• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spin-off: What's the best 10-20 issue comic book run to read?

120 posts in this topic

A few not yet mentioned:

Phantom Stranger #14-26 The Len Wein - Jim Aparo run.

Warlord #1 - 15 pre-Vinnie Colletta issues

Justice League #100-114 Len Wein scripts + Giordano inks make Dillin's pencils shine

Justice League #138-150 Mostly Steve Englehart scripting

JLA #1-15 (or so) Grant Morrison rocks the DC Universe of the late 1990s. In a good way.

I take it that your not much of a Vinnie Colletta fan?

Is anybody much of a VC fan?

The first 10 Usagi Yojimbo books are pretty fantastic (including the Albedo #2). It is available in TP. I also recommed the first 10 issues in WWT featuring Jonah Hex, The first 10 issues of Kevin Smiths DD, first 10 issues of Marvel Conan and first 10 issues of DH Conan.

Uncle Scrooge 1-20 :cloud9:

yeah, i've been meaning to get into carl barks.

and follow that by:

The Life and Times of Uncle Scrooge by Don Rosa.

I re-read those regularly.

Also:

Cap-Am Golden Age by Simon & Kirby

A few not yet mentioned:

Justice League #100-114 Len Wein scripts + Giordano inks make Dillin's pencils shine

JLA #1-15 (or so) Grant Morrison rocks the DC Universe of the late 1990s. In a good way.

Not so much, and I particularly thought he was a poor choice to ink Mike Grell's pencils.

But in his defense, editorial during that time seemed to be thinking: let's cut the number of titles, but ship them all monthly, and since we're already paying Vinnie as the Art Director, let him ink half the books to meet the deadlines. :idea::golfclap:

Preacher #1 - #20

Batman #516 - #536

Why did you stop at 536? I would include the whole run up to 552.

And I would, but he was only asking for 20 issues :grin:

I know but I still snuck in an extra 5 issues with my SS rec. :)

I just love the entire Moench/Jones Batman run though and feel that you cannot skip an issue.

i asked for 10-20 since i figured that would be easier to buy in comic form (i'll buy Tpb's for most, but a few i'll just look for the comics, esp the small runs w/ great stories & art).

the cosmic philosopher

the sentinel of the spaceways

sky-rider of the spaceways

aka the Silver Surfer

original 18 issue run

i eventually want to buy those. silver surfer #4 is one of my all time favorite covers.

Ultimates vol. 1

Ultimates vol. 2

Captain America (vol.5) 1-25

i have issue 1 & 12 (lol) of ultimates vol. 2. both were excellent. gotta fill them in. captain america i have a few. liked it until they "killed" him.

Strange Tales 178-181, Warlock 9-15, Avengers Annual 7, MTIO Annual 2. IMO, the greatest galactic tale ever written.

i've never really read galactic tales before (unless green lantern counts). what is MTIO?

My picks would be Miracleman #1-24,The Walking Dead #1-36,Watchmen #1-12,and X-Men #94-121.

already working on miracleman, and have almost every issue of WD. watchmen i have the tpb, but i do plan on eventually getting the actual issues. x-men i have all the issues in tpb. a few i'd like to own in comic form though, esp the run you listed.

Ok... here are a few initial thoughts:

Batman: Knightfall. I grew up on this stuff, and I still preach about the awesome covers, solid interior art, and fun storyline.

i've always thought that "knightfall" was a good idea that just wasn't executed correctly. it still was better than the death of superman.

I think that the recent "I Kill Giants" mini series by Joe Kelly and Ken Niimura is the best I've read in a long time. Not your typical comic story by any means. The art is stunning -- manga-esque, but more expressive. The story is brilliant. This one could and should be converted for the big screen. It's only 7-issues long, so it falls short of the 10-20 book requirement.. so read it twice. :)

I also agree with some previous posters regarding Cerebus Church & State. Great run!

Also, Sandman: Season of Mists.

Iron Man 118 - 128.

I actually had never read that run until last week when I found a few nice copies at my LCS for a couple bucks each and I really enjoyed it. It may not be on par with some of the other runs mentioned, but I thought it was really good.

A few not yet mentioned:

Not so much, and I particularly thought he was a poor choice to ink Mike Grell's pencils.

But in his defense, editorial during that time seemed to be thinking: let's cut the number of titles, but ship them all monthly, and since we're already paying Vinnie as the Art Director, let him ink half the books to meet the deadlines. :idea::golfclap:

Don't know about editorial decisions, etc. You are saying that Colletta inked a lot of comics at that time? Why were there all these problems with deadlines?

I take it, from your response, that you didn't like the page that I scanned. Sorry. I totally love it, the inking is like perfection to me. Lots of bold lines and lots of fine stuff too.

Anyway, sorry it didn't quite measure up for you.

I hadn't even clicked on your link until after I had typed my earlier comments, so it wasn't specifically directed at your page. Having looked at it now, I'd say the first panel is pretty nice, but the final panel seems to be lacking in detail (particularly Tara's face and the guy on the flyer). I just think Grell inking Grell was better than most anyone inking Grell. In fact, Grell might have been better served by thumbnailing his stories, then letting someone else with a better grasp of anatomy do the actual pencilling, and then finishing them up with his trademark stippling embellishments and zipatone.

From Wikipedia:

Colletta, regarded as one of the American comics industry's fastest inkers and a reliable professional to call upon when a comic was in danger of missing a printing deadline, has remained a controversial figure even after his passing.[8] In essence, the controversy centers on Colletta's erasing various degrees of a penciler's work, both in order to lessen the inking burden and to help meet time constraints during an industry era when printers charged then-prohibitive thousands of dollars for missed deadlines, which resulted in idle presses.

I hadn't even clicked on your link until after I had typed my earlier comments, so it wasn't specifically directed at your page. Having looked at it now, I'd say the first panel is pretty nice, but the final panel seems to be lacking in detail (particularly Tara's face and the guy on the flyer). I just think Grell inking Grell was better than most anyone inking Grell. In fact, Grell might have been better served by thumbnailing his stories, then letting someone else with a better grasp of anatomy do the actual pencilling, and then finishing them up with his trademark stippling embellishments and zipatone.

From Wikipedia:

Colletta, regarded as one of the American comics industry's fastest inkers and a reliable professional to call upon when a comic was in danger of missing a printing deadline, has remained a controversial figure even after his passing.[8] In essence, the controversy centers on Colletta's erasing various degrees of a penciler's work, both in order to lessen the inking burden and to help meet time constraints during an industry era when printers charged then-prohibitive thousands of dollars for missed deadlines, which resulted in idle presses.

A idea crossed my mind about this, has anybody just published the artwork before Vince Colletta got to it? example: I would love to see some Kirby or Grell work as they originally intended before Vinny got to it?

A idea crossed my mind about this, has anybody just published the artwork before Vince Colletta got to it? example: I would love to see some Kirby or Grell work as they originally intended before Vinny got to it?

Hi,

The JKC (Jack Kirby Collector) over the years has printed many examples of Kirby's pencils that were later inked by Colletta. Some articles even concentrated on the before & after nature of Colletta, pointing out his "omissions", i.e., inking all in black silhouettes completely defined figures by Kirby in crowd scenes, etc ...