• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the rarest SS books due to the death of the signer?

47 posts in this topic

I got this one signed by Dave Cockrum just before he passed and its the only CGC SS copy:

To clarify, it's the only CGC SS copy of that book. There are other Dave Cockrum SS books out there.

thats what i meant but thanx for clarifying (thumbs u

OK, here goes from what I know:

- Jim Aparo: I think there were 6 books done by him at the 1 show he signed at before his death. I did 3 (sold 2 before he died), and know of at least 3 others.

- Will Eisner: I believe the total is just under 20 books total. I did the majority of them. I have 2 left (not for sale) and the rest I sold to 1 guy overseas 2 weeks before Eisner's death. There are a few others that were done at the Paradise comics show he did that are owned by various individuals who will remain unnamed.

- Dave Cockrum: Somewhere in the range of 30-40 have been done. I have a few still in my collection.

- Mart Nodell and Jim Mooney I would say probably less than 10 each.

- Marshall Rogers: Not sure, but he did do a few shows before his death. I would guess around 20.

- Mike Wieringo: Same, he probably has a few but not lots.

- Michael Turner: I would guess over 1000 were done by him.

- Arnold Drake: not many, most likely 5-6.

- Fred Kelly (creator of the original Mr. Monster): only 1 as he died shortly after the show I got this book done at.

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of now.

Alex

OK, here goes from what I know:

- Jim Aparo: I think there were 6 books done by him at the 1 show he signed at before his death. I did 3 (sold 2 before he died), and know of at least 3 others.

- Will Eisner: I believe the total is just under 20 books total. I did the majority of them. I have 2 left (not for sale) and the rest I sold to 1 guy overseas 2 weeks before Eisner's death. There are a few others that were done at the Paradise comics show he did that are owned by various individuals who will remain unnamed.

- Dave Cockrum: Somewhere in the range of 30-40 have been done. I have a few still in my collection.

- Mart Nodell and Jim Mooney I would say probably less than 10 each.

- Marshall Rogers: Not sure, but he did do a few shows before his death. I would guess around 20.

- Mike Wieringo: Same, he probably has a few but not lots.

- Michael Turner: I would guess over 1000 were done by him.

- Arnold Drake: not many, most likely 5-6.

- Fred Kelly (creator of the original Mr. Monster): only 1 as he died shortly after the show I got this book done at.

I am sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of now.

Alex

:o Wow......... I'd love an Aparo, but had no idea he was that rare. As for Wieringo and Rogers, I'm shocked there are so few. I thought both were fairly popular and would have many more than that available. I remember a Wieringo CGC SS book bringing about $150-180 a few months ago, rought 3x what I expected. I'll be more agressive next time......

Not to be macabre, but there are a lot of other creators that everyone might be interersted in that have gone to the great beyond with some SS books (or maybe not):

Creig Flessel

Dave Stevens

Drew Hayes

Stephen Hughes

I'd love a Flessel or Stevens!

mmmmmmm.....Rocketeer by Dave Stevens......... :luhv:

Wouldn't that be awesome :cloud9:

You know what's really sad/stupid? I considered myself a fan of Dave Stevens in general and the Rocketeer specifically and had no idea that the man was ill. None. I considered him young and thought he would be around for years to come.

Just goes to show......you've gotta let folks know what they mean to you while they're here. Not just comics people, but everybody.

I'd love a Flessel or Stevens!

mmmmmmm.....Rocketeer by Dave Stevens......... :luhv:

Provided some were done, I will have a Dave Stevens some day. I think a very few Flessels were done. Boardie Hawkman has one and so does FFB (both pre-Batman 'Tecs if memory serves).

- Dave Cockrum: Somewhere in the range of 30-40 have been done.

I wouldve thought there would be a slew of signed Cockrum books!

Bad news.....I can't find a Rocketeer book SS at all. :(

There is a couple of Starslayer #1s that had the ad on the back if memory serves, but what are the odds anyone got that done?

That is just nuts. :(

Are there any signers that are rare because they hate signing books?

(this rarity has happened before with certain celebrities that hated giving autographs)

Like I said, I don't know much about SS books.

Are there any signers that are rare because they hate signing books?

(this rarity has happened before with certain celebrities that hated giving autographs)

Like I said, I don't know much about SS books.

One guy that is notorious is David Mazzuchelli. Supposedly, he threw a monster hissy fit about slabbing at one point. One of the old guard probably knows the whole story.

Aparo's are tough. I think AlexH has at least one but it's an Byrne cover with Aparo interiors. :( Honestly I think it's the only one I have seen a scan for.

Marshall Rogers aren't too bad. I had Detective 475 signed by him that I got from Beyonder. I sold it to SkinnyWhiteBoy.

there are 5 aparo's I have one.