• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

next CGC label change?

23 posts in this topic

I say they change them on June 14, 2010.

They will only have one color label and they are switching to only two grades...

NSG = Not So Good

BTTOG = Better Than The Other Grade

This was confirmed through sources I have access to that everyone probably does, but I want to sound like I have some kind of insider info.

^^

On this slow Wed, I've come to suspect CGC will someday have variant labels. After all, it's become all about the number and the label.

Why not capitalize on this. So not only will you have to have a 9.8, you will soon have to have all the variant label 9.8's as well to be a true collector.

Guest Grails

In my fantasy slabbing world, (cant believe I just wrote that) there would only be one label color with appropriate notations. The green qualified grade would just be eliminated. It would be blue with all the defects listed and counted off accordingly. Even the Signature Series yellow "qualified" grade would be blue with the signing notations and signature counting off the grade. And I'm a big fan of the signature authentication CGC provides but all the colors are not necessary. I'm still on the fence as far as restored books...

In my fantasy slabbing world, my bed would look like this:

927_PD1.jpg

Charlie and his fantasies...silly goose.

Why would he want a bed like yours?

In my fantasy slabbing world, (cant believe I just wrote that) there would only be one label color with appropriate notations. The green qualified grade would just be eliminated. It would be blue with all the defects listed and counted off accordingly. Even the Signature Series yellow "qualified" grade would be blue with the signing notations and signature counting off the grade. And I'm a big fan of the signature authentication CGC provides but all the colors are not necessary. I'm still on the fence as far as restored books...

Don't you think that would pretty much kill the market/desire for SS books, though? I mean, if I had a blue label 9.8 that automatically dropped to a blue label 9.4 (or less) once it was signed, I'd never get any books signed ...

Guest Grails

Don't you think that would pretty much kill the market/desire for SS books, though? I mean, if I had a blue label 9.8 that automatically dropped to a blue label 9.4 (or less) once it was signed, I'd never get any books signed ...

Sure, it would hurt the SS market but really, isn't that true grading, labels aside?

Sure, it would hurt the SS market (which is why my idea would never fly) but really, isn't that true grading, labels aside?

True - good point. I'm still crossing my fingers they don't do this, though :)

I personally like the idea of ALL blue labels but they'll never do this. We argued this over the years and people feel there would be too easy to trick buyers...ie. sell a restored book as unrestored.

The idea of a blue label is a nice idea in a perfect world...but then the idea of grader's notes posted on line is also nice.

:cloud9:

Would be nice if they could get rid of the green label.

It´s not really a grade they assign to a book! It´s simply a wanna be grade. A "this would be like that, but isn´t really, BECAUSE" fake grade.

Worst thing is determining a price for a qualified book. Just grade them as good or bad you´d grade it without the green label existing and that´s it.

A lot of us are judging by the look of a book anyway, so why go through all this trouble?

The yellow label is also a nogo. Great idea and love the ss, but yellow labels are sooooooo ugly! :sick: A change of color would be great IMO.

I love the SS label. I would stick with that and put everything else in blue labels with relevant notes and grade hits. I wouldn't want a Qualified 9.4 with a popped staple, just hit the grade accordingly. Both labels and grades would probably fetch around the same price anyway.

Same for unwitnessed signatures, just put them in a blue label and grade the book accordingly.

Resto? Blue label with a dedicated space describing all of the work carried out on the book.

Guest Grails

927_PD1.jpg

That bed goes nicely with my car.

84826.jpg.6024d9be7630a19b7c68b5d36b25202b.jpg

927_PD1.jpg

That bed goes nicely with my car.

84826.jpg

Is that you in the window?

In my perfect slabbing world, Universal would be green, SS would be purple, restored would be yellow, and there would be no blue/Qualified slabbing... But no one solicited my opinion...

It´s not really a grade they assign to a book! It´s simply a wanna be grade. A "this would be like that, but isn´t really, BECAUSE" fake grade.

Worst thing is determining a price for a qualified book. Just grade them as good or bad you´d grade it without the green label existing and that´s it.

A lot of us are judging by the look of a book anyway, so why go through all this trouble?

Why not just put both grades on the label - the apparent grade and the true grade?

Why not just put both grades on the label - the apparent grade and the true grade?

Also an interesting idea (thumbs u