• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 1 CGC 9.4

37 posts in this topic

I'll have to check my CBM's later to get the data on the WM AF 15...

At the time it sold for about $39,000. Not sure why, but the Overstreet from the next year described the book as being a VF even though the AAC graders gave it grades that averaged somewhere around 92/94.

I'm pretty sure the AF15 that sold on Heritage is the same copy Mark Wilson currently has up for sale. The book in the scan on Heritage's permanent auction archive and the scan on Mark's web site look exactly alike, anyway, and they both have off-white pages.

At the time it sold for about $39,000. Not sure why, but the Overstreet from the next year described the book as being a VF even though the AAC graders gave it grades that averaged somewhere around 92/94.

Not 100% sure here, but I think it was $33K without the buyer's premium. And yes, there was considerable disagreement over the grade....wasn't the lowest grade by one of the committee graders a VF 87 or so?

Not 100% sure here, but I think it was $33K without the buyer's premium. And yes, there was considerable disagreement over the grade....wasn't the lowest grade by one of the committee graders a VF 87 or so?

Yea some of the grades were in the VF range, although two of them gave it a 98 also to bring the average up. I've got the Sotheby's catalog where this was sold along with a printout of the auction totals; when I posted the following message saying it sold for $39,100, I looked up the exact amount from the auction totals:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=silver&Number=343888#Post343888

My copy was not sold at $95,000.

If anyone knows the first CGC 9.4 sold at auction for around $55,000, this is the copy that Mark Wilson currently has for sale on his site. The 9.4 copy that Showcase New England and I sold was the Diamond run and was first offered for sale in San Diego 2000 during the Jay Perino heyday buying spree. The asking price was $100,000 which brought up a number of chuckles from other dealers. The Diamond Run copy sold for $86,000. Jay Perino passed on the book, didn't feel it was worth the price since the only other 9.4 sale had been the copy sold in auction for $55,000. However, Immediately after "our" sale another CGC 9.4 was sold for $80,000. A 9.6 was rumored to have sold, it has been sold, I am not sure what the price was.

A 9.6 was rumored to have sold, it has been sold, I am not sure what the price was.

Do you know who supposedly sold it? I heard a possible sales result of $160,000 from a highly unreliable source who I'm no longer on speaking terms with (guess who 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ), but if you think the same person sold it that this person told me, maybe he's right.

What I don't get about the AF 15 CGC 9.6 is about 6 months after this person told me it sold for $160K, CGC put their census up and there was no CGC 9.6 copy in there. A few months after that, I read a quote from Borock in the Comics Buyer's Guide that said CGC had indeed graded a copy of AF15 at CGC 9.6...however, it wasn't in the census, so I said to myself--WTF? A few months after the article it did indeed pop up, but not in the NEXT census update, it was at least two updates after I had read the CBG article. Probably just a data export problem from their internal systems to the web site, but who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

If it's in the census than it does exist.

As I stated I have an idea who currently owns it and I have a very strong idea who sold it. But sorry, I'm not posting it.

Some sales are private for a reason, they want to be private sales.

A 9.6 was rumored to have sold, it has been sold, I am not sure what the price was.

Do you know who supposedly sold it? I heard a possible sales result of $160,000 from a highly unreliable source who I'm no longer on speaking terms with (guess who 893scratchchin-thumb.gif ), but if you think the same person sold it that this person told me, maybe he's right.

What I don't get about the AF 15 CGC 9.6 is about 6 months after this person told me it sold for $160K, CGC put their census up and there was no CGC 9.6 copy in there. A few months after that, I read a quote from Borock in the Comics Buyer's Guide that said CGC had indeed graded a copy of AF15 at CGC 9.6...however, it wasn't in the census, so I said to myself--WTF? A few months after the article it did indeed pop up, but not in the NEXT census update, it was at least two updates after I had read the CBG article. Probably just a data export problem from their internal systems to the web site, but who knows? confused-smiley-013.gif

Vinny or Steve from Metropolis posted on the boards awhile back that they sent in the AF 15 CGC 9.6 to be graded. So, I am assuming that they sold the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea some of the grades were in the VF range, although two of them gave it a 98 also to bring the average up. I've got the Sotheby's catalog where this was sold along with a printout of the auction totals; when I posted the following message saying it sold for $39,100, I looked up the exact amount from the auction totals:

If I remember correctly didn't David T. Alexander make that purchase

If I remember correctly didn't David T. Alexander make that purchase

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Actually the lowest grade given was a 92. The 2 who gave it a 98 was Joe Veranault and John Hauser! 893frustrated.gif

My copy was not sold at $95,000.

If anyone knows the first CGC 9.4 sold at auction for around $55,000, this is the copy that Mark Wilson currently has for sale on his site. The 9.4 copy that Showcase New England and I sold was the Diamond run and was first offered for sale in San Diego 2000 during the Jay Perino heyday buying spree. The asking price was $100,000 which brought up a number of chuckles from other dealers. The Diamond Run copy sold for $86,000. Jay Perino passed on the book, didn't feel it was worth the price since the only other 9.4 sale had been the copy sold in auction for $55,000. However, Immediately after "our" sale another CGC 9.4 was sold for $80,000. A 9.6 was rumored to have sold, it has been sold, I am not sure what the price was.

Have you seen the AF #15 CGC 9.4 on ebay right now? One day sale. Fake or real auction?!?

Timely

Vinny or Steve from Metropolis posted on the boards awhile back that they sent in the AF 15 CGC 9.6 to be graded. So, I am assuming that they sold the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Do you remember how long ago this was, or in which forum?