• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So I just got back from shipping off my collection

37 posts in this topic

I did it to raise funds to pay off cancer treatments for one of our pups, so it was at least for a good reason. It's just weird/odd/difficult to send off something I've spent more than half my life collecting, taking care off, and moving around. My collection survived multiple of my mothers divorces, me being in college, and even my marraige. It was really hard packing it up because there were strong memories tied to a large number of the books.

You did the right thing. My cats are MORE IMPORTANT than my comics. (thumbs u

I did it to raise funds to pay off cancer treatments for one of our pups, so it was at least for a good reason. It's just weird/odd/difficult to send off something I've spent more than half my life collecting, taking care off, and moving around. My collection survived multiple of my mothers divorces, me being in college, and even my marraige. It was really hard packing it up because there were strong memories tied to a large number of the books.

Tough as it is to deal with the remorse and the sentimental attachment, at least there's less concern about looking after stuff.

I am becoming very good friends with the notify button.

Bet you owe it money too.

Hate to point this out, but calling you out for bad business practices and unresolved deals is known as fair comment...so you just go on and nuzzle up to that notify button.

Honestly, people have been banned for less here, and here you are throwing your weight around, playing the victim card. That's a hell of a brass neck you have there. You should only be posting that sort of disingenuous bollocks once you've made good on all the transactions that are still outstanding, and not before.

Where's that button??

He's going to wear that button out like a Crack-Monkey.

Thanks everybody.

That sucks. Just remember, you can always rebuy stuff in the future if you want it again. I thinks its part of the fun of collecting. I've sold lots of stuff to raise cash or because I didn't think I wanted it anymore than regretted it.

Also your puppy would be thanking you if he could talk for doing such a good deed. Hopefully he recovers 100% I'd save my puppy too if I had one over some paper collectables

These were my thoughts going into it. I can always replace the comics, but my Sage is the only one of her there is. She means more to my wife and I than any possession we could ever own!

did the pup do OK at least? Is there a silver lining.

I was just shooting a PM to another member telling him that after her first treatment, she seems to be doing better. She has two more treatments to go so hopefully they will get progressively effective :wishluck:

It was hard letting all of my books go (probably more so because of emotional baggage attached to them), but seeing her feel better and just getting to hold her and have her around make every bit of it worth it. (thumbs u

So I just got back from the 24 hour fedex/kinko's from shipping out my comic collection. I sold about 3800 books of my 4000 books. I was hoping that it would be freeing, but really, it was just super depressing. :(

Now, due to circumstances unforseen, I'm going to focus my collecting and reading on three books. I was planning on going to sdcc next year, but now I'm kind of filled with the thought of "what would be the point?"

Shortstack, I am sorry that your thread is getting derailed. I can only imagine how you must feel. I am in constant need for space and do sell off my collection from time to time. There was a storyline that I had given away to a friend and I am still missing it. I never thought I would have a problem let go of any one of my comics but I did. I think about replacing it but somehow it does not feel the same. I suggest just enjoying the 200 issues that you kept and move on from there with the newer collection.

P.S. I hope that you puppy is doing fine.

So glad to hear that the puppy is responding to treatment. I think you will be surprised at how quickly that regret for parting with the books ebbs with each night you spend with her. Once she gets up to speed, those books can be pursued again...this time with different challenges, emotional attachments, and memories...but I am betting they will be good ones!!! :grin:

Sorry dude. Sounds like you've had your fair share of obstacles. Look at the bright side, you get to start over. Fresh books. New memories to make! Stay positive.

It's RMA who almost derailed this thread. :makepoint:

Shortstack, sorry to hear that you had to sell them, especially seeing that you didn't want to and that it was so tough for you. :foryou:

Russ, I enjoyed your stories and I thought they were very appropriate.

Andy

Is appropriate a synonym for 'ironic', Andy?

Sorry dude. Sounds like you've had your fair share of obstacles. Look at the bright side, you get to start over. Fresh books. New memories to make! Stay positive.

I'll second this. Enjoy the books you've kept, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt in replacing the ones you miss.

It's RMA who almost derailed this thread. :makepoint:

Shortstack, sorry to hear that you had to sell them, especially seeing that you didn't want to and that it was so tough for you. :foryou:

Russ, I enjoyed your stories and I thought they were very appropriate.

Andy

Is appropriate a synonym for 'ironic', Andy?

:insane:

I'll second this. Enjoy the books you've kept, and enjoy the thrill of the hunt in replacing the ones you miss.

So sorry to hear about this!

I too have had to take care of a sick dog with cancer this summer. Even after surgery, I had to drive from Orlando to Tampa every day for a month of radiation. I share your struggles both in the vet bills and in the emotional roller coaster you are going through.

Those 200 books should now be treasured even more than they were before. They symbolize that you did the right thing. You should feel proud that you were there for your dog when it counted. Hope everything works out well and things get easier!

I sold about 3800 books of my 4000 books. I was hoping that it would be freeing, but really, it was just super depressing. :(

:gossip: you must sell ALL of them for that to happen....

:slapfight:

No, seriously.

If you were looking for that "freeing" sense, you have to get rid of all of it, no matter what it is. Holding on to a small part only creates that depressing feeling you're talking about.

I'm not trying to minimize your experience, and I feel for your situation. I wish only the best for you and your dog, as a fellow dog lover myself.

(thumbs u