• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the last CLASSIC COVER as noted by Overstreet?

68 posts in this topic

This is a good question. You may be able to find out the most recent classic cover designation by posting this question in " Ask CGC"....it's probably in their data base. An email to Gemstone may also shed some light...as it is most cetainly going to be in their data base. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Then you get into the classic cover swipes.

I love swipes! Are any Adams' Bat covers considered 'Classic' ?

Not by Bob Overstreet.

But I would put TEC #400 and Bats #232 and #251 at the top of any classic covers list.

Bats #227 does not qualify as it is a "swipe"

I know the Bats #251 is considered "classic" on the CGC label.

We had a short thread about this subject in the Copper forum: "Classic Cover" in the Copper Age. The latest example that we found was the Iron Man #128 (as far as what CGC puts on their labels).

Not by Bob Overstreet.

But I would put TEC #400 and Bats #232 and #251 at the top of any classic covers list.

We had a short thread about this subject in the Copper forum: "Classic Cover" in the Copper Age. The latest example that we found was the Iron Man #128 (as far as what CGC puts on their labels).

So does that mean this one will get the "Classic Cover" treatment?.... :grin: :grin:

83498.jpg.19661cd79825dfe82c873599cf7495a1.jpg

Not by Bob Overstreet.

So does that mean this one will get the "Classic Cover" treatment?.... :grin: :grin:

No, no, of course not.

It will be called "Portada Classica!!"

;)

Not by Bob Overstreet.

No, no, of course not.

;)

I almost peed shorts!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Not by Bob Overstreet.

83498.jpg

No, no, of course not.

;)

th_Batman-Canadian-23.jpg

Couverture classique?

Not by Bob Overstreet.

No, no, of course not.

;)

I almost peed shorts!! :roflmao: :roflmao:

Wait, I did that wrong....

¡¡Portada Classica!!

MUCH better...

;)

th_Batman-Canadian-23.jpg

Couverture classique?

I can't see the pic on this computer (Goverment)...what is it of....

The French/Canadian version of the #251 - Batman et Robin

:o :o :o :o I got to get home, I have got to see it!! Do you own it?? What year is it from? Is there a Bat 227?? I'll be home in 20 minutes...

O yeah ..that works!!! Thanks RockMyAmadeus.. That's sick! Does anyone have a site where these covers might be at?? Sorry for going off topic on the "classic covers" theme...

Can't help you with that, but I do have one of the earliest Overstreet Classic Covers.

Thrilling Comics # 7, August 1940 (Classic Schomburg cover and his first cover for Nedor/Standard.)

I know this doesn't help answer your question, its just another opportunity to show off one of my favorite books. :P

ThrillingComics7cgc90f.jpg

Not to put down a beautiful and desirable book, but exactly what makes this a classic cover, over any other book from the period?

In my way of thinking, a classic cover would be one that was the first of a "theme" that was used by artists through the decades. That is the diffinition I would use.

Nice book, but I honestly don't understand how that one gets classic designation? Apparently the GA community considers it classic?

"Classic" is only a useful designation to the extent that collectors generally agree that a cover is somehow iconic or unusually outstanding. Obviously that can be subjective, and I don't think anyone thinks Overstreet has a great handle on what to classify. Ideally I think the designation would be market driven. If a book clearly demands a significant premium based on nothing other than the cover...well, that would be a "classic cover."

But there's no system to figure this out.

No, this one is probably one of the least known of the Overstreet "Classic Covers". Its rarity actually keeps it from being better known and more desired. Its on people's want lists, but its a tough, tough book to find.

Unlike Bronze or Copper Age books, a book like this is truly "rare" in any grade. Only five copies exist on the census, and besides the Mile High 9.6, no other copies but my own has graded higher then Fine.

As for the asethetics of the cover, you have to judge the cover in the context of its contemporaries, not through the eyes of someone who has collected Coppers, Moderns, etc. Compared to most other covers from the era, this one is a classic, with great detail work by Schomburg in the clothes of the antagonist, the face of the damsel pilot, and even the background of the fields below. Then add in the shock/suspense in the mind of the reader at the impending gory "explosion" as the skull guy is just a microsecond away from impacting against the propeller, and you have all the makings of a pretty unique cover for its time.

Just looks like some guy punching another guy? (shrug)

No headlights, no Hitler, nothing special in my book. I prefer all five of the covers in your signature to this one. I'm not trying to be rude here. But I can usually look at an acknowledged "classic" cover--as this one clearly is based on Overstreet--and spot what it is that makes the cover shine. But this one just has me stumped.

So, if it doesn't have boobs or Nazi's, it doesn't meet the criteria for being a GA Classic cover? :P

In 1940, most of the artwork still centered around the old pulp style of sci-fi story that dominated the comics of the time. The nation hadn't gone to war yet (Nazi covers were around, but not yet overly prevelant), and the GGA craze wouldn't really start until after the war.

For what it is, I think its a great cover of its day...would I say that there are better covers during the GA? Oh yes, most certainly, dozens if not hundreds of them, but as a representative of the early pulp-based days of the Golden Age, its a shining example of how Schomburg's art started raising the bar for all other cover artists.