• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shark and Flatrock's Chicago Comicon Picture Report

45 posts in this topic

Flatrock02 (Mike) and I spent the entire day yesterday at the Chicago Comicon at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Illinois. We arrived about 9:30 AM. Mike and I only live about 90-100 miles from the convention center so it was a nice short ride in. We always have plenty of topics related to comics to chat about on the ride over. (thumbs u

The first stop was to see Matt Nelson at the Classics Incorporated booth. I brought 13 books for him to proscreen and I elected to have 7 of them pressed. I think it's the first time I've met Matt in person and he seems like a heck of a nice guy. I was very happy with the grades he was estimating on the books he kept. :grin:

We then ran into skypinkblu (Sharon) and her husband. She then promptly introduced us to GACollectibles (Andrew) and chatted with him for a little while. I tried to get a pic of both Sharon and Andrew but was politely turned down. :/ I think Mike and I split up about that time.

I next headed to the CGC booth to turn in a bunch of comics for Signature Series signings with Dan Slott, Brian Pulido, Jim Valentino, J. Scott Campbell and Gary Friedrich (some of which I will be selling when I get them back). I met Ali-Jae, Gemma and Kevin Boyd for the first time and they were all great to work with. The post that Kevin has in the Signature Room area about how to prepare comics for Signature Series really helped out a lot. The whole process seemed pretty seemless because I had all of the comics and paperwork prepped ahead of time.

A picture of Ali and Gemma is shown below.

Comicon2009-12.jpg

One of the first places on my agenda to visit was the HotFlips booth. I got to meet both Jeff and his brother (name?) at the booth. I picked up another 200 of those sweet CGC Flip-n-Stick bags. Those bags are crystal clear compared to what you get direct from CGC and they make slabs look even better. :applause:

Comicon2009-23.jpg

I told Jeff that Comic Supply is doing a great job of promoting business for Hot Flips. :roflmao:

Of course a comic con report wouldn't be complete without a bunch of pictures of hot babes. I seem to have a built-in radar for good-looking girls and there were a bunch of them in Chicago. Here's a few for your viewing pleasure:

Comicon2009-3.jpg

Comicon2009-8.jpg

Comicon2009-13.jpg

One of the greatest things about this particular comic con was our ability to meet a bunch of CGC board members for the 1st time. Below is a list of those boardies I remember meeting (help me out here Mike....I may have left off a few):

143ksk

A Baker Girl (Lou)

arexcrooke

BlowUpTheMoon

Buck Biggins

Detective27Kid (Rick)

DrWatson (Jim)

greggy

HOTFLIPS (Jeff)

KingofRulers

October

r1970d (Roy)

Scrooge

seanfingh (Sean)

shiverbones (Matt)

skypinkblu (Sharon)

Transplant

Ze-Man (Kenny)

I commended Sharon, Andrew and Jim for all of the great work they did in putting on the fundraising auctions for Nik and his family. Major kudos again to all 3 of them! (worship)

I was supposed to meet seanfingh when we first got to the show to pick up the Amazing Spider-Man #25 CGC 8.0 that I won and that Sean graciously donated for the Nik auctions. We played phone tag for a while but finally hooked up in front of the HotFlips booth around 12:30. Here's a pic of the ASM #25:

AmazingSpider-Man25CGC80.jpg

Thanks again Sean! Very nice copy! (thumbs u

I also made it a point to take plenty of pictures of some costumed characters. Here are a few of them:

Comicon2009-1.jpg

Comicon2009-2.jpg

Comicon2009-5.jpg

Comicon2009-7.jpg

:gossip: Looks like Thor needs to go on a diet but that last girl was HOT!

The guy on the right is John Hauser. I think a lot of board members either know or are at least aware of John's existence. Nice guy to work with. John has sold at the Rockford Comic Con the last 2 years. And is that Jerry Garcia on the left looking through the comics? hmlol

Comicon2009-10.jpg

And here's a pic of Marty (the one on the left) who is one of the main characters on the TLC show "Little People, Big World". He seems a little arrogant and antagonistic on the show but was very pleasant in person.

Comicon2009-6.jpg

And last but not least, the only board member who allowed me to take a picture.....sweet Lou! :banana:

Comicon2009-18.jpg

:gossip: Lou is better looking in person than she is in pics here on the boards. Her and Roy look like a great couple.

That's all folks! :acclaim: