• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In case you want a cheap FF 1...

26 posts in this topic

On a real FF1, there are two artwork elements placed over the purple "Featuring" box. The #1 and Nov. are positioned so that the o in Nov. is directly over the e in featuring. The center of the encircled 10cents is geographically positioned directly over the tail end of the second quotes of "Mr.Fantastic". This book has neither feature.

As a reference, see the "FF1 and reprints" thread in the General section. On this book the #1/Nov. is positioned over the purple "featuring" box right about where the encircled 10cent element should be!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=364286&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

Just sent the following note to the seller:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

The book you are selling is a reprint that has been defaced (along with a poor quality photo) to appear as an original.

There are already enough scams and uneducated victims of fraud in the comic industry. As a reprint, the book is practically worthless in its' apparent condition. You may want to update your auction description to indicate that this is a reprint, or remove the listing entirely.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You'd think being a huge FF fan, and owning three # 1s over the years, I would have noticed this"

JT, It was an intentionally lousy picture. You just had to look real close. I would have missed it too except that the cover colors struck me as being that of the reprint. That's what made me take a closer look at the artwork elements.

Just sent the following note to the seller:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

The book you are selling is a reprint that has been defaced (along with a poor quality photo) to appear as an original.

There are already enough scams and uneducated victims of fraud in the comic industry. As a reprint, the book is practically worthless in its' apparent condition. You may want to update your auction description to indicate that this is a reprint, or remove the listing entirely.

Thanks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also saw this auction and know this is a reprint.I emailed him to and this is the response I got.:

Thank you my friend. I have 2 comic stores that buy a lot from Ebay here in Oshawa Ontario. The first thing I do on a new book is get it to them. They told me on this one that yes it is indeed original...but it is below a 1.0 in grade as it is in rough shape. I state this in the description. But these people have been doing this for 30 years and it is confirmed by both of them too be real. I buy a lot of comics on E Bay and never have had a negative comment. I am an honest buyer and the only reason it is being sold is I have a perfect X men #1 on the way and I will need the money.

Honesty is the best thing out here...and I think I have stated in the sescription what this comic is. What it comes down to is...this is the original...LOW grade...and missing back cover...and only 24 pages...yellow...but it is a #1 Fantastic Four...

Thank you for your e mail...I care about this whole Reprint issue....but I have all originals...and anyone who would sell a reprint...saying it is the real thing...should be shot.

Dave

Damarcomix International Ltd

Run as far away from this book as you can.That is unless you want to pay 100X guide for a beat up reprint. makepoint.gif

Did you point out this thread to him, or did you point out in your e-mail the evidence in the art that proves it's the reprint? If not, his response is somewhat expected and he might just think you're talking out of your butt.

Email with an attachment scan of a real FF 1 and point out the five people, and the names on the store fronts, and the IND. in the ULC, and the 10cent price.

If those four things don't wake him up I don't know what will.

Did you point out this thread to him, or did you point out in your e-mail the evidence in the art that proves it's the reprint? If not, his response is somewhat expected and he might just think you're talking out of your butt.

Oh yes I covered every point of it being a reprint from the wrong position of the number box the 10 cent price circle missing,the number of people on the street etc before I got this email from him so he was well aware of how to tell the difference.I also explained to him I was a comic shop owner and I have over 5000 positve feedbacks on evbay so he knew I was not talking [!@#%^&^] to him. I got another email after I sent him a response to this say he was wrong and must be trying to rip someone off and he addmitted it MAY be a reprint and was going to take it back to the comic shop that told him it was an original and talk to them again.I also pointed out both this tread and the other about telling the difference between original and reprint FF #1.He claims to have bought this as an original. 893frustrated.gif

Thanks for taking the time to communicate with the seller. He did respond to me yesterday, but only said "This book is a confirmed original".

I originally chose to not tell him all the ways you can tell the difference (in case someone were to attempt a better forgery), but I think it's good that you explained it to him.

You can't make it any plainer than that. Good work, Jak!! thumbsup2.gif

Another dead giveaway that should send up flares for this seller (if he's in serious denial), is the absence of the back cover. Being completely different inside and out from the original, anyone representing the book as a 1961 copy would have to eliminate the back cover.

Also, the 24 page count. That's only 6 leafs of pages. The reprint's internal pages contain no ads or any non-story pages of any kind. The original 1961 copy has more interior pages (the normal 28 or 7 leafs of 4 pages each) because it has non-story pages as well.

Thanks for taking the time to communicate with the seller. He did respond to me yesterday, but only said "This book is a confirmed original".

I originally chose to not tell him all the ways you can tell the difference (in case someone were to attempt a better forgery), but I think it's good that you explained it to him.

Someone bought this book with BIN and I cotacted him with the link to this thread but he already paypaled the money to this rip-off artist who after everyone conatcted him left the auction up and never changed the description to say it was a reprint.The buyer now knows this is reprint.Does anyone here know how to reverse a paypal payment or what this buyer should do?

foreheadslap.gif