• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paypal personal payment option is getting on my nerves.

31 posts in this topic

I noticed that more and more sellers on the board ask for a Paypal's payment through the new personal option.

I only use the credit card payment. That's a choice, i don't want Paypal to be allowed to access my bank account.

The problem is that, in this case and because i used a credit card, I have to pay the Paypal's fee :cry:

What's your position on the personal payment ?

It's up to you and the seller. As a seller I appreciate saving the 3% fee but don't make it a requirement for buyers. I figure good will on both sides works best. Sometimes sellers seem to take a "you'll do it my way" approach and I think it ultimately hurts the sale listing.

Anything along the lines of

Paypal must add 3%

If this doesn't sell here, it's off to ebay/comiclink/back in my collection

I set up a "separate" Merchant account through the bank that I keep just enough money to make instant payments and pay fees, etc.

I can transfer back and forth to this account through Paypal, but Paypal cannot touch or have access to my other "personal" account.

This is helpful to me and was recommended to my by my bank. This might help with your problem.

Russ

I noticed that more and more sellers on the board ask for a Paypal's payment through the new personal option.

I only use the credit card payment. That's a choice, i don't want Paypal to be allowed to access my bank account.

The problem is that, in this case and because i used a credit card, I have to pay the Paypal's fee :cry:

I would never not take a payment where I eat the fees. Of course, I would like to see the buyer pick up some of the vig but if not, :shrug: it is the cost of doing business. And with the fees associated with this site being 0 :banana: i dont think 3% is much to complain about.

And, as a buyer, I dont mind paying some of the fees associated with the 3% either.

if i sell something and get my asking price, i would pay the 3% but if the buyer wants me to come down on the price to make the deal..i'll let them choose what they want to do pay the 3% or send it personal tab....i think thats pretty fair

I have different opinions depending on how well I know the buyer / seller, and whether they've met asking price or low-balled me. Also, an international shipment incurs exchange rate fees.

If I've had many successful transactions with a seller, got a discount and/or I'm on time payments, then I make the personal payment, and eat the fees out of gratitude for what the seller has done for me.

If I've been low-balled and thrown in free-shipping, then I ask for personal payment, but I don't demand it.

It does not bother me at all if someone could not use the personal tab to avoid the fees.

However, it sure is nice to do it when you can.

I use it every time I can. :)

If someone else thinks paying 3% is a good thing, I'm not going to argue with them.

I just go (shrug) in the back of my mind.

I set up a "separate" Merchant account through the bank that I keep just enough money to make instant payments and pay fees, etc.

I can transfer back and forth to this account through Paypal, but Paypal cannot touch or have access to my other "personal" account.

This is helpful to me and was recommended to my by my bank. This might help with your problem.

Russ

Same here.

I setup a bank account dedicated to PayPal transactions, and maintain enough money to sell and buy. I never want them having access to a main bank account.

Paypal has access to my main bank account... I've never worried about it til I read this thread. Why should I be worried?

Dan

If you are a seller, and PayPal decides to hold fees from your account like what has been posted recently, there is the small chance this can impact your non-comic funds that are wrapped up with your money received from sales.

It's rare that this would ever happen ( :wishluck: ), but just in case...

As a buyer, If I'm paying using a credit card, I usually voluntarily pay the 3% fees to sellers here on the boards. I just roughly figure the amount it will be and add that to my payment. I think I've been doing that for the last couple years. I don't think the seller should be punished because I want to pay with a credit card.

I would never not take a payment where I eat the fees. Of course, I would like to see the buyer pick up some of the vig but if not, :shrug: it is the cost of doing business. And with the fees associated with this site being 0 :banana: i dont think 3% is much to complain about.

And, as a buyer, I dont mind paying some of the fees associated with the 3% either.

(thumbs u

At the risk of upsetting a few folks (something I seem to be rather good at doh! ), I would suggest that the sellers should be happy with avoiding all the associated fees with eBay/CLink/Heritage and simply suck it up.

And...of course....don't send a personal payment non-credit card unless you absolutely trust the seller. You CANNOT file a claim on a personal payment, and if something happens, you will have to fall back on your credit card coverage...and I imagine Paypal is going to not be pleased with chargebacks made on personal payments that are designed specifically for sending money owed to for bills, or sent to people you know.

I ask buyers to use the personal payment tab when buying from me, but if they feel uncomfortable doing that or would have to pay fees on their end, no sweat. I like to avoid the fees when possible, but 3% isn't a big deal at all when you consider what other fees you avoid by selling here, as others have mentioned.

Look at the site www.paypalsucks.com {real site}. While I hope these types of horror stories don't happen to anyone here. The reality is that it can/has/will happen. You have to be very careful and smart. If Pay Pal wants to. They can freeze your account for any number of what they call "reasons".

When the thread to help Nik's{RIP} family came about. I was actually worried about what PayPal would/could do. It is/was a lot of money going into that one forum members account. I knew the forum member wasn't going to be a problem. But I did think that PayPal might get involved. It was over $50K!!! I could see the thread "PayPal screws us over"..... Do what you have to and can do to protect yourself.

You never know when PayPal will decide to freeze your money. Then try and get it all worked out. That is much easier said than done according to some of the horror stories on the above mentioned web-site about PayPal.

(thumbs u

At the risk of upsetting a few folks (something I seem to be rather good at doh! ), I would suggest that the sellers should be happy with avoiding all the associated fees with eBay/CLink/Heritage and simply suck it up.

A man's got to have some skills, FT :thumbsup:

Paypal has access to my main bank account... I've never worried about it til I read this thread. Why should I be worried?

Dan

Be worried ........... Be very worried :eek:

9780745949383.jpg

Why? They can't take money out of your bank account without permission.

Dan

Be worried ........... Be very worried :eek:

9780745949383.jpg

Why? They can't take money out of your bank account without permission.

This is true. Through some eBay snafu I had two people pay as the winning bidder for an auction. I didn't realize this had happened until after I had transfered the funds from my paypal account to my bank account (I had some funds already in there and the amount wasn't large enough to make me wonder where it had come from).

Obviously eBay and PayPal got there mess straight and emailed me stating I needed to add x.xx to my paypal account. Took me a few days because I had already earmarked the funds to go some where else. Other than maybe an additional email asking for payment they never indicated they would access my bank account and never did.