• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Twenty Rarest DCs Ever.

58 posts in this topic

You have the Elson's that high? I've had many of them - maybe its a regional thing? I got them from people in the Midwest.

Maybe it is. Most people have never seen them. There's a similar set from Lionel Playworld that's equally rare. I had terrible trouble finding them. But then again, More Fun 127 is supposed to be exceptionally rare, yet I have two copies.

Have to agree on the HOM # 17.

Gaping hole in my collection. AND the wife is setting

next to me, so if someone were to mention the price

of a f/vf copy, she'd axe me quick.

Also find it difficult to find a semi-affordable

My Greatest Adventure # 2, key word semi-affordable.

I notice you had MGA on the 'sets to keep' thread, which did impress me as I collect all those anthology series. Great book. Does GCD have a picture of HOM17 ? The site seems to be down now, so I can't check.

I notice you had MGA on the 'sets to keep' thread, which did impress me as I collect all those anthology series. Great book. Does GCD have a picture of HOM17 ? The site seems to be down now, so I can't check.

House Of Mystery 17 is proving horribly obstinate and unfindable.

Which is a shame, cos as a kid I loved the House Of Mystery Silver Age classics. Part of what makes me collect DC today. Especially the one where an alien has caused a huge dead area, and the hero had to reach the centre, while againg a year a second, or something like that. I know what issue it's in from the cover, but without getting them all out, I can't tell you the number. None of which helps me get a number 17.

I was watching a copy of More Fun #127 on Ebay last week. $63 bucks....I'd say not too rare.

Well it's still worth considerably more than $63.

There's not a single issue of More Fun in any grade worth less than two hundred bucks.

I was asked to throw my opinion into a discussion on the Gold forum, which I misunderstood. Rather than want a list of the twenty rarest Dcs, they just wanted me to put the most valuable ones like Superman 1 and Action 1 into order of rarity.

I was much more interested in the list of which DCs actually WERE the rarest.

Here in my humble but hopefully qualified opinion, is the ACTUAL list of the twenty rarest DCs.

1 - DOUBLE ACTION 1

2 - NEW ADVENTURE 13

3 - BUZZY 70

4 - DOUBLE ACTION 2

5 - ACTION COMICS "THE VIGILANTE" 1947 THEATRE GIVEAWAY

6 - SUPERGEAR

7 - THE SUPERMAN BRADMAN COMIC

8 - THE FAT AND SLAT JOKE BOOK

9 - NEW ADVENTURE 26

10 - JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS 12

11 - FEATURE FILMS 4

12 - THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS

13 - FLASH 56

14 - HOUSE OF MYSTERY 17

15 - NEW FUN 6

16 - "FREIHOFER'S" ALL AMERICAN COMICS GIVEAWAY

17 - NEW COMICS 1

18 - DETECTIVE 2

19 - SUGAR AND SPIKE 2

20 - MORE FUN 14

Now remember, this has nothing to do with either value or desirability.

Just purely based on rarity alone.

And four of those are from the 1950s and two of them are much later, but no less rare.

The other fourteen are all Golden Age.

And I myself don't have eight of the twenty.

But in my learned opinion, those are the twenty rarest DC comics.

I cannot agree with most of these books on your list. CBM did an extensive article years ago on the 100 rarest books, and only 6-7 or so of your picks were on that list! Just because you do not have a book does not mean it's rare. I'll bet you picked up a few truely Rare books in the 70's and 80's that you have not given a second thought too!

timely

Timely

I was asked to throw my opinion into a discussion on the Gold forum, which I misunderstood. Rather than want a list of the twenty rarest Dcs, they just wanted me to put the most valuable ones like Superman 1 and Action 1 into order of rarity.

I was much more interested in the list of which DCs actually WERE the rarest.

Here in my humble but hopefully qualified opinion, is the ACTUAL list of the twenty rarest DCs.

1 - DOUBLE ACTION 1

2 - NEW ADVENTURE 13

3 - BUZZY 70

4 - DOUBLE ACTION 2

5 - ACTION COMICS "THE VIGILANTE" 1947 THEATRE GIVEAWAY

6 - SUPERGEAR

7 - THE SUPERMAN BRADMAN COMIC

8 - THE FAT AND SLAT JOKE BOOK

9 - NEW ADVENTURE 26

10 - JACKIE GLEASON AND THE HONEYMOONERS 12

11 - FEATURE FILMS 4

12 - THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS

13 - FLASH 56

14 - HOUSE OF MYSTERY 17

15 - NEW FUN 6

16 - "FREIHOFER'S" ALL AMERICAN COMICS GIVEAWAY

17 - NEW COMICS 1

18 - DETECTIVE 2

19 - SUGAR AND SPIKE 2

20 - MORE FUN 14

Now remember, this has nothing to do with either value or desirability.

Just purely based on rarity alone.

And four of those are from the 1950s and two of them are much later, but no less rare.

The other fourteen are all Golden Age.

And I myself don't have eight of the twenty.

But in my learned opinion, those are the twenty rarest DC comics.

I cannot agree with most of these books on your list. CBM did an extensive article years ago on the 100 rarest books, and only 6-7 or so of your picks were on that list! Just because you do not have a book does not mean it's rare. I'll bet you picked up a few truely Rare books in the 70's and 80's that you have not given a second thought too!

timely

Timely

Jeez Timely,...don't you know there there is no other reality outside of Levine's world...if he says they are the rarest then by God they are!!! ..The Great Levine has spoken!!!

What were the sources for CBM's list? Would seem difficult to have a better source than a guy who has been spending 30+ years pulling together all the DC's.

Just cuz they printed a list dont make it so.

Jeez Timely,...don't you know there there is no other reality outside of Levine's world...if he says they are the rarest then by God they are!!! ..The Great Levine has spoken!!!

you're odd.

What were the sources for CBM's list? Would seem difficult to have a better source than a guy who has been spending 30+ years pulling together all the DC's.

Just cuz they printed a list dont make it so.

I am not sure where the sources came from as I read the article 8 years ago or so, however they seemed to have done their homework. If I remember correctly the first 20 on the list were one-of-a-kind items. A few on this list were items that only DC had the actual comic (like an ashcan) and would make Ian's quest to own every DC impossible.

I believe the All Star Ashcan was near the top of that list, only 2 known copies. I remember they had a list of known copies next to each issue. Books like Buzzy #70 may be scarce but I doubt that book would even hit the top 200 rarest books, much less top 20. I should dig out that old CBM.

Timely

BTW a guy who completed his Detective run a few years back said the last issue he found for his run was #188, again that does not neccesarily mean it's the rarest Dectective. I'm sure Ian had his copy of #188 for a long time.

Timely

Figuring out rarity is a tough thing. I've flipped a few books over the years thinking they were easy to find when in fact they proved impossible to recover. Suspense 4, Giant Comics Editions 12, Catman 13, Weekender (2/1) proved to be a few examples. While books like Flash 56, Famous Funnies 2 and Great Comics 3 (which I thought were ultra rare) turned out to be easy finds time and time again. Sometimes it takes a few times looking for a book and a few opinions to really figure things out.