• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hansi

36 posts in this topic

I bought most of the Spire comics off the rack as a kid and still have them. No one has been irreligious in this thread, but I will add that they are very positive comics and very Christ centered. As such, I understand that they aren't for a lot of people, and I understand that from an outside perspective, they must seem a bit bizarre, but I have very fond memories of that entire line. I must have 20 or so of them.

I bought most of the Spire comics off the rack as a kid and still have them. No one has been irreligious in this thread, but I will add that they are very positive comics and very Christ centered. As such, I understand that they aren't for a lot of people, and I understand that from an outside perspective, they must seem a bit bizarre, but I have very fond memories of that entire line. I must have 20 or so of them.

Positive? "We're not RUSSIANS; we're AMERICANS!".

So all Russian soldiers are sadistic rapists, while Americans never commit war crimes? C'mon Nate. I realize that you're both American and religious, and that you're nostalgic for these books, which is cool, but you have to see how this might be offensive.

This book is interesting in the same way that GA covers portraying Japanese/Korean soldiers as yellow monsters with fangs and claws is interesting, but it's also propaganda.

So all Russian soldiers are sadistic rapists, while Americans never commit war crimes? C'mon Nate. I realize that you're both American and religious, and that you're nostalgic for these books, which is cool, but you have to see how this might be offensive.

I know it's a bit of a blanket statement, and certainly the frontline Soviet troops were some of the toughest, best disciplined soldiers of World War Two. But there is no doubt that the Russian occupation of Germany was a rapist's paradise - millions of vulnerable women, few German men, and next to no effective local law enforcement - and the historical evidence exists that rape was a common practice among the occupying Soviet forces - even encouraged by local commanders as 'repayment' for the nazi invasion and occupation of Russia (which, of course, was brutal beyond imagining). German women risked everything to get into the western occupation zones. Certainly, rape occurred in the Allied-controlled western zone - but nothing even remotely comparable to what went on over on the Russian side. One statistic that I remember from a book about the Battle of Berlin stated that 1 in 3 German women between the ages of 12 and 70 were rape victims in the Eastern Zones. Even if they were half wrong, that is an outrageous figure, and particular on the Western front only to the Russians. Only the Japanese invasion and occupation of mainland China can rival the Russian campaign into Germany for sexual crimes against women during World War 2.

I read these books as a kid (I read any comics I could get my hands on) and I remember this story very well. Another one from the series that's worth picking up is 'The Hiding Place', the true story of the Ten Boom family, who hid Jewish families from the nazis in Occupied Holland. While they certainly smack of American jingoism, and there's a very '' brand of Christianity on display (to wit: Anita Bryant on the back cover), the stories are largely true and some of them would be inspiring to anyone, regardless of faith.

Years ago, before these became collectible, I remember seeing literally stacks of these in my elementary school. They must have been donated by a religious group... I think I read them all, except for 'The Gospel Blimp'... that just seemed too outrageous.

Shep

What a bizzare comic.Im finding myself quite intriged by the whole "Hansi loves nazis" in 1973 (shrug)

Jesus made her see the light.

The book is weird on so many levels. From the original concept to the printed matter.

A true non-mainstream classic book. Based on the content, the book should've been published in the 40's not the 70's.

It's a tough book, and always goes for well above guide (unless you get really lucky). I remember years ago looking at Metro's 9.2 copy (in Philly, I think). Almost bought it, but held off. Got super lucky when I acquired the copy I scanned above for much, much less (I'd grade it 9.4).

GPA data is really, really sparse. But I am almost sure that Hansi was the subject of a fairly recent warehouse find. There are 28 of them in 9.4+ Someone dumped several high grade copies, outside Ebay 4 or 5 years ago. I think I paid around 100 bucks for a 9.6. But it might have been more. My memory tends to guestimate low on books. lol

Edit: This refers to the 49 cent version, not Donut's super sweet 39 center.

Positive? "We're not RUSSIANS; we're AMERICANS!".

This book is interesting in the same way that GA covers portraying Japanese/Korean soldiers as yellow monsters with fangs and claws is interesting, but it's also propaganda.

I've been away from the boards for a few weeks, Andrew, so sorry to take so long to respond. Take all of this in the spirit it's intended. If any of this comes accross as self-righteous or condescending, remember that that is the last thing I'm trying to be.

1. My status as an American doesn't factor into my love for Spire comics at all. Not one iota.

2. I haven't read this particular comic, but have read, I believe, almost every other Spire comic book. I find it hard to believe that this one comic could be so far afield, either in it's cultural sensitivity, it's theology, or it's historical accuracy.

3. Not nostalgic. Nostalgia to me, is what you imply. Rose colored glasses, and all that. I have true affinity for this material, but I'm not being nostalgic when I defend it's content.

4. I really don't see how this is offensive. But this is coming from a guy who didn't think Ingloreus Basterds was offensive, but instead brilliant Jewish wish fullfillment epic mythology.

5. You got me on the religious comment. I am certainly remembering these comics, the entire Spire line, thru the lense of a follower of Christ. I am a poor example of what it means to follow Yeshua, but I am still a follower. And I see this entire line as a valid, respectable example of how Christians can use their love for God and passion for the arts to create a lasting form for generations to come. This is why I state that I understand that most people here may not get that. And it's okay, but I do. I absolutely think that the Spire Comics line was an edifying, spiritually uplifting act of worship and evangelism. I have very, very, fond memories of reading these books, and absolutely don't see the negativity or foolishness that others here do.

I am reminded of a verse of scripture that I think applies, and you will forgive me if I quote it here for emphasis. "But the Gospel, to those who are perishing, is foolishness, but to those of us who are being saved, it is the power of God". (paraphrase of 1 Corinthians 1:18)

I don't expect the core message of the Gospel, be it in comic book form, film, or sermon, to be loved, admired, or revered by non-Christians.

So that's it. Haven't read this particular comic. Can't imagine I'd see it any differently, in light of my other comments. Have great respect for this line of comics and what the creators were doing. Have great respect for the differences in opinions of all the posters in this thread, but feel that my view is also valid. And there is no harm, no foul, as far as I'm concerned.

But of course, if you had said, the Jack Chick line of comics, we could have had a good old fashioned laugh and been more in agreement.

What a bizzare comic.Im finding myself quite intriged by the whole "Hansi loves nazis" in 1973 (shrug)

The book is weird on so many levels. From the original concept to the printed matter.

A true non-mainstream classic book. Based on the content, the book should've been published in the 40's not the 70's.

It's a tough book, and always goes for well above guide (unless you get really lucky). I remember years ago looking at Metro's 9.2 copy (in Philly, I think). Almost bought it, but held off. Got super lucky when I acquired the copy I scanned above for much, much less (I'd grade it 9.4).

GPA data is really, really sparse. But I am almost sure that Hansi was the subject of a fairly recent warehouse find. There are 28 of them in 9.4+ Someone dumped several high grade copies, outside Ebay 4 or 5 years ago. I think I paid around 100 bucks for a 9.6. But it might have been more. My memory tends to guestimate low on books. lol

I didn't check the cover price, but I recall seeing a box full of these from a dealer at a buck each (think it was about maybe 3yrs ago?). It was as common as the EC reprints. He also had a ton of archie stuff in the same boxes (chilling adventures of sorcery), for a bit more. I didn't see a whole lot of UHG, so I passed.

I didn't check the cover price, but I recall seeing a box full of these from a dealer at a buck each (think it was about maybe 3yrs ago?). It was as common as the EC reprints. He also had a ton of archie stuff in the same boxes (chilling adventures of sorcery), for a bit more. I didn't see a whole lot of UHG, so I passed.

Are you sure those weren't the New Barbour Christian Comics reprints? Barbour & Company acquired the rights to many of the Spire Christian Comics line in the early 80s and reprinted them. Many of them remained in print up until 1988. I've seen stashes of these reprints but not of the Spire Christain comics. That is except for mine. Back in the late 70s, I heard of this comic and went around to the Christain bookstores in my area and bought 40 copies. This is what I have left of them. They're all the 39¢ first printing.

IMG_1006.jpg

Are you sure those weren't the New Barbour Christian Comics reprints? Barbour & Company acquired the rights to many of the Spire Christian Comics line in the early 80s and reprinted them. Many of them remained in print up until 1988. I've seen stashes of these reprints but not of the Spire Christain comics. That is except for mine. Back in the late 70s, I heard of this comic and went around to the Christain bookstores in my area and bought 40 copies. This is what I have left of them. They're all the 39¢ first printing.

IMG_1006.jpg

That's very possible. I didn't really pay that much attention to the fine detail. Considering your argument that the originals are harder to track down; great hoard you have. (thumbs u