• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

need GPA for Civil War Frontline Wizard World Chicago 9.8

106 posts in this topic

I wasn't implying people are cheap. I was simply offering a perspective.

Many people spend a little here and a little there and everything is relative.

I personally don't care where people spend their money so I'm not really judging anyone...I'm just saying that in this day and age if you have a comic budget I would think this is a very valuable resource.

Again, if it works for you to not have it, then all power to you.

2c

Let me give you another perspective...

If I buy a sub, and check several hundred prices over the course of 2 days...and then don't touch the service again for 4 months....

Is that worth the $41 I have spent for the service?

All depends on what you do with the info really.

Well, then, I'll give you my answer: no way in hell.

(thumbs u

It is a WONDERFUL service, and WELL WORTH the cost, for the people to whom it is useful...people who buy and sell slabs all the time.

I, however, do NOT buy and sell slabs all the time, so the service, no matter how wonderful it is...and it is....is not useful to me all the time.

If my nephews and nieces only visit once a year, why would I buy them an annual pass to Disneyland?

Same principle.

I personally don't care where people spend their money so I'm not really judging anyone...I'm just saying that in this day and age if you have a comic budget I would think this is a very valuable resource.

2c

If I buy a sub, and check several hundred prices over the course of 2 days...and then don't touch the service again for 4 months....

It depends on how much you value that knowledge or those statistics.

(shrug)

Some people find it valuable and some don't. If I find info valuable I'll pay for it even if it's not profitable.

ie. I used to buy sports car mags just to read and dream. I must have spent $50+ a month as a teenager.

Useful? No.

Did I see value in it? Yes.

To me it was money worth "throwing away" because of what I got out of it.

But no one is arguing that the service isn't neat and fun.

And, if one wants to spend $10 a month because it provides them entertainment, then it is money well spent.

But that's not the argument. The argument is "value vs. cost over time."

2c

(shrug)

Some people find it valuable and some don't. If I find info valuable I'll pay for it even if it's not profitable.

ie. I used to buy sports car mags just to read and dream. I must have spent $50+ a month as a teenager.

Useful? No.

And, if one wants to spend $10 a month because it provides them entertainment, then it is money well spent.

Obviously your time is much more valuable than mine.

:insane:

2c

(shrug)

Useful? No.

Obviously your time is much more valuable than mine.

:insane:

My time is more valuable to ME than your time is....and vice versa. Which is how it should be.

(thumbs u

2c

(thumbs u

It is a WONDERFUL service, and WELL WORTH the cost, for the people to whom it is useful...people who buy and sell slabs all the time.

I, however, do NOT buy and sell slabs all the time, so the service, no matter how wonderful it is...and it is....is not useful to me all the time.

If my nephews and nieces only visit once a year, why would I buy them an annual pass to Disneyland?

Same principle.

Sort of. Not entirely. Do you buy one book every four months? If you saved $60 on what you would have paid you're $20 up. If you sell a book for $70 more than you thought it was worth you're $30 up. If you trade a one of three census 9.8 book for... you get where I'm going.

You don't get any other benefits of a Disney pass than going on the rides. And I know you know that.

When I first signed up for GPA, I had problems with WorldPay.

I can't remember what the issue was with me. Something with their system wasn't letting me pay or some such...............anyway, I had the service for a month, logged onto it for about 20 minutes total the entire month so at the time it didn't really strike me as something I was going to use alot, so that combined with the payment issue (of which I can't recall specifically) I just dumped it.

I will say the setup was pretty cool although I never really took the time to understand all of the nuances of the data. Still, I can see how it is very useful to some.

In the end, I mostly buy GA, of which there aren't many recorded sales of books I am after so it doesn't really help me there. And frankly, I know what to pay for the books I am looking for so why pay somebody else to tell me what I already know.

And as for my SA Avenger run. I was able to glean enough info in a brief period of time that it's usefulness became a moot issue.

Now, when I finish my Avenger run I will likely tackle another SA run. When I do, I might pay the $10 and then go through all of the data in one day. Jot what I need down on a cheat sheet, cancel the following month and do it all over when I start another run.

I simply don't buy enough different titles to warrant spending the money on a per month basis no matter how "cheap" it costs.

(DISCLAIMER: This not necessarily a serious offer. Particularly if it could get me in hot water with George.

So consider this post :jokealert: )

If either of you want to pay me $3-5 per month, or per look-up, I'll gladly provide you with some GPA info via PM.

:gossip: check your paypal account.

