• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lawyers & Comic Books - Board Knowledge Sought

26 posts in this topic

This probably won't come as a surprise to many but I am working on a project reviewing how lawyers have been utilized in comic books. This will hopefully become a book project but at the very least it appears that it should be an exhibit at a major University's law school next year.

I am looking to identify any covers or stories that depict lawyers. If a particular character, whether superhero or nemesis, is an attorney by day, that too would be helpful.

Any assistance would be appreciated!L

DD is the prime example. Around #32 of the current volume, Matt Murdock was 'outed' by a newspaper as DD. He sued (he denied their claim, and they had no proof), but it was an ethical risk whether he won or not. There was another arc a couple years ago where he unsuccessfully defended another hero caught in a very compromising position by the cops. Lots of courtroom stuff in that arc.

Jessica Walters, aka She-Hulk, is also a lawyer. The Dan Slott-written series in the last few years focused on that fact, and led to some very amusing plots. Really liked that run.

X-Men #200 (original series) has Magneto on trial at the World Court in The Hague.

Further afield, FF #261-262 has Reed Richards on trial in some kind of galactic court for the crime of saving Galactus's life.

Howdy Board Member.

How about Marvel Two-In-One #37

Matt Murdock defends The Thing in a personal injury case.

I will have more lawyer comic info to follow.

Cordially,

Cortez

Here is another lawyer tidbit excerpt.

Hope it's interesting.

"Silver Age Comics

Mostly Dedicated to Comics Published from 1955-1970

Monday, April 20, 2009

Single Issue Review: Two-Gun Kid #70

"The story ends on a very odd note. The Two-Gun Kid, in his real identity of Matt Hawk, defends Hurricane in court (just as another lawyer named Matt would often defend the criminals he brought to justice as Daredevil). And the frontier justice turns out to be pretty forgiving:"

Source:

sacomics.blogspot.com/.../single-issue-review-two-gun-kid-70.html -

Cordially,

Cortez

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two-part story in Astro City: Local Heroes, believe it was Astro City: Local Heroes # 4-5. _Great_ intersection of superheroes and lawyers.

Memory's foggy but I think it was a class action lawsuit by the victims of a bank robbery suing the city because the perps disguised themselves as innocent civilians.

Anybody remember the details better?