• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Browning considered staining?

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys ! :banana: Just new to the boards and learning more and more from this site everyday ! I just wanted to ask quick question to the guru's out there, when a comic book is browning..like the the side of the front cover and spots of browning on the back cover...is that considered staining in cgc eyes? Does it hurt the grade hard? Thanks for the information ! Ill try to get scans up if I can. I have a Avengers 4 that is starting to brown but afraid to send it to cgc thanks !

chris

hey guys, finally got the scans up here ya go:

cap.jpg

cap2.jpg

cap3.jpg

cap4.jpg

cap5.jpg

Not considered staining, but it is a major detraction and the grade is hit pretty much the same as stains, or worse depending on the amount of tanning/browning on the book.

Scans would be nice

Well, if the brown spots are foxing, CGC may not ding it too hard. I'm pretty sure books in the 9.0 range can have light foxing.

That said, this is an area where some collectors differ with CGC's standards. Some collectors judge foxing (or dust shadows/sun shadows) much more harshly than CGC.

As Joe mentioned, a scan would be helpful.

"Is Browning considered staining?"

Yes, which is the reason why I buy dark colored underwear now.

lol

lol that was a good one, caught me off guard there lol.

I'll try to take pics tommorrow to show you guys what I'm talking about. I guess apparently, from what some of you said, the inner front cover has a brown stain or something, and the first page is browned too...so it might be from the acid? I work graveyards so its a bit hard, since i sleep during the day most of the time. But any ways thanks for the help. I'll take pics as soon as I can.

chris

I borrowed a pair of my friends swim shorts the other day and as we were sitting around the pool drinking I forgot they were his and farted in them.

I got myself some new shorts :banana:

What was the OP's question again?

:o

Looks like pretty significant foxing... plus there is a dark browning halo on the inside front cover. Be careful... that area may be brittle.

These will both impact the grade. What may be 5.0-ish structurally could be dragged down a point or two.