I suspect my first 3 requests will be taken care of immediately. :grin:

I can't remember what the issue was with me. Something with their system wasn't letting me pay or some such

It was my anti-virus/firewall package that was gicing me problems, the identity theft protection was screwing up my access to WorldPay.

And as for GPA I've found it invaluable since I joined up. I've started to buy and sell a fair few slabs, so it's saved me loads when I've refrained from a slab because I think it's priced too high compared to the data I have at hand, and it's allowed me to price my books ata a reasonable rate and they sell. For £6 a month. I honestly couldn't wipe my *spoon* for that!

I can't remember what the issue was with me. Something with their system wasn't letting me pay or some such

It was my anti-virus/firewall package that was gicing me problems, the identity theft protection was screwing up my access to WorldPay.

And as for GPA I've found it invaluable since I joined up. I've started to buy and sell a fair few slabs, so it's saved me loads when I've refrained from a slab because I think it's priced too high compared to the data I have at hand, and it's allowed me to price my books ata a reasonable rate and they sell. For £6 a month. I honestly couldn't wipe my *spoon* for that!

Sounds awesome. My guess is maybe I will get it full time eventually. But that is if and only if I become a major buyer or seller. Most people here probably have 10x to 100x the collection I have.

I currently own exactly 4 GA slabs. 20 SA Avenger slabs and 1 raw GA book. As you can see, not really alot of reason for me to plunk down $10 a month, even if that's only a "tiny" amount. I can only hope I have enough funny money for comics someday that it will warrant purchasing GPA year round. :wishluck:

Sounds awesome. My guess is maybe I will get it full time eventually. But that is if and only if I become a major buyer or seller. Most people here probably have 10x to 100x the collection I have.

I currently own exactly 4 GA slabs. 20 SA Avenger slabs and 1 raw GA book. As you can see, not really alot of reason for me to plunk down $10 a month, even if that's only a "tiny" amount. I can only hope I have enough funny money for comics someday that it will warrant purchasing GPA year round. :wishluck:

My collection isn't exactly a yardstick to judge by either. The benefit for me though is I tend to move a lot of books - upgrading and moving books that I've outgrown. My collecting over my first year back in the hobby was disjointed, now I've found focus and GPA is helping me.

I'm not preaching go out and buy it, just highlighting the benefits it brings (thumbs u

2c

(thumbs u

Same principle.

Sort of. Not entirely. Do you buy one book every four months? If you saved $60 on what you would have paid you're $20 up. If you sell a book for $70 more than you thought it was worth you're $30 up. If you trade a one of three census 9.8 book for... you get where I'm going.

You don't get any other benefits of a Disney pass than going on the rides. And I know you know that.

I don't buy any slabbed books, but let's consider the merits of your argument...

How does one "save" $60 on "what they would have paid"? According to what criteria? How do you quantify that, especially in an auction, where there are many more factors at play? I would ask "how did you come up with the $60 higher price to begin with?"

"Well, I looked at GPA, and noted the 12 month average was $250, but I was prepared to pay $310"...yeah, and? Where did you come up with that $310 price initially? So you only bid $250, instead of $310... In an auction, what if someone bids $255? You lose. GPA didn't help you there.

What if someone only bids $240? You win at $245, whether you bid $250 or $310 or $10,000,000. Can you say "GPA saved me $9,999,755, because that's what I was willing to pay, so it's worth $10/month"...?

Of course not! So, then, how can you say it saved you $60, or even $1?

Let's, then, consider fixed price sales. If someone were to offer you a book for $310, and you think that's a good price, where did you come up with that information? And, if you then look at GPA and realize the 12 month average is only $250, and counter that to the seller, fine. What if they don't accept? You can quote GPA at them all you want, and it wouldn't matter.

And what's to stop anyone who does NOT have GPA from simply offering $250 in the first place? Bam, they didn't just save $20, they saved $60, no GPA sub needed!

How do you "sell a book for $70 more than you thought it was worth"...? Where did you come up with the initial price to begin with? I have a book that I think $200 would be fair for, but I look at GPA, and see that the 90 day average is $270. So, I offer it for $270...but what if the demand has been satiated for this particular item at this time? GPA doesn't help there, either.

GPA is just data. That's it. And it's not even propietary data, or even secret data. And its not even anyone's OPINION, like the OPG. It's just raw data. It's just "what did someone else pay for this item in the past." Its value lies in its convenience over its information. It is very convenient to have the information in one place, but it's not information that doesn't exist elsewhere (in fact, you can buy the information from eBay, too...at a ridiculous cost.)

