• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is "the dentist"?

63 posts in this topic

Sounds like he's a real d-bag.

Fortunately for him, as long as he owns what he owns, most of the hobby will continue to hoover his nob. The measure of a man is what he owns, after all.

No, only the few old guard who revere him and those newbs who are desparate to win his approval. If he is a d-bag/crooked seller then that is how most of the collecting world will view him since they will not know of him other than through their bad dealings with him. Remember, your reputation is truly all that is left after you are gone.

I came across an article on the 10 most valuable comics to the hobby and the author referred to the owner of the 9.0 to 9.2 copy of Action Comics #1 as "the dentist".

It stated that this person had purchased the book in the early 1980's for $25,000.

I apologize for not having a link to the article, but I was on a public computer at the time and now I can't find the damned link.

Anybody know who this person is or what part of the country the are in?

Hey, I took my lumps over this question the first time I joined. lol

It looks like some kind folks pointed you to the old threads.

The best was when someone in that thread started asking for his address, what he looks like, etc. Led to the jokes about "Combination to his safe, what type dogs does he have watching his house, what time of the day does he leave for work."

lol

His address is in his Overstreet ad on the final page of the Guide. The question is asked in his ad, "Why Sell to Me?" His answer? "This is a hobby, not a business. Therefore, I can & will pay more. I will buy entire collections or individual pieces. Immediate cash is always available for purchases." The dentist speaketh.

If it is just a hobby, why are there stories/rumors about him and the sale of fake Mile Highs? (tsk)

...and having a crappy return/exchange policy.

Just read yesterday about a board member who bought a $275 Fawcett book that was not as advertised. When he tried to return it he then decided he wanted a $275 DC book in exchange. The reply was that a $275 Fawcett was not the same as a $275 DC.

doh!

And selling books with undisclosed resto :whistle:

Fortunately for him, as long as he owns what he owns, most of the hobby will continue to hoover his nob. The measure of a man is what he owns, after all.

The one who dies with the most stuff wins...

...wins what?

I think what the folks are saying is that the dentist has been discussed ad naseaum on the boards... a quick use of the search function should reveal all...if not, lmk and I will give you a run down (thumbs u

And he gives GOOOOOOD rub dow....

What? You said ruN down, not ruB down?

Nervemind.

That's right. What do you own, sonny?

:roflmao: You handled that perfectly.

Pfffttt...

Easy lob.

I was borrowing from the original mantra, "He who dies with the most toys wins."

It's a statement pertaining to the mental state of collectors or for lack of a better term greed.

I must have more than anyone else as it were.

That is the competition. By having more toys than anyone else on the planet at the end of your life - you have accomplished your goal and won the competition with other collectors.

A sad state to be in when collecting is taken to that kind of level.

I was borrowing from the original mantra, "He who dies with the most toys wins."

It's a statement pertaining to the mental state of collectors or for lack of a better term greed.

I must have more than anyone else as it were.

That is the competition. By having more toys than anyone else on the planet at the end of your life - you have accomplished your goal and won the competition with other collectors.

A sad state to be in when collecting is taken to that kind of level.

I'm guessing he already knew that...

Just a hunch.

BTW, he has also been selling some stuff for a certain Mr. Geppi.of late.

Really? Geppi has been selling a lot on ebay with his established i.d. - I wouldn't've thought he would need to go through another seller.

What is his Ebay ID Andy?

Really? Geppi has been selling a lot on ebay with his established i.d. - I wouldn't've thought he would need to go through another seller.

What is his Ebay ID Andy?

diamondintlgal (I think that's the correct spelling).

Geppi always sells through numerous channels.