• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Turnaround Time?

77 posts in this topic

Can you upgrade the turn around time when using the 3 coupons?

Coupon turnaround is 20 business days. Period.

Thanks, (thumbs u

Thanks, (thumbs u

20 days minimum. Even that is shipping out books received on 7/29/2009

I think CGC should do like any smart husband would do with his wife. When a husband/boyfriend is out and thinks he'll realistically be home by 8:00 PM, call her and tell her you'll be home at 9:00 PM. So when you show up at 8:00 she's happy that you got home early. :devil:

Either that or you catch her with her lover! :eek:

Seriously, CGC should not state 20 business days or 40 business days or whatever it is for each tier on their website unless they can meet those deadlines most of the time. I've been involved in manufacturing for over 35 years and can guarantee that if you want to a customer off then ship their product to them late. Quality is very important but so is delivery time.

Many of us send in large batches of comics for grading....at least 20 to 30 at a time. At these quantities you're talking about having $500 to $1,000 tied up for a month, maybe two. And that's bad enough. But 3 months? That's ridiculous. :sumo:

Maybe CGC should institute a policy like states do with contractors. If a project isn't completed by a certain date, then the contractor has to pay a penalty back to the state for every day they're late. Maybe something like this: If CGC is more than 50% late on their estimated delivery times then they send you a coupon for a free standard submission. Or a date with Ali (just kidding Ali. :foryou: )

I'll agree that CGC is by far the best grading company out there. But we all know that even the biggest companies can fail unless you treat your customers right. Reasonable delays are expected....double or triple the shipping time is not.

I think CGC should do like any smart husband would do with his wife. When a husband/boyfriend is out and thinks he'll realistically be home by 8:00 PM, call her and tell her you'll be home at 9:00 PM. So when you show up at 8:00 she's happy that you got home early. :devil:

Seriously, CGC should not state 20 business days or 40 business days or whatever it is for each tier on their website unless they can meet those deadlines most of the time. I've been involved in manufacturing for over 35 years and can guarantee that if you want to a customer off then ship their product to them late. Quality is very important but so is delivery time.

Many of us send in large batches of comics for grading....at least 20 to 30 at a time. At these quantities you're talking about having $500 to $1,000 tied up for a month, maybe two. And that's bad enough. But 3 months? That's ridiculous. :sumo:

Maybe CGC should institute a policy like states do with contractors. If a project isn't completed by a certain date, then the contractor has to pay a penalty back to the state for every day they're late. Maybe something like this: If CGC is more than 50% late on their estimated delivery times then they send you a coupon for a free standard submission. Or a date with Ali (just kidding Ali. :foryou: )

I'll agree that CGC is by far the best grading company out there. But we all know that even the biggest companies can fail unless you treat your customers right. Reasonable delays are expected....double or triple the shipping time is not.

Unfortunately the way the business model is set up there will be delays. Let's face it, CGC cannot grab a temp and say please help finalize these silver age ASM's for us, keep them till they catch up and them let them go, nor can they afford to hire someone full time when they know most of the year they will not be that far behind.

In order to keep things consistent what they have is the best they can do for now and the downside is around convention season you have to wait. I send every book in fast track now. Even with guaranteed time I still am impatient.

Unfortunately the way the business model is set up there will be delays. Let's face it, CGC cannot grab a temp and say please help finalize these silver age ASM's for us, keep them till they catch up and them let them go, nor can they afford to hire someone full time when they know most of the year they will not be that far behind.

In order to keep things consistent what they have is the best they can do for now and the downside is around convention season you have to wait. I send every book in fast track now. Even with guaranteed time I still am impatient.

Yeah, I've used Fast Track a few times lately and I do love the turnaround times much better. If you absolutely have to have a book/books back in a certain amount of time, Fast Track is the way to go even though you're spending more money to do so. I elected to go regular Modern with my latest SS submissions because I don't really need them back that fast.

From a customer service perspective I have to agree with Shark. If a company privides turn around times (even if they're estimates) they need to remain reasonably close to those estimates. To your point Joey, if CGC KNOWS that during convention time they are going to be unable to meet their turn around times with any semblance of accuracy then they need to either a.) have enough staff to meet the customer's expectation (from the consumer perspective staffing is the companies issue and should not be my concern at all) b.) decrease the number of books they are going to accept (i.e. have a blackout period for submissions that are being sent via mail) or c.) actually post NEW service level agreements for the turn around times during this period so the consumer can make a reasoned business decision about sending out their books.

With 20 years in customer service I've learned there are two things that will tick a customer off faster than anything 1.) making them wait an unreasonable amount of time and 2.) telling the customer when they call about the wait "Well, the turn around time is only an estimate so you'll just have to wait longer." translation we have your money and item and there's nothing you can do about it.

