• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What was the last CLASSIC COVER as noted by Overstreet?

68 posts in this topic

I notice in looking though my Overstreet that most of the issues they have noted as having a "classic cover" are books from the 1940's and 1950's

Does anyone know what book is the "newest" issue to be noted as having a "classic cover" in Overstreet?

Are there any from the 1990's? The 1980's?

I notice in looking though my Overstreet that most of the issues they have noted as having a "classic cover" are books from the 1940's and 1950's

Does anyone know what book is the "newest" issue to be noted as having a "classic cover" in Overstreet?

Are there any from the 1990's? The 1980's?

What would be a ''CLASSIC'' cover? (shrug)

A classic cover as defined in the Overstreet Price Guide.

Certain issues have specific notations in the price guide that the book has a "classic cover".

As defined by Bob Overstreet I guess.

A lot of them are horror covers or patriotic World War II covers it seems.

Eagle Comics Judge Dredd #1 has what I would call a CLASSIC cover. Same could be said of All the covers to Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Many of the Swamp Thing issue's & I could go on..

A classic cover as defined in the Overstreet Price Guide.

Certain issues have specific notations in the price guide that the book has a "classic cover".

As defined by Bob Overstreet I guess.

A lot of them are horror covers or patriotic World War II covers it seems.

That's what he thinks are Classic covers? What he dosen't like the newer books? (shrug)

Can't help you with that, but I do have one of the earliest Overstreet Classic Covers.

Thrilling Comics # 7, August 1940 (Classic Schomburg cover and his first cover for Nedor/Standard.)

I know this doesn't help answer your question, its just another opportunity to show off one of my favorite books. :P

ThrillingComics7cgc90f.jpg

Can't help you with that, but I do have one of the earliest Overstreet Classic Covers.

Thrilling Comics # 7, August 1940 (Classic Schomburg cover and his first cover for Nedor/Standard.)

I know this doesn't help answer your question, its just another opportunity to show off one of my favorite books. :P

Not to put down a beautiful and desirable book, but exactly what makes this a classic cover, over any other book from the period?

In my way of thinking, a classic cover would be one that was the first of a "theme" that was used by artists through the decades. That is the diffinition I would use.

Not to put down a beautiful and desirable book, but exactly what makes this a classic cover, over any other book from the period?

In my way of thinking, a classic cover would be one that was the first of a "theme" that was used by artists through the decades. That is the diffinition I would use.

I don't think their was ever a set criteria for Overstreet Classic Covers, short of a few consensus "Man, that's a cool cover" quotes when Golden Age guys would see a great cover at a convention or something along those lines.

Iron Man 128. Classic Alcoholic Cover? (shrug)

Yup ...... that one is noted as being "classic" by Overstreet.

That one is from 1979 I think?

Anyone know of any more recent?

2636_4_21.jpg3172_4_01.jpg2636_4_33.jpg2636_4_34.jpg2809_4_01.jpg

2636_4_21.jpg3172_4_01.jpg2636_4_33.jpg2636_4_34.jpg

Those aren't classic covers.

Nice book, but I honestly don't understand how that one gets classic designation? Apparently the GA community considers it classic?

"Classic" is only a useful designation to the extent that collectors generally agree that a cover is somehow iconic or unusually outstanding. Obviously that can be subjective, and I don't think anyone thinks Overstreet has a great handle on what to classify. Ideally I think the designation would be market driven. If a book clearly demands a significant premium based on nothing other than the cover...well, that would be a "classic cover."

But there's no system to figure this out.

Too me they are. :cloud9:

(thumbs u

But I think "classic" implies that most collectors think a book is highly desirable based on a cover.

I have a whole list of covers that I consider "classic" that others probably have never thought of as anything special. That's part of the fun of collecting!

2636_4_21.jpg3172_4_01.jpg2636_4_33.jpg2636_4_34.jpg

Those aren't classic covers.

I think WATCHMEN #1 might be noted as a classic one day. Same thing for Swampy #34

But no way does Swampy #33 qualify because it is a "classic cover swipe" of HOS #92

Then you get into the classic cover swipes.

I love swipes! Are any Adams' Bat covers considered 'Classic' ?

Not by Bob Overstreet.

But I would put TEC #400 and Bats #232 and #251 at the top of any classic covers list.

Bats #227 does not qualify as it is a "swipe"