You can also check Heritage (free) and see what items sold for, and save $60 instead of $20. You might even be able to check recent ended eBay auctions for the data, and again, save that $60. And...all this information you're talking about can easily be obtained for a one month subscription of only $10.25. There...I just saved $30 more, right?

You can justify anything in your mind that you want, and that's perfectly ok...but the same argument cannot be used to justify the expense to someone else, because it doesn't hold logically. One cannot "save" $60 or "make" $70 more based solely on the information contained in GPA.

It's 3am and I've drunk too much, but OK

How does one "save" $60 on "what they would have paid"? According to what criteria? How do you quantify that, especially in an auction, where there are many more factors at play? I would ask "how did you come up with the $60 higher price to begin with?"

You don't. The seller does. If someone offers a book that has an average sale price of $250 for $310 you don't come up with the price. They did. If the book has a lot of sales and the average is $250 with a high/low of not too big a disrepancy then the book is priced too high for my liking.

I've made an informed decision and not paid $60 over the odds as the chances are the book will become available again at around the average.

"Well, I looked at GPA, and noted the 12 month average was $250, but I was prepared to pay $310"...yeah, and? Where did you come up with that $310 price initially? So you only bid $250, instead of $310... In an auction, what if someone bids $255? You lose. GPA didn't help you there.

What if someone only bids $240? You win at $245, whether you bid $250 or $310 or $10,000,000. Can you say "GPA saved me $9,999,755, because that's what I was willing to pay, so it's worth $10/month"...?

No don't be daft. If you have the data there you're not going to bid that much anyway are you? Again, in an auction you make an informed decision with the data you have at hand and bid accordingly. Win, lose, it doesn't matter, you've made an informed decision. Get it for less - bonus. Miss out - unlucky.

Let's, then, consider fixed price sales.

Talked about that earlier sorry.

How do you "sell a book for $70 more than you thought it was worth"...? Where did you come up with the initial price to begin with? I have a book that I think $200 would be fair for, but I look at GPA, and see that the 90 day average is $270. So, I offer it for $270...but what if the demand has been satiated for this particular item at this time? GPA doesn't help there, either.

Of course it does and you know it does. And you can only try and sell a book for more than it's worth. If someone is trying to sell a book that goes for, say, in the region of $200 for, say, $270 - nobody with GPA access is likely to go for it. You know how much GPA info sways a deal and I know you do.

GPA is just data. That's it. And it's not even propietary data, or even secret data. And its not even anyone's OPINION, like the OPG. It's just raw data. It's just "what did someone else pay for this item in the past." Its value lies in its convenience over its information. It is very convenient to have the information in one place, but it's not information that doesn't exist elsewhere (in fact, you can buy the information from eBay, too...at a ridiculous cost.)

And data - facts - help us make informed decisions.

You can also check Heritage (free) and see what items sold for, and save $60 instead of $20.

Not anymore. Unless I have that wrong.

You might even be able to check recent ended eBay auctions for the data, and again, save that $60. And...all this information you're talking about can easily be obtained for a one month subscription of only $10.25. There...I just saved $30 more, right?

Ebay doesn't go into anywhere near as much depth as GPA. Does eBay provide Heritage data? Clink data? No.

You can justify anything in your mind that you want, and that's perfectly ok...but the same argument cannot be used to justify the expense to someone else, because it doesn't hold logically. One cannot "save" $60 or "make" $70 more based solely on the information contained in GPA.

Probably not make money agreed, but I've saved money on books using GPA data, so one can "save" $60 - or whatever figure you want to throw in there.

Wow. Finally someone who types more than me.

lol

You just NOW realize that...?

(thumbs u

I was too busy typing to realize it.

It's 3am and I've drunk too much, but OK

You don't. The seller does. If someone offers a book that has an average sale price of $250 for $310 you don't come up with the price. They did. If the book has a lot of sales and the average is $250 with a high/low of not too big a disrepancy then the book is priced too high for my liking.

I've made an informed decision and not paid $60 over the odds as the chances are the book will become available again at around the average.

Not in an auction, they don't.

These two paragraphs were premised on AUCTIONS, as was stated already, not fixed price sales. See below.

I won't even discuss the ADDITIONAL qualifications you just now tossed into the argument ("lots of sales", "book will become available again at around the average", etc.) which further alter your point.

No don't be daft. If you have the data there you're not going to bid that much anyway are you? Again, in an auction you make an informed decision with the data you have at hand and bid accordingly. Win, lose, it doesn't matter, you've made an informed decision. Get it for less - bonus. Miss out - unlucky.