While regularly posting recalibrated turn around times does take time and can cause some customer dissatisfaction the end result is an overall happier consumer when they see the company is providing up to date expectations.

Thanks, (thumbs u

20 days minimum. Even that is shipping out books received on 7/29/2009

Yup. I submitted mine on the 31st using the coupon and today they moved to Shipped//Safe. So there off a couple days on that page.

From a customer service perspective I have to agree with Shark. If a company privides turn around times (even if they're estimates) they need to remain reasonably close to those estimates. To your point Joey, if CGC KNOWS that during convention time they are going to be unable to meet their turn around times with any semblance of accuracy then they need to either a.) have enough staff to meet the customer's expectation (from the consumer perspective staffing is the companies issue and should not be my concern at all) b.) decrease the number of books they are going to accept (i.e. have a blackout period for submissions that are being sent via mail) or c.) actually post NEW service level agreements for the turn around times during this period so the consumer can make a reasoned business decision about sending out their books.

With 20 years in customer service I've learned there are two things that will tick a customer off faster than anything 1.) making them wait an unreasonable amount of time and 2.) telling the customer when they call about the wait "Well, the turn around time is only an estimate so you'll just have to wait longer." translation we have your money and item and there's nothing you can do about it.

While regularly posting recalibrated turn around times does take time and can cause some customer dissatisfaction the end result is an overall happier consumer when they see the company is providing up to date expectations.

My point was they are doing the best with what they have. It is flawed, as are most business models. I will be the first to be unhappy when my books are not done on time, but I always send more.

I do agree that turnaround times may need to be stickied to the home page and not three pages deep in the services and fees table. This would provide, at the very minimum more communication to the customer letting them know that the 40 day estimate is now 58 days. Then they can make a more informed decision.

Anybody else having problems accessing the Collectors Society database? I've been in there a few times the past couple of days trying to get shipping status and I keep getting a "Currently unable to connect to the database for order status. Please try again later" error.

Yes, it is down and CGC is well aware of it. It is an ISP issue and it was up briefly on Monday evening.

It is an annoyance and hopefully it will not last much longer.

Just got back to the computer and did a refresh on the Registry screen. It comes up now. :)

I am sure CGC will never do this, but PSA and BGS (the biggest 2 card graders) having guaranteed turnaround times on most of the tiers. BGS does it on every tier they have and PSA does it on about every single one. If they don't get it done in time they will send you vouchers for that many free gradings at that tier. BGS gets it done every single time and I have never had a voucher from them...PSA has failed before and sent me the tiers. Either way it seems to keep them on schedule. PSA will sometimes adjust the turnaround time during busy seasons to keep this policy up to date. I love CGC and they are the best and only service in town...I just wish they would address it in some way. My 2 cents.

I am sure CGC will never do this, but PSA and BGS (the biggest 2 card graders) having guaranteed turnaround times on most of the tiers. BGS does it on every tier they have and PSA does it on about every single one. If they don't get it done in time they will send you vouchers for that many free gradings at that tier. BGS gets it done every single time and I have never had a voucher from them...PSA has failed before and sent me the tiers. Either way it seems to keep them on schedule. PSA will sometimes adjust the turnaround time during busy seasons to keep this policy up to date. I love CGC and they are the best and only service in town...I just wish they would address it in some way. My 2 cents.

I cannot see this happening.

I had a similar experience , the book arrived at CGC in early May, got it back in late August. What was a pain was that I called at the end of June, just to see what the grade was, and they said it would encapsulated the following week. I called 2 weeks later, said it should get to encapsulation in the next day or two. Waited ANOTHER month called again, said it should be encapsulated later that week. 2 weeks later the book finally arrived. On the good side, the customer service people I talked to were very nice and responsive, just had no power to control/ or actually know when books would really be turned around. They did say that they were swapped with people turning in books before the price change, but being told one thing and the time-line being MONTHS off is not a good thing.

I had a similar experience , the book arrived at CGC in early May, got it back in late August. What was a pain was that I called at the end of June, just to see what the grade was, and they said it would encapsulated the following week. I called 2 weeks later, said it should get to encapsulation in the next day or two. Waited ANOTHER month called again, said it should be encapsulated later that week. 2 weeks later the book finally arrived. On the good side, the customer service people I talked to were very nice and responsive, just had no power to control/ or actually know when books would really be turned around. They did say that they were swapped with people turning in books before the price change, but being told one thing and the time-line being MONTHS off is not a good thing.

That just makes no sense

yup its like you wrote what happen to me lol

i would call soo mad but the customer service people are sooo nice and helpfull you dont what to chew them out lol i mean its not their fault so i would just end up saying "oh ok thanks for the help"

but now im in the same boat again with my 2nd group im over 40 days and two weeks away from grading....no LIE cgc needs to get back on track cause waiting 75+ business days ( 95 including weekday) for books is not going to work..and i dont see why i should pay more to get my books on time..