• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Savage Tales...featuring Ka-Zar!

10 posts in this topic

Hello, folks!

I just noticed that a few of these issues have art by Russ Heath, who's one of my favorite recent "discoveries."

So are the stories any good? Opinions?

I loved the art and the stories because of the format were a bit more on edge than the tame stuff you read in the color comics. Many people have also said the same thing about Savage Sword of Conan compare to the color comics run.

However, I am going be memory as I read these many many years ago...and will again one day...but not today. :)

I really don't think you will be dissapointed. :wishluck:

I have been trying to find a high grade Savage Tales #1 for the longest time :cry:

I cherry picked Ebay for 2 years before CGC started slabbing mags. You basically cant find any cause i've got them all ;)

Honestly, the Heath stuff in Savage Tales is inked by others (the Crusty Bunkers, a catch all name for whoever was around and had time at Continuity Associates the day a particular page was inked) and the quality varys depending on who inked it. Some of it looks pretty good. Some not so much.

Here is a link to a page with some Neal Adms inks:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lf1ycYAH0As/SeiiFNkjf1I/AAAAAAAALJ4/clsAYbg8T94/s1600-h/10p.JPG

I have been trying to find a high grade Savage Tales #1 for the longest time :cry: [/quote

How hi grade?

9.4 or better, or 8.5 or better?

9.0-9.2 or better,but 8.5s are looking better and better.Ones in the 9s are hard to come by (shrug)

Honestly, the Heath stuff in Savage Tales is inked by others (the Crusty Bunkers, a catch all name for whoever was around and had time at Continuity Associates the day a particular page was inked) and the quality varys depending on who inked it. Some of it looks pretty good. Some not so much.

Here is a link to a page with some Neal Adms inks:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lf1ycYAH0As/SeiiFNkjf1I/AAAAAAAALJ4/clsAYbg8T94/s1600-h/10p.JPG

Thanks, Creepy46.

Gotta say, that's a bit of a disappointment to me. I was expecting something along the caliber of his mid-seventies Warren stuff.

You would think a team up between Russ Heath and Neal Adams would be a match made in heaven.

Maybe Heath was someone who adjusted or tweaked things after he penciled them (most of his 70's Warren work is like 40% pen lines and 60% wash rendering that may not have been clearly indicated in the pencils as it would have been difficult to erase under his carefully managed tone work) and others had a hard time figuring out what his intentions were .

Oh well.