• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever got a Steve Epting commission?

18 posts in this topic

I've never had a commission done before, outside of a few covention sketches. However, I've been thinking of trying to get my first REAL commission. I'd guess that a nice commission would usually run $250-$500. Anyone know what Epting charges..is it in that range? My plan would be to go for a commission featuring Captain America, fighting a few other figures.

If you have an Epting commission feel free to show it off! (thumbs u

I haven't seen him in a few years but I imagine he would take the work. Every time we talk he always says something about child support and an ex-wife.

I've never had him do a full on commission but his sketch prices have been very reasonable. I would bet $500 would get you something top of the line.

84861.jpg.b071898f3b555d543ae91eba5e835ef6.jpg

84862.jpg.d157710dfc84f36604e6b899cfc359ac.jpg

Steve is probably the most introverted artist I know(ie. shy), but a fantastic person.

Not sure what he charges though.

I may be able to put you in touch with him.

Good luck.... and let us see it if he does one for you (thumbs u

I'd love a Fallen Son from him in his usual wash style. If I can reach him directly, I'll go for it, but I'm not dealing with Spencer.

:(

I already sent Spencer an email. :eek: Should I be concerned in dealing with him?

I think I may be the only person on the planet to ever have trouble with him. I wanted some pages he had and asked if they were available. He said he didn't do inventory checks, but I could send an order. I sent an order and he flipped out saying he didn't know if they were available and I needed to check with him first. His emails were less than pleasant, but apparently everyone else has had fantastic relations with him.

I'd love a Fallen Son from him in his usual wash style. If I can reach him directly, I'll go for it, but I'm not dealing with Spencer.

:(

I already sent Spencer an email. :eek: Should I be concerned in dealing with him?

I think I may be the only person on the planet to ever have trouble with him. I wanted some pages he had and asked if they were available. He said he didn't do inventory checks, but I could send an order. I sent an order and he flipped out saying he didn't know if they were available and I needed to check with him first. His emails were less than pleasant, but apparently everyone else has had fantastic relations with him.

I think most people, when they realize that he represents almost 100 artists, with over 100,000 pages in inventory, and has an inventory that's constantly being added to by the thousands each month, realize that it's impossible to check to see if pieces are available and pull them without a firm order being in place.

We are in a hobby with thousands of tire kickers. Can you imagine the stress and wasted time and inventory errors that could occur checking and pulling pieces without a committment in place?

I had a similar misunderstanding when I placed my first order with him years ago. I went under the mistaken assumption that he was like an art dealer who might have 1,000 pages and could tell me off the cuff what was there and gone. Once I took the time to read this terms and such it cleared everything up.

When Spencer says "Make an order" he means "place an order via email of pages you absolutely want to buy and I will pull the pieces, ensure they are in place, and send you a total with shipping cost".

I am guessing you just mailed him a check for the pieces you wanted without emailing him a firm order and waiting for a comfirmation back from him of availability and total cost?

He reserves everything for people in order of their emails making an actual order. Meaning that if a piece was available on a tuesday and you didn't email him to make an order and instead just mailed a check with what you wanted and that check got to him on thursday, someone who ordered the page by email wednesday would have beaten you to it and now you have to be refunded your money etc. Make sense?

Frankly, once I realized the size of the service he gives to the artist and fan community. Once I realized the sheer scope and size of the the logistics of what he does while continuing to hold down a full time job outside of art representation, I never had another problem dealing with him again.

Spencer could hire a full time staff or leave his other job to do this full time, but the price of art on his site would have to go up as I am sure he would have to take a larger percentage than he can afford right now by handling things the way he does while working full time elsewhere. I have no problem reading and following terms and conditions if I get great art at great prices with a minimal additonal cost.

I was able to put myself in his shoes. Then I read his terms carefully and I respected how hard he works for the customers he serves and the artists he reps. Once you put yourself in his shoes it all makes sense. The least I could do after realizing that was to place orders following his terms. It gets me the art I want, he is friendly and fair and honest, and I never ever had another issue with an order again.

Pirate and I had the same type of conversation a while back and he said it helped him a lot and now he deals with Spencer all the time.

Hope this helps. Once you get to know him, he's one of the best people in this hobby. That's especially true if you really get to know some of the other reps and dealers out there.

Best,

Chris

I made contact with Spencer and he made contact with Steve for me. Seems like a nice guy to me. Unfortunately, Steve is all booked up with two projects and other commissions that have been waiting for a while. So, he told me to check back around this time next year. Oh well...

I made contact with Spencer and he made contact with Steve for me. Seems like a nice guy to me. Unfortunately, Steve is all booked up with two projects and other commissions that have been waiting for a while. So, he told me to check back around this time next year. Oh well...

