• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Long, boring, Chicago report with very few pictures.

40 posts in this topic

Thanks for cutting me out of the pic. :mad: At least I got the consolation prize of getting to sit next to Barb. :whistle:

Shuttle to the train station. Notice: Joey is sleeping in both pictures. It's a good thing Drew is a firefighter and knows how to handle an unconscious person.

chicago09044.jpg

Is this before or after Jim realized he had to pizz like a racehorse?

A group shot waiting for the train.

chicago09046.jpg

So anyway more boredom ahead.

Not really, I'm going to cut it short. Sort of.

I'll add this:

The best part of this convention for me was the time spent with some people I've become really good friends with. Most of those times weren't even on the con floor. It was the lunches, dinners, and after hours hanging out that were the best times. Lots of good laughs and good company.

I have to make a special mention about the auction to benefit NIk's family, MCed by Donut with most items donated by Steve Borock. Well done, and a real classy event. Thanks to all.

Some observations from the convention floor:

It seemed as if most quality material was overpriced. I looked at a lot of slabs, most were priced way over GPA, and many were double or more. I say that mostly in reference to Silver Age and Bronze Age. Higher grade GA was also priced aggressively, but can probably be justified more easily. I also got the impression that people are starting to price their raw books at what it might press to, instead of what it actually is, even when it had no chance of being pressed to a better grade.

Along with pricing, grading is all over the place from dealer to dealer. At times I also noticed it was very difficult to get some help. IMO, the smart dealers know how to qualify a customer in a friendly way and then allow the right ones to come behind the tables and look at the "good" stuff at the customers own leisure.

Many dealers seemed to just be bothered or angry. I think that may have to do with the customer base. Many are "hawks". The ones that get word of a new collection and hover around, or worse start flipping lids off boxes, trying to get first shot at the "good" stuff. I myself want to get a shot at sweet books, and the sooner the better, but I just can be pushy enough to dig through someone's inventory while they are trying to get set up, or hang around and start pulling books that haven't even been processed asking "how much"

There are also the low-ballers. We all want to get the best deal possible, and you don't get mess if you don't ask for it, but when the seller knows you intend to possibly press and definitely flip, it might be good for future purchases to accept what ever discount the dealer offers, even if not much. Of course that would be based on the original asking prices being based in reality. Oddly, being "pushy" still seems to get many folks further than being courteous

I also saw a customer ask a dealer to hold some very nice books for him. A day and a half later the books were unpurchased still, and never were, the only thing accomplished was the books being unavailable to purchase by anyone else. The tactic used by the customer pretty much just assured that no one else would be able to buy the books while said customer shopped for something better he might want to spend the money on. I'm sure that is acceptable in some cases depending on the dealer/customer relationship, but the end result is still unpurchased books that could have been sold to someone else.

At any rate, add to all of that having to compete with a strong on-line market and many venues for collectors to sell their books direct, and I can see why some dealers may be frustrated with he current customer base.

In closing, I'd like to let everyone know I had a blast getting to visit with them and I'm glad I got to meet some more boardies or the first time. My good friends know who they are so I don't need to single them out. I can't wait to see you guys again in October.

There are some dealers I'd like to mention are always friendly and easy to deal with even though, I don't always find something to buy from all of them. Those are Bedrock Comics, Dale Roberts, JHV, Jamie Graham, and Captain Jacks. At this show I had my first ever transactions with Ted at Superworld (well, I dealt with Andy but still met Ted) and Steven Ritter at World Wide Comics. Thanks for some nice books guys.

Shuttle to the train station. Notice: Joey is slepping in both pictures. It's a good thing Drew is a firefighter and knows how to handle an unconscious person.

chicago09044.jpg

chicago09046.jpg

Holy....

I knew I was out of it but I had no idea I was comatose. Thats what anything with oxy and soma in it will do to you.

Shuttle to the train station. Notice: Joey is slepping in both pictures. It's a good thing Drew is a firefighter and knows how to handle an unconscious person.

chicago09044.jpg

chicago09046.jpg

Holy....

I knew I was out of it but I had no idea I was comatose. Thats what anything with oxy and soma in it will do to you.

Nah, you always look like you're a member of the Walking Dead.

Seriously Joe, take it easy for a while and get that back healed up in the next few weeks. You can't Press my books properly if you're in pain.... :P

The best part of this convention for me was the time spent with some people I've become really good friends with. Most of those times weren't even on the con floor. It was the lunches, dinners, and after hours hanging out that were the best times. Lots of good laughs and good company.

This weekend is still kind of a blur for me. I think I slept a total of 15 hours those three nights. Lots of fun though.

Some quick observations as I rudely intrude into Mike's thread: :P

- Giordano's pizza rules. Only had one slice of the thick stuff, but man it sure was good.

- Lots of quality stuff to be had if you were willing to work the boxes and not assume that all the good stuff had been cleared out. I found a raw Spidey # 102 in 9.4 on a dealer's wall on Sunday and nabbed it for $175. Lots of good stuff if you were willing to put in the time. I would have easily filled up a long box more worth of Bronze, Copper, and moderns if I had a cost effective way to get it home.

- The dinners and lunches were great, certainly the highlight of the shows is meeting and spending time with the many quality folks in this great hobby of ours.

- Lots of quality material in the room, priced across the gamut from cheap to obnoxiously expensive.

- Canadians sure are surly people...but I love them all anyway. :P

- Southerners cry a lot. Especially at heart-warming tales involving kind acts of generosity by a sweet little girl. (thumbs u

And it doesn't need to be said, but I think when many of us look back at Chicago 2009 at some point in the future, on our minds will be four little words....

Rest in Peace Nik.

We'll miss you buddy.

I also saw a customer ask a dealer to hold some very nice books for him. A day and a half later the books were unpurchased still, ...I'm sure that is acceptable in some cases depending on the dealer/customer relationship, but the end result is still unpurchased books that could have been sold to someone else.

Well said. Must be a good relationship there because otherwise it would make little sense. I usually give customers an agreed upon hold period at shows unless I know them or they are definitely going to buy it.

I've also seen big dealers ask other dealers to put aside a stack for them and they don't get around to purchasing for a day or two or three. I always wonder what happens if they can't agree on a price--then the books would have been off the market the whole show.

Enjoyed your report. There are lots of pictures in other threads but I'd rather read 1000 words. It's just me.