• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting story at Kinko's...

26 posts in this topic

As an artist who has had his work ripped off (and foolishly used in the same market, although they settled out of court for a tidy sum haha), I appreciate that Kinkos is looking out for infringement, even if they are really only covering their own butts. That being said, I'd argue "fair use" or something similar. Sound like you know what you're talking about and most clerks will believe you.

Well, I went into Kinko's so I could use their large scanners. I wanted to get scans so I could post the images on my CAF page. Well, the lady who was operating the scanner was either having a bad day or just didn't like the looks of me. doh!(shrug)

I don't think I've ever received a nastier look in my life, as the attendee said "I don't think I can scan these. Did you draw these?"

As I told her that, no, I was not the artist, and these were recent acquisitions I made, she said "Well you don't have copyrights for these pieces. You aren't allowed to sell them and redistribute them as your own."

I was at a loss for words, but after asking several questions to find out why 1) she was being such a person_without_enough_empathy, and 2) why she would assume I was going to do something unethical without asking me the reasons for wanting scans, she proceeded to have me fill out a paper that said I wasn't breaking any copyright laws.

Has anyone else had any trouble scanning your artwork at a Kinko's/Fed Ex store?

I get that all the time at kinko's I tell them I am an artist and the art is mine and I need scans to send to the publisher. It works every time. I even had a cute attendee ask me for a sketch once so I did her a quick sketch of spider-man. It helps if you can draw so if you are put on the spot you can produce a sketch.

Was helping an artist friend put together a book once, Kinko's needed a letter from the artist releasing them, put it together in two seconds in MS Word and the artist signed it. Kinko's was cool with it, looked at it and gave it back to me. They didn't even need to put it on file. From that point on they bent over backwards to help me image over 600 originals and thanked me for choosing Kinko's. They also gave me two discounts - one as a "professional" and another volume-based.

It's easier to make friends than antagonize.

It's also just as easy to gin up a fake letter or lie. However that's a slippery slope for those that also take a hard view (in other posts) of art dealers and collectors acting in less than honorable ways in our hobby. I'm really just tossing a jab here, but some would see it as hypocrisy.

Having been taken advantage of several times in my early days collecting, I don't like shady one bit. It would be nice if nobody ever lied, however that moral is put to the test millions of times a day - every time a significant other asks "Does this dress make my butt look big?"

Sigh. :)

It's easier to make friends than antagonize.

It's also just as easy to gin up a fake letter or lie. However that's a slippery slope for those that also take a hard view (in other posts) of art dealers and collectors acting in less than honorable ways in our hobby. I'm really just tossing a jab here, but some would see it as hypocrisy.

I'll be the first to admit I lie. If lying gets me around an insufficiently_thoughtful_person clerk or silly corporate rule that's arbitrarily standing in the way of me making a copy of something I own for personal use and I KNOW I'm not doing anything wrong, I'll lie every time.

To equate that to lying in an art transaction where someone is actually going to get hurt (either by overpaying or buying something they don't know about) is reaching about as far as comparing it to telling your wife you like that ugly tie she bought you last year.

Not even apples and oranges. More like apples and cars.

Ruben

http://shop.ebay.com/*collectingfool*/m.html