That's a bummer. The best artists always seem to be in demand in 9 different directions. I asked about Steve each of the last 3 years. Been dying to have him do a trophy wall piece for me. When Steve does a commission it's cover quality.

Keep trying and email every once in a while. You never know when your favorite artists will need to raise money for a vacation or something.

Best,

Chris

That's a bummer. The best artists always seem to be in demand in 9 different directions. I asked about Steve each of the last 3 years. Been dying to have him do a trophy wall piece for me. When Steve does a commission it's cover quality.

Keep trying and email every once in a while. You never know when your favorite artists will need to raise money for a vacation or something.

Best,

Chris

Would love to see a Kitson LOSH trophy with the time trapper or emerald emperess .

If you ever want a Kidwell let me know lol

Here's a piece of trivia for you. A friend of mine and I got sketches from Steve at MegaCon in 2003. He asked for old school cap with a helmet kind of like Hitch was doing in Ultimates. Steve looked over some reference and produce this. Then he said, "That was fun. I need to draw Cap more." A year later he was doing the book.

84936.jpg.02ffa5b0a06111beb9143895412f2350.jpg

Is there a running list out there of artist contacts, who does commissions? , Prices, or thier inbetweens to contact about commissions, sigs, etc. Would be most helpfull.

Wrote a review for this site and have pretty much forgotten about it:

http://comicartcommissions.com/

I thought it was a great idea when it was announced, but have never really used it.

Is there a running list out there of artist contacts, who does commissions? , Prices, or thier inbetweens to contact about commissions, sigs, etc. Would be most helpfull.

Wrote a review for this site and have pretty much forgotten about it:

http://comicartcommissions.com/

I thought it was a great idea when it was announced, but have never really used it.

thanks will look

I think most people, when they realize that he represents almost 100 artists, with over 100,000 pages in inventory, and has an inventory that's constantly being added to by the thousands each month, realize that it's impossible to check to see if pieces are available and pull them without a firm order being in place.

We are in a hobby with thousands of tire kickers. Can you imagine the stress and wasted time and inventory errors that could occur checking and pulling pieces without a committment in place?

I had a similar misunderstanding when I placed my first order with him years ago. I went under the mistaken assumption that he was like an art dealer who might have 1,000 pages and could tell me off the cuff what was there and gone. Once I took the time to read this terms and such it cleared everything up.

When Spencer says "Make an order" he means "place an order via email of pages you absolutely want to buy and I will pull the pieces, ensure they are in place, and send you a total with shipping cost".

I am guessing you just mailed him a check for the pieces you wanted without emailing him a firm order and waiting for a comfirmation back from him of availability and total cost?

He reserves everything for people in order of their emails making an actual order. Meaning that if a piece was available on a tuesday and you didn't email him to make an order and instead just mailed a check with what you wanted and that check got to him on thursday, someone who ordered the page by email wednesday would have beaten you to it and now you have to be refunded your money etc. Make sense?

Frankly, once I realized the size of the service he gives to the artist and fan community. Once I realized the sheer scope and size of the the logistics of what he does while continuing to hold down a full time job outside of art representation, I never had another problem dealing with him again.

Spencer could hire a full time staff or leave his other job to do this full time, but the price of art on his site would have to go up as I am sure he would have to take a larger percentage than he can afford right now by handling things the way he does while working full time elsewhere. I have no problem reading and following terms and conditions if I get great art at great prices with a minimal additonal cost.

I was able to put myself in his shoes. Then I read his terms carefully and I respected how hard he works for the customers he serves and the artists he reps. Once you put yourself in his shoes it all makes sense. The least I could do after realizing that was to place orders following his terms. It gets me the art I want, he is friendly and fair and honest, and I never ever had another issue with an order again.

Pirate and I had the same type of conversation a while back and he said it helped him a lot and now he deals with Spencer all the time.

Hope this helps. Once you get to know him, he's one of the best people in this hobby. That's especially true if you really get to know some of the other reps and dealers out there.

Best,

Chris

We've been through all of this before in its own thread. I read his terms and thought I followed them, he told me to place an order, not email an order, so I did. I followed his instructions to the letter and he came across with serious attitude.

If he means "make an order by email" he needs to say "make an order by email." Not "place an order." I fully understand that he is a busy man and has tons of art, but that's no excuse not to be clear and professional in your communications with would-be customers. "HOPING FOR MY SAKE" that art is available has a rude and ominous tone to it and if I had used it in any of my past jobs, it would have gotten me fired in a heartbeat.

Neither of us are going to budge on this, and I don't care if it means that I will never buy another piece of OA ever again, I won't deal with him.

That's all I have to say about it.....now I now return the hijacked thread back to its owner.

:grin: