• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all/most of your OA to buy an engagement ring?

66 posts in this topic

Not a chance, but i also think spending that much money on a ring is a pointless waste. My wedding rings cost us a little less than $500 a piece and they were custom made. The amount of money your art could snag you could go to a down payment on a house together or something for less fleeting than a ring. Love should never be reflected in something so trivial as how much bank you drop on a silly little ring.

Save your art unless you're buying a house or need medical treatment for you or your girl. Blowing it on a ring is bad mojo all around.

Not exactly how I would have put it, but my sentiments are about the same.

I would never sell my art for a engagement ring or wedding ring. As I know I will never get married. Diamond rings are soooo over priced, while comic art is one of a kind and prices can vary widely, diamonds aren't that scarce. De Beers basically controls the whole market and sets stupid prices on diamonds, so if I had o sell my whole comic art collection for one ring of diamonds then I am be robbed blind.

As someone else pointed out, it would be different if a loved one needed money for a life saving operation or medical need.

"C'mon, one of the reasons most of us got into comics is that we didn't have a girlfriend. Now that you have the girlfriend, you don't need the comic stuff!"

Buddy, speak for yourself..... Had many girlfriends and still loved my comic books, got Married and now love my comic book art. Any girl that would take offense to you not selling your comic book art to buy her a engagement ring is BAD news.

Agree with this. If selling your art to buy a ring is something *you* want to do, then that's your choice. But if you're feeling pressure to do it...then forget it.

"C'mon, one of the reasons most of us got into comics is that we didn't have a girlfriend. Now that you have the girlfriend, you don't need the comic stuff!"

Buddy, speak for yourself..... Had many girlfriends and still loved my comic books, got Married and now love my comic book art. Any girl that would take offense to you not selling your comic book art to buy her a engagement ring is BAD news.

I concur, if she's the one, she'll understand. If not, that's her loss. Believe me, I used to work in the jewelry biz, it's all overpriced rocks & metal. The thing that matters isn't how much you spend but the sentiment that's behind it.

why rush into marriage, it depends on how long u have been together for. If your like me, I have been with my girl for 5 1/2 years and am about to pop the question but I don't really have a choice, can't really keep her waiting any longer. Thankfully I have the money for the ring but seriously, if u haven't been together that long, just wait and save up, don't go rush and sell all your OA.

not all women will be willing to wait 5.5 years. part of how long they will wait is how old they are. if they are 29 when you meet they will want marriage much faster than if they are 21.

It all depends on the exact situation here. I guess my general advice would be sell the pieces you "like" to help with the fundraising and keep the ones you "love". Find the rest of the money some other way.

Is this a starter marriage or a second marriage? I say no way, maybe sell one or two pieces but a whole collection never, unless of course you are getting out of collecting. Art never argues with you lol

If my boyfriend wouldn't be willing to part with his comics for an engagement ring, I'd leave him. If she really means that much to you, then there should be no question about it. You can always get it back (maybe) or find better pieces down the line.

Well, hold on just a second. Flip the situation around.

Would you sell some of your beloved Archie comics to pay for his wedding ring? What if he demanded that you do just that or else he would leave you?

:popcorn:

:popcorn:

People are reading a lot into this, aren't they? No where does he say he's being told he has to sell OA to get a ring. No

I can say that I have sold OA to finance a trip to Europe and to buy an engagement ring. And I've sold OA to sock money away for a home purchase.

It's very easy to do. There are pieces I don't want to sell, so I don't. It's all your choice.

I can't imagine having a hundred/hundreds of pieces, like I and a number of you do, and not being able to find a whole bunch of stuff that you could sell quite easily. Perhaps I'm just not that committed to this hobby, or you guys all have a collection of personal favourites that you must have on your walls forever. Me: comic art... meh.

Is this a new g-friend? Or the one you broke up with recently and posted about?

The same girl. We got back together after some time apart and really worked everything out and now we are motoring along very nicely. I'm just thinking about the future and if I would sell any art to fund a ring. And even if I do decide to get a ring now, I may hold onto it for a while.

I suppose some pictures are in order:

ana1s.jpg

ana2.jpg

Yes, I am that classic geek/dufus with the hot Panamanian girl! I feel like that guy from Fanboys who landed Kristen Bell

Oh my god don't do it. If you just broke up / got back together there is no way you should sell your stuff to make it happen IMO. Maybe she's the one, maybe she isn't but my personal experience is that when you find the one that's really the one there won't be any of this break up / make up business. You won't have fights. Now not to say that your situation can't be different but in your situation where you've broken up before you do NOT need to rushing into anything. It sounds like you're infatuated and that's great but it may lead to blinkus of the thinkus. Just take your time and save the money up slowly. It'll give you a chance to make sure she's really the right girl for you at the same time.

If my boyfriend wouldn't be willing to part with his comics for an engagement ring, I'd leave him. If she really means that much to you, then there should be no question about it. You can always get it back (maybe) or find better pieces down the line.

Well, hold on just a second. Flip the situation around.

Would you sell some of your beloved Archie comics to pay for his wedding ring? What if he demanded that you do just that or else he would leave you?

Yes, I wouldn't think twice about it. I know I won't keep most of my collection around once I start having kids. Really, they're just comics.

Of course YOU wouldn't, you're not buying one! The whole idea of an engagement ring that has to be so expensive you need to sell other assets to finance it is ridiculous! DeBeers has had a choke-hold on the diamond market since the late 1800s and has perpetuated this insanity.

If you have to bribe her with expensive jewelry to marry you, she's not the one. If you want to sell assets to start your life together with her, use it as a downpayment for a house. Get her a cheap ring and put the money in the bank, into a house or on the walls. Don't sell your art to give the money to an evil corporation that has more blood on it's hands than almost any other corporation still in existence.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

Of course YOU wouldn't, you're not buying one! The whole idea of an engagement ring that has to be so expensive you need to sell other assets to finance it is ridiculous! DeBeers has had a choke-hold on the diamond market since the late 1800s and has perpetuated this insanity.

If you have to bribe her with expensive jewelry to marry you, she's not the one. If you want to sell assets to start your life together with her, use it as a downpayment for a house. Get her a cheap ring and put the money in the bank, into a house or on the walls. Don't sell your art to give the money to an evil corporation that has more blood on it's hands than almost any other corporation still in existence.

Ruben

http://www.collectingfool.com

haha great post

I'd do it in a second. C'mon, one of the reasons most of us got into comics is that we didn't have a girlfriend. Now that you have the girlfriend, you don't need the comic stuff!

Perhaps but once you've been married for a while you're gonna get a little stale together and will need you original art again. Keep it.