• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all/most of your OA to buy an engagement ring?

66 posts in this topic

I've told myself to always hold on to my OA through thick and thin and at the time said that the only thing that would get me to sell would be if I were to get married and I couldn't get the money any other way. Well there is an amazing woman in my life who I would consider this. Would you sell or try and find another way?

why rush into marriage, it depends on how long u have been together for. If your like me, I have been with my girl for 5 1/2 years and am about to pop the question but I don't really have a choice, can't really keep her waiting any longer. Thankfully I have the money for the ring but seriously, if u haven't been together that long, just wait and save up, don't go rush and sell all your OA.

If my boyfriend wouldn't be willing to part with his comics for an engagement ring, I'd leave him. If she really means that much to you, then there should be no question about it. You can always get it back (maybe) or find better pieces down the line.

I would never sell my OA and the woman in my life would understand if she really knew me. There are other ways of getting a ring without getting rid of you second (for some first) love.

If my boyfriend wouldn't be willing to part with his comics for an engagement ring, I'd leave him. If she really means that much to you, then there should be no question about it. You can always get it back (maybe) or find better pieces down the line.

That's the kind of "gift of the magi" thing going on here.

I agree with your point 100% that if he isn't willing to part with his possessions then he may love them more than you.

However, if the person you are with demanded that you part with your possessions (or something that meant a great deal to you) they may not love you more than they love themselves.

If two people are willing to put the other person before themselves, then you have a match. If one or the other is in the position of putting themselves, their possessions or their demands before that other person it's not meant to be.

C

Of course, from personal experience...I sold an Amazing Fantasy #15 to buy my wife's engagement ring. I still see a little bit of spidey when I look at her finger. lol

C

Well, hold on just a second. Flip the situation around.

Would you sell some of your beloved Archie comics to pay for his wedding ring? What if he demanded that you do just that or else he would leave you?

Isn't the divorce rate higher for marriage than for key/Grail comic art? ;)

Would you sell some of your beloved Archie comics to pay for his wedding ring? What if he demanded that you do just that or else he would leave you?

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

Drinkup.gif

Not a chance, but i also think spending that much money on a ring is a pointless waste. My wedding rings cost us a little less than $500 a piece and they were custom made. The amount of money your art could snag you could go to a down payment on a house together or something for less fleeting than a ring. Love should never be reflected in something so trivial as how much bank you drop on a silly little ring.

Save your art unless you're buying a house or need medical treatment for you or your girl. Blowing it on a ring is bad mojo all around.

"C'mon, one of the reasons most of us got into comics is that we didn't have a girlfriend. Now that you have the girlfriend, you don't need the comic stuff!"

Buddy, speak for yourself..... Had many girlfriends and still loved my comic books, got Married and now love my comic book art. Any girl that would take offense to you not selling your comic book art to buy her a engagement ring is BAD news.