...)

This is a point I was making in another thread...it's not as if 9.6 moderns "have zero worth"...it's that they aren't worth the cost it takes to get them into 9.6 slabs, and people who want them are going to have to start paying some sort of "service premium" for them.

If slabbing was, start to finish, $5, there would be a lot more demand for these books. As it is, however, the cheapest book is now $13.60 (if you can get a 20% discount) and shipping both ways makes it about $20...at the cheapest. That's not taking into account the value, if any, the book has on its own.

The reality is, the days of everyone slabbing whatever, and then dumping the junk they don't want/like/didn't get the grade they wanted are over. It's just not cost effective to do this anymore. So, you're just not going to be able to find people willing to sell you a (pulls random book out of the air) Uncanny X-Men #429 in 9.6 for $5 when it cost them $20 to get it slabbed, but more importantly, you're not going to be able to find them in slabs at all, unless it makes money for the slabber.

And if you're not willing to pay $30 at least for a 9.6 random whatever, or aren't willing to slab it yourself, you can pretty well forget owning these slabs.

Ya know?

---------

I think the unstated point for modern 9.6s is they are common enough raw that to buy slabbed is probably redundant. Even paying $15 for a 9.6 that could be found raw for $4-$6 means an extra expense.

The Law of Unintended Consequences:

Since so many modern books are utterly "worthless", even in 9.8, are we, now that the love affair with getting anything and everything slabbed is over, going to start seeing some sort of "modern rarities" in very high grade in the relatively distant future, because they weren't slab worthy, and thus are ignored and mistreated because of their lack of perceived value?

Or, like most of late Bronze on, are they just going to sit in 9.8 raw in collections until such time as it's worth slabbing?

I'm going with the latter, but you never know...print runs are nothing compared to 1975-1995

---------

I think the unstated point for modern 9.6s is they are common enough raw that to buy slabbed is probably redundant. Even paying $15 for a 9.6 that could be found raw for $4-$6 means an extra expense.

Yeah, but the point then becomes the slab and the label. To a lot of people, just saying "yeah, it's a raw 9.6" means nothing. It is getting it into that slab with that label that is the point (to them.)

(thumbs u

No need to raise. Just call him.

MCMiles has a Preacher 1 in 9.6 in his sales thread for $70. Go ahead and take it off his hands, drake.... :grin:

Actually I will be getting some graded books back from WW Philly

Preacher 1 9.6 SS double signed

Preacher 2 9.6 SS double signed

Preacher 3 9.6 SS double signed

Preacher 4 9.8 SS double signed

courtesy of Mutantkeys :)

The Law of Unintended Consequences:

Since so many modern books are utterly "worthless", even in 9.8, are we, now that the love affair with getting anything and everything slabbed is over, going to start seeing some sort of "modern rarities" in very high grade in the relatively distant future, because they weren't slab worthy, and thus are ignored and mistreated because of their lack of perceived value?

Or, like most of late Bronze on, are they just going to sit in 9.8 raw in collections until such time as it's worth slabbing?

I'm going with the latter, but you never know...print runs are nothing compared to 1975-1995

Most books are bagged/boarded now, so I agree with you on the latter.

The print runs are small, but it's the collector base that will have to expand to drive demand for moderns.