Daft! You said you would have "saved" $60. By that same exact logic, if you were willing to pay $1000, then you would have "saved" $750. Etc, etc, etc.

If the logic works at "$60", it has to work at $1 or $1000, too, or it's no good.

Let's, then, consider fixed price sales.

Talked about that earlier sorry.

Well, then, do you want to take this moment to address auctions then? ;)

Of course it does and you know it does.

Bollocks. You are trying to argue from illogic, not logic. GPA doesn't help in this scenario because GPA cannot PREDICT future demand...it can only report PAST demand. You know, the whole "past performance does not guarantee future results" thing?

In fact...and this is critical to why your argument fails...holding to GPA data can actually COST me money, especially for a well traded book, because the "last sale" may be for a good chunk off the 90 day average, or the 12 month average..and I don't see this as a trend, so I refuse to sell "at GPA" at that time..and I wait until the price comes back up...and wait...and wait...and wait...and when I finally do sell, the price has dropped so much, I've lost a boatload more than I would have if I had just sold it for a fair original asking price.

This has actually happened. I looked at the averages and felt I should rightfully expect THOSE, instead of seeing the downward trend and getting out while I could at then current prices. The book didn't sell for "the average", and the prices steadily dropped and dropped and dropped until I had to sell for substantially less..all because I relied on GPA data when I shouldn't have.

Do I blame GPA? No, of course not! But by the same logic, I cannot CREDIT GPA for "saving" me money on any particular purchase, or making me money either.

It's just data.

And you can only try and sell a book for more than it's worth. If someone is trying to sell a book that goes for, say, in the region of $200 for, say, $270 - nobody with GPA access is likely to go for it. You know how much GPA info sways a deal and I know you do.

Who said it didn't? And the info does, of course, sway a great deal of sales on the CGC board, because it is real time data on what anything has sold for, if it has sold on the sites that GPA records.

But the CGC boards are not the world of slabs, and not even a good sized chunk of it.

Do you really believe that most people who buy slabs even know about GPA?

I doubt it.

And data - facts - help us make informed decisions.

It is how you INTERPRET that information that helps you make an informed decision.

You can also check Heritage (free) and see what items sold for, and save $60 instead of $20.

Not anymore. Unless I have that wrong.

You have that wrong.

You might even be able to check recent ended eBay auctions for the data, and again, save that $60. And...all this information you're talking about can easily be obtained for a one month subscription of only $10.25. There...I just saved $30 more, right?

Ebay doesn't go into anywhere near as much depth as GPA. Does eBay provide Heritage data? Clink data? No.

The vast majority of slabs are still sold on eBay. I was merely citing ONE source of data, "and I know you know that." ;)

Probably not make money agreed, but I've saved money on books using GPA data, so one can "save" $60 - or whatever figure you want to throw in there.

Like I said...you can justify the cost of GPA to yourself in any way that works for you, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that...but your argument cannot withstand a logical dissection. I understand what you're meaning to say, but it doesn't work the way you've said it, mate.

I am NOT trying to dismiss GPA or say anything other than it's a wonderful service...it is, and I feel like I have to repeat that...I was just arguing that your specific examples don't hold up logically, and thus cannot be included in a cost/benefit analysis of GPA. They are pure hypothesis, and cannot be demonstrated conclusively with any real world examples, so your "it pays for itself" argument is moot.

(thumbs u

2c

(thumbs u

Same principle.

I don't buy any slabbed books, but let's consider the merits of your argument...

Of course not! So, then, how can you say it saved you $60, or even $1?

Let's, then, consider fixed price sales. If someone were to offer you a book for $310, and you think that's a good price, where did you come up with that information? And, if you then look at GPA and realize the 12 month average is only $250, and counter that to the seller, fine. What if they don't accept? You can quote GPA at them all you want, and it wouldn't matter.

And what's to stop anyone who does NOT have GPA from simply offering $250 in the first place? Bam, they didn't just save $20, they saved $60, no GPA sub needed!

You can also check Heritage (free) and see what items sold for, and save $60 instead of $20. You might even be able to check recent ended eBay auctions for the data, and again, save that $60. And...all this information you're talking about can easily be obtained for a one month subscription of only $10.25. There...I just saved $30 more, right?

Fuck me. doh!

You've got to be a barrel of laughs on a date.

'Oh, Rocky, it wasn't a bad film, but I'm not sure it was worth $10?'

:eek: