• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What type of books do you get signed?

12 posts in this topic

Im new to getting books CGC SS, but I have been collecting comics off and on for 25 years. The delima I am facing is what books do I get signed the common filler type books or go with the vaulble ones that tend to have the coolest covers? For example I have a Suydam regular zombie cover of "Man with No Name" and the virgin zombie cover, which one to chose ???

I would just like an idea of what people prefer to get signed. Personally what I get signed is for my collection or gifts to close friends.

If you had to choose a variant over a regular cover I would always rule in favor of the variant (in this case the Virgin cover)

When getting books SS its all about personal preference. I like getting at least one signature from every artist I meet SS.

For me I look for the following things when deciding what books I am bringing to a show to get done

#1 Number of potential autographs I can get on a comic at a show

(if I can get a book signed by like 3 or 4 or MORE of the artists attending a show then I am more then likely going to bring that book)

#2 Census info/GPA/Condition

(this will give me an idea of any resale value if I choose to resell the book)

Hope that helps,

Dan

I think it all boils down to your own personal preference. Personally i'm a fan of getting the variants SS'd because it adds to their uniqueness (nothing says headsketch like a variant cover :D ) Typically the variant artiest will not be the interior artiest so you have an extra sig opportunity right there!

I definitely agree with Dan that opportunity does influence what i will get done; if I know I can get multiple creators on a particular book than it will take priority over other books.

The only time I tend to choose a regular cover over a variant is if the print run was very low or if i just plain :cloud9: liked :cloud9: the cover.

**BTW* Welcome to the boards!

I like celebrity sigs now. I have a very small collection now of my keepers, but it's always fun to get a cool combination for customers.

I have had some great books pass through my hands. My favorite of course was the Captain Savage #1 CGC 9.8 that Grails sent me to get signed. I was a twitch nervous.

I think you answered it yourself by saying they were just for you and friends. ;) I love my HTD 1 in 9.0 signed by Brunner mainly because it's a British Pence copy, but it might not sell as high as the regular. I'm more into the uniqueness of it. :)

But, you never go wrong with a higher grade when considering moderns. A 9.4 variant cover will often sell for less than a 9.8 regular cover. But, that depends alot on the book. I have a Flash RRP thats's about 9.4, and my regular is a spot-on 9.8, but I'd prefer to SS the variant, and being alot more valuable doesn't hurt. ;) Also, I've got some IDW Doctor Who books where I like the regular cover over the variant, and would probably choose to SS the regular even if it was a slightly lower grade.

But, you have to remember that if you get what you want then the worse thing that happens is you are happy with your purchase long term. :thumbsup:

PS - Welcome to the boreds. ;)

Guest Grails
I like celebrity sigs now. I have a very small collection now of my keepers, but it's always fun to get a cool combination for customers.

I have had some great books pass through my hands. My favorite of course was the Captain Savage #1 CGC 9.8 that Grails sent me to get signed. I was a twitch nervous.

I never doubted for a second. Every book I ever sent you came back the same grade.

And for pink181, I don't dig the Man with no name series but I collect the blank sketch covers to the title. Opens up a lot of signature possibilities.

If you're going to dabble in Signature Series, get some autographs from people that have worked on your favorite books. I'm all about Captain America, so I try to get SS Caps whenever I have the chance

I agree that the more creator sigs you can get on a book the better. I'm partial to silver and bronze age myself. I'm not a stickler on high grade, it mostly depends on which book and who's signing it. I've got about a 5.0-6.0 copy of Weird Fantasy that I plan on (hopefully) having Al Feldstein sign at Baltimore. A higher grade copy would be nice but in a case like that I tend to lean towards affordable.

I want to thank everyone for their input, and more is always welcomed. Now I just have to watch the board to see when people are signing, since the whole in the earth where I am from dont have to many CGC SS events.