• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will WOLVERINE L. S. #1 in cgc 9.8 one day be below $100.00?

24 posts in this topic

I had no idea how many slabbed 9.8 Wolvie L.S.#1's are out there! is this issue going to become worthless overtime? I mean when I bought one (now my sisters) these rarely popped up, but NOW?? there everywhere! :o if this keeps up will this issue's value one day go below $100.00?

I had no idea how many slabbed 9.8 Wolvie L.S.#1's are out there! is this issue going to become worthless overtime? I mean when I bought one (now my sisters) these rarely popped up, but NOW?? there everywhere! :o if this keeps up will this issue's value one day go below $100.00?

There are 916 slabbed copies in 9.8 - highest price recorded in GPA is $410. Even with almost 100 sales every year, demand still keeps the price up.

There are 916 slabbed copies in 9.8 - highest price recorded in GPA is $410. Even with almost 100 sales every year, demand still keeps the price up.

Does ASM #252 9.8 reached 900 slabbed copies yet? Thats the only other book I can see on this level but still has the demand and sales to maintain over $150 for all this time.

I shouldn't talk to soon because I just picked up a copy for $167 (Buyer's premium and S/H included! :o ) A year and a half ago that was unheard of. The only reason I haven't picked one for in the last couple years is because they were selling for $300-$500, especially during the Spider-Man 3 days.

Does ASM #252 9.8 reached 900 slabbed copies yet? Thats the only other book I can see on this level but still has the demand and sales to maintain over $150 for all this time.

I shouldn't talk to soon because I just picked up a copy for $167 (Buyer's premium and S/H included! :o ) A year and a half ago that was unheard of. The only reason I haven't picked one for in the last couple years is because they were selling for $300-$500, especially during the Spider-Man 3 days.

:o

Amazing price!

:applause:

There are no other 80's books that come close to the numbers of Wolvie #1 in terms of 9.8s. There are 885 Universals in 9.8. The next highest, without painstakingly searching the census, is likely Spidey #252, with 310 copies in 9.8U. Spidey #300 only has 215 copies in 9.8U, despite being the second highest submitted of all time.

I would imagine that Wolverine #1 is the highest on the census in 9.8 of any book, across the board. I think you would have to go to Spidey #36 vol 2 to approach those numbers, and that has 862.

I doubt anything else comes close.

There are no other 80's books that come close to the numbers of Wolvie #1 in terms of 9.8s. There are 885 Universals in 9.8. The next highest, without painstakingly searching the census, is likely Spidey #252, with 310 copies in 9.8U. Spidey #300 only has 215 copies in 9.8U, despite being the second highest submitted of all time.

I would imagine that Wolverine #1 is the highest on the census in 9.8 of any book, across the board. I think you would have to go to Spidey #36 vol 2 to approach those numbers, and that has 862.

And the demand for the book is still strong enough to command a $200.00 price tag for a 9.8? :o

i didn't realize that going below $100 made a book "worthless"

there should be a ton of 9.8s of this book.

anyone have any idea what the print-run was? my gut tells me it had to be one of the biggest in the 80's.

the only difference between 80's speculation books and 90's speculation books is that the 80's books were more likely to have just been speculated on in bulk by dealers, while in the 90's collectors got into the game buying 500 or whatever copies of some issues too. mainly, just a difference in magnitude, but you still had dealers buying 1,000+++ copies of certain early/mid 80's books because back then it was a lot easier to sell a 60 cent cover price "hot" book for $1 (as opposed to today's $2.99 "hot" book selling for $5) and even if you sold it for 50 cents you could make a little bit of money.

i didn't realize that going below $100 made a book "worthless"

there should be a ton of 9.8s of this book.

Not really ''worthless'' but if somebody was hopeing to make a lot of money on this issue there out'a luck.

Yes.

Am I right that this is _the_ most submitted book of all time? And we think what? only 1-2% has been submitted so far? It's an "entry level" key, just like "Spectacular Spider-Man # 1" is for Bronze.

Yes.

Am I right that this is _the_ most submitted book of all time? And we think what? only 1-2% has been submitted so far? It's an "entry level" key, just like "Spectacular Spider-Man # 1" is for Bronze.

Yes, it just recently overtook Spidey #300 as the most subbed book of all time.

:insane:

As far as print run, I'm guessing it was perhaps as much as 750,000 copies.....

I'll have to pull out an X-Men from the year and check the SOS to get relative numbers...

my gut tells me that wolvie 1 had a bigger print run than the generic x-men of that year...people knew it was coming

obviously it was still a solid book...i don't remember it ever becoming 50 cent box material like other highly speculated books of that era: Dazzler 1, Moon Knight 1, Alpha Flight 1, etc. I do remember 15 years ago you could get pristine minty copies at shows of the Wolvie LS like busted out of the case yesterday for like $3 or so, probably cheaper in quantity. But hey, 15 years ago many of us were buying a lot of silver age and decent bronze age books for $3 a pop, so everything is relative. Seriously, nothing could compare to whatever piece of krapola Image was pumping out that week.

Did some research...I was wrong, it looks like Spidey #1 (1990) is the all time leader of 9.8s, with a mind numbing 1506 silvers (gotta be the leader) and another 1011 of the "green" version...Wolvie #1 looks like third.

X-Men #1 has numbers in the 600's....

I also see the census has finally been updated, so excuse me while I peruse for a while. ;)