• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popeye Feature Book (nn) -- my baby finally came home!

68 posts in this topic

FFB owed me thousands from a gambling debt, I told him if he said nice things about me we would be settled up. I think he oversold it a bit. :blush:

Seriously though, if you told me 4 years ago I would be here at this point in my life I would have thought you daft. Matt took a huge risk when he opened up the Wonka Factory to train me, and I busted my hump trying to make it all work, so far so good.

The best part is we are just getting started, lots of new stuff down the pipe.

Now enough with the Ziggy feel good talk, I got a big enough noodle as it is and I am quite sure people tire of hearing about me.

It almost makes me want to go out and buy a beater just to see what I could get back.

we've always believed that much of the stigma attached to restored comics comes from the fact that so many collectors don't really understand what restoration can (and can't) do.

I do agree about peoples perception of what resto is might not be accurate, or even fair. I think this is due in part to seeing bad resto, and resto done to books that didn't need it. This is a huge turn off to many collectors. But a cover reinforced at the staples to prevent the cover from falling off should not be looked at as the franken book it often times is.

Ultimately I would like to see a more conservative path to comic restoration similar to what is standard practice in most Historical Document Conservation. Basically not working on or adding anything that isn't necessary unless it can be done in a way that fits seamlessly with the book. Like Cheezy's Feature book, the CT was basically solid colors and dramatically improved the appearance without seeming forced.

Other times ext. CT seems like it is overkill and only done to improve the apparent grade when selling. But this is what drives and separates our hobby compared to repairing a historical document.

OK, I am officially rambling! :D

Great book, great results!

Congrats, Kenny, on your move to CI. I knew you had come a long way, but didn't realise the full extent of your prowess. Well done indeed.

A truly incredible transformation. Ze-man, this is the single most amazing piece of conservation/restoration work I've ever seen. CheezyWhiz, thanks for sponsoring and then sharing it. Wow, wow, wow ......

:o:applause:(worship)

Since there seems to be interest in this book and I have dozens of photos uploaded from all my update PM's to Cheezy I thought I would post them for those that care to see the work in progress.

This has to be one of the most documented books ever worked on, or it was at least the biggest! Sorry for the different sized photos, they were already uploaded and I am not about to resize them all.

Cover before and after cleaning/leafcasting

jeepcoverbefore-1.jpg

jeepcoverafter-1.jpg

jeepcoverinteriorbefore-1.jpg

jeepinteriorafter-1.jpg

After interior cover was CT'ed

closeuponintCT.jpg

Centerfold before and after. Shows how supple the is page now.

beforeinner-1.jpg

centerfoldafterct.jpg

1flex2.jpg

centerfoldflextest.jpg

Book before and after structural work, no CT

BCclosespinebefore-1.jpg

spinebcafter.jpg

closeupfinalcolor.jpg

FCspinelongbefore.jpg

spineinteriorafter.jpg

spinefcafter.jpg

One of countless interior wraps that was missing paper, Before and after leafcasting.

wrapinnerclosespineb4-1.jpg

wrapinnerspinecloseafter-1.jpg