• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Harrased and going overboard

137 posts in this topic

Maybe we've all been deleted and are not really here.

Just like Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense.

Hope everyone has seen that movie lol

And I had just rented this movie, going to watch it tonight... thanks..... :jokealert:

Who am I talking too hm

"To," not "too"... and then it would properly be phrased "Whom am I talking to? (or with?)"

Sorry, jumping on the grammar-Nazi bandwagon..........

:P

-slym

AAAAANNNND you're still wrong, slym. You shouldn't end a sentence, even a question, with a preposition (to, with, for, etc.).

"With whom am I speaking?"

:o WOW, this thread has had it all.

Whiners, Shillers, HTML lessons lol

AND two of my favorite westerns

Rio Bravo

and who can forget the last few minutes of Shane.............CLASSIC!!!!

:headbang:

Good ones! One of my favorites! :headbang:

Once Upon A Time In The West

onceuponatime-1.jpg

:o WOW, this thread has had it all.

Whiners, Shillers, HTML lessons lol

AND two of my favorite westerns

Rio Bravo

and who can forget the last few minutes of Shane.............CLASSIC!!!!

:headbang:

Dang it. Shane still fires the last shot into the floor!

Shane is one of my three all time favorite movies. It is damn near flawless, except for the final gunfight. The boy shouts, "Shane, look out!" and Alan Ladd spins and promptly fires a shot a table leg and the bad guy on the balcony comes tumbling over. Where is CGI when I need it?

(Exactly 5:00 in capt_comics video post)

That's only in certain situations, not never. There are times when it's perfectly acceptable, even necessary, to end a sentence in a preposition.

http://grammar.about.com/b/2008/03/26/prepositions-ending-sentences-with.htm

:grin:

-slym

There is a difference between grudgingly acceptable grammer and good grammar. :baiting:

And "not never" is a double negative. :gossip:

That's only in certain situations, not never. There are times when it's perfectly acceptable, even necessary, to end a sentence in a preposition.

-slym

There is a difference between grudgingly acceptable grammer and good grammar. :baiting:

Not never is correctly used. "This is the sort of stilted English up with which I will not put."

That's only in certain situations, not 'never.' There are times when it's perfectly acceptable, even necessary, to end a sentence in a preposition.

-slym

Pardons, I meant to put "never" in quotations, like that. I wasn't using a double-negative.

And I think if the dictionary guys say it's OK, then that isn't "grudgingly acceptable."

# We also have evidence that the postponed preposition was, in fact, a regular feature in some constructions in Old English. No feature of the language can be more firmly rooted than if it survives from Old English. . . . The preposition at the end has always been an idiomatic feature of English. It would be pointless to worry about the few who believe it is a mistake.

(Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage, 2002)

(thumbs u

-slym

You guys are gonna break the boards if you don't watch it....

I get the feeling that better than us have tried... and none have succeeded yet.

Yet.

-slym

We used to break VF all the time....

;)

This place isn't VF.com... at least the search engine here, with all it's shortcomings, doesn't crash the boards when you use it.

lol

-slym

That's only in certain situations, not 'never.' There are times when it's perfectly acceptable, even necessary, to end a sentence in a preposition.

-slym

Pardons, I meant to put "never" in quotations, like that. I wasn't using a double-negative.

And I think if the dictionary guys say it's OK, then that isn't "grudgingly acceptable."

# We also have evidence that the postponed preposition was, in fact, a regular feature in some constructions in Old English. No feature of the language can be more firmly rooted than if it survives from Old English. . . . The preposition at the end has always been an idiomatic feature of English. It would be pointless to worry about the few who believe it is a mistake.

(Merriam-Webster's Concise Dictionary of English Usage, 2002)

(thumbs u

-slym

:sumo: Humph! I'm not so sure about this so-called "dictionary" you're getting your information from.

Uh... I mean.... from where you're getting your information. :blush: