• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paramount won’t show critics the gi. joe movie, will appeal to patriotism

35 posts in this topic

Lonesome Dove was a GREAT series. Once Upon a Time in The West was good also. True Grit and Josey Wales were great. Diidn't care for the Yellow Ribbon one. Shanandoah was good. What was the name of the one with Sharon Stone playing a gunfighter? I forget. It wasn't bad.

More recent I liked was Unforgiven. More believable as to how things may have actually been. Heck. Almost any Clint Eastwood movie was good. Even the Rawhide series on TV.

Sharon Stone was in " THE QUICK AND THE DEAD " with Gene Hackman.

DRX

Don't forget John Wayne , The Searchers and She Wore A Yellow Ribbon .

I just watched them on Comcast on demand recentally and

found Red River and Stagecoach much more appealing. I guess I like my John Wayne movies in black n white.

People in the end will vote with their wallets.

Reviews are reviews and are not necessarily correlated with box office performance.

This is the day of the internet. Even if they hold the movie back from reviews as much as possible, come Day 1, there will be more than enough reviews online to read.

This is the day of the internet.

That RockMyMozartFalco poster guy would have dropped the old "and then came the internet" line right in there. It would have been a dramatic drop as a single sentence paragaph set between two giant big block paragraphs of unreadable claptrap. I like that Falco guy.

It's usually a bad sign when studios don't show their films to critics beforehand.

As far as I've seen, it's ALWAYS a sign that the executives found out during early screenings that critics were going to blast it, so they refuse to show it further so as not to water down opening weekend box office totals. Whatever caused them to decide this, it wasn't that "patriotism" BS they told the press. :screwy:

Personally, I love it. Movie critics are just above trial lawyers on my list of loathsome occupations with no social merit whatsoever.

Go see it, or don't. Love it or don't. At least make up your own mind, and not rely on the opinion of some self-important, psuedo-intellectual movie critic whose only real work in life amounts to flipping through a theasaurus for new adjectives to use.

the concept that we only now are seeing thoughtless, action-dominated movies is...well, it's ridiculous. no offense, but these sort of movies have been made FOREVER, summertime tent-pole all-action-no-plot movies are a staple of Hollywood and have been for decades, and saying that "Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say." demonstrates a pretty uninformed view of how Hollywood works.

Transformers 2 is no watershed, any more than Pearl Harbor was, than The Mummy was, than Hook was, etc etc etc

i don't think anyone with a great deal of knowledge regarding cinema would argue that we were in any sort of renaissance this past decade. quite the contrary

I had a feeling we would be on the same page on this. (thumbs u

the concept that we only now are seeing thoughtless, action-dominated movies is...well, it's ridiculous. no offense, but these sort of movies have been made FOREVER, summertime tent-pole all-action-no-plot movies are a staple of Hollywood and have been for decades, and saying that "Before Transformers 2 people cared about making a good movie because they did not want it to get panned by critics, thereby losing a ton of money going on what the critics say." demonstrates a pretty uninformed view of how Hollywood works.

Transformers 2 is no watershed, any more than Pearl Harbor was, than The Mummy was, than Hook was, etc etc etc

i don't think anyone with a great deal of knowledge regarding cinema would argue that we were in any sort of renaissance this past decade. quite the contrary

I was just reading the other day that there is a strong belief that "word of mouth" has become paramount to the success or failure of a movie. Also, the belief that the first 72 hours of "word of mouth" after opening will largely define the whole release of the movie.

The "information age."

I was just reading the other day that there is a strong belief that "word of mouth" has become paramount to the success or failure of a movie. Also, the belief that the first 72 hours of "word of mouth" after opening will largely define the whole release of the movie.

The "information age."

I guess we can throw out all the pre-"information age" information. It's all rubbish now... the internet has reinvented the wheel!

Personally, I love it. Movie critics are just above trial lawyers on my list of loathsome occupations with no social merit whatsoever.

You've got good reason to feel that way; the vast majority of critics are sheep who aren't going to see a film without bias they already know other critics will bash, and this one falls into that category. A movie inspired by a children's toy would have to be undeniably groundbreaking to get a majority of positive reviews. However, in all of my experience, if the Rotten Tomatoes rating is too low, i.e. if a LOT of critics bash a movie, SOMETHING's wrong that I end up agreeing with. Although that doesn't necessarily mean the movie isn't entertaining anyway despire its glaring flaws, which is why I did enjoy movies like Fantastic Four 2 and Transformers 2.

It's usually a bad sign when studios don't show their films to critics beforehand.

As far as I've seen, it's ALWAYS a sign that the executives found out during early screenings that critics were going to blast it, so they refuse to show it further so as not to water down opening weekend box office totals. Whatever caused them to decide this, it wasn't that "patriotism" BS they told the press. :screwy:

Go see it, or don't. Love it or don't. At least make up your own mind, and not rely on the opinion of some self-important, psuedo-intellectual movie critic whose only real work in life amounts to flipping through a theasaurus for new adjectives to use.

lol

(thumbs u

This is the day of the internet.

That RockMyMozartFalco poster guy would have dropped the old "and then came the internet" line right in there. It would have been a dramatic drop as a single sentence paragaph set between two giant big block paragraphs of unreadable claptrap. I like that Falco guy.

All true.

Twitter, people. Twitter is what determines the success or failure of a movie now.

And then came the Twitter.

Why, Tupenny....I do believe you are mocking me, my good man. I say.

You gotta sing it..."And then came Maude...."

But, you know, only after you've run the joke into the ground.....that's when it's REALLY funny...