• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statistically, according to CGC census, the scarcest and most common JIMs are...

147 posts in this topic

The early JIM are quite hard to find in high grade. For the past 3 years I have been trying to work on putting together a set graded at CGC8.0 - 9.0 Some of them are real buggers to find, and when they do come up for sale they continue to sell for ever higher amounts. (Although I partially wonder if that is because there is a small handful of us trying to complete the run at the same time)

In 8.0+ 84, 89, 90, 91, 95 are the most difficult to find. 86 seems to be quite easy to find.

Of the first 20 I only need #87 if someone has a copy for sale.

Yes, that all fits quite nicely with the data I have. Here is the list showing hardest to find to easiest to find.

1. 94 (Extremely difficult to find above 7.0)

2. 90

3. 91

4. 93

5. 87

6 95

7 84

8. 92

9. 119

10. 104

11. 103

12. 97

13. 85

14. 88 and 96

15. 116, 110 and 117

16. 106

17. 123

18. 99, 100

19. 118

20. 102

21. 98

22. 83

23. 111

24. 105

25. 108

26. 122

27. 107

28. 101

29. 86

30. 113

31. 114

32. 109

33. 121

34. 125

35. 115

36. 124

37. 112 (Common ad dirt...)

what happened to 89?? super hard in grade to find :makepoint:

The early JIM are quite hard to find in high grade. For the past 3 years I have been trying to work on putting together a set graded at CGC8.0 - 9.0 Some of them are real buggers to find, and when they do come up for sale they continue to sell for ever higher amounts. (Although I partially wonder if that is because there is a small handful of us trying to complete the run at the same time)

In 8.0+ 84, 89, 90, 91, 95 are the most difficult to find. 86 seems to be quite easy to find.

Yes, that all fits quite nicely with the data I have. Here is the list showing hardest to find to easiest to find.

2. 90

3. 91

4. 93

5. 87

6 95

7 84

8. 92

9. 119

10. 104

11. 103

12. 97

13. 85

14. 88 and 96

15. 116, 110 and 117

16. 106

17. 123

18. 99, 100

19. 118

20. 102

21. 98

22. 83

23. 111

24. 105

25. 108

26. 122

27. 107

28. 101

29. 86

30. 113

31. 114

32. 109

33. 121

34. 125

35. 115

36. 124

I don't see issue 120 in there either.

Finally a thread I can sink my teeth into.

:grin:

Great work guys!

I don't know how many of these books are rare and how many are actually simply not traded much creating scarcity.

I do know that #90 is plague with printing problems such as chipping and noticeably poor page quality compared to surrounding issues.

#91 is tough due to the amount of black on the cover.

#89 is hoarded.

#84 is an unpopular Brown cover that also shows wear. 2nd app. Marvels seem to all be very tough books in general but I think the brown covers also got less love.

#95 has always been tough as has #87...I've also been looking for an 8.0 for about 2 years now...I've missed or been outbid on a couple. I have a line on one for some time now but the seller is not in a hurry.

Funny enough, in my experience issues #85, 86, #88 and #92 and up don't come across as being tough to me.

2. 90

3. 91

4. 93

5. 87

6 95

7 84

8. 92

9. 119

10. 104

11. 103

12. 97

13. 85

14. 88 and 96

15. 116, 110 and 117

16. 106

17. 123

18. 99, 100

19. 118

20. 102

21. 98

22. 83

23. 111

24. 105

25. 108

26. 122

27. 107

28. 101

29. 86

30. 113

31. 114

32. 109

33. 121

34. 125

35. 115

36. 124

I don't see issue 120 in there either.

Sorry about that, I've updated the original list, 89 is no. 11 on the list and 120 is no. 20.

I hope you used this site and didn't look them all up yourself.

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey Into Mystery&issuestart=51&issueend=100&vars=no

Edit: Don't know why I can't get the link to work. Copy and paste it.

It doesn't like the spaces in the link (after the word Journey)... try this one:

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey%20Into%20Mystery&issuestart=1&issueend=150&vars=no

(thumbs u

Even back in the pre CGC days.....I always knew that 87-95 were extremely hard to find in general. Especially 89-94.

Guess this validates that.....thanks for the leg work on the data (thumbs u

I`ve always thought 87 and 88 were relatively easy to find in high grade, definitely 88.

Finally a thread I can sink my teeth into.

:grin:

Great work guys!

I don't know how many of these books are rare and how many are actually simply not traded much creating scarcity.

I do know that #90 is plague with printing problems such as chipping and noticeably poor page quality compared to surrounding issues.

#91 is tough due to the amount of black on the cover.

#89 is hoarded.

#84 is an unpopular Brown cover that also shows wear. 2nd app. Marvels seem to all be very tough books in general but I think the brown covers also got less love.

#95 has always been tough as has #87...I've also been looking for an 8.0 for about 2 years now...I've missed or been outbid on a couple. I have a line on one for some time now but the seller is not in a hurry.

Funny enough, in my experience issues #85, 86, #88 and #92 and up don't come across as being tough to me.

86, according to my data, is very common compared to most other issues. 79 copies 7.0 and above. This includes 9 9.4 and above.

85 and 88 are pretty tough if you want a graded copy.

92 is extremely tough, eighth on the list. (By comparison, 95 is sixth on the list and there are only 4 more copies above 7.0 for issue 92.)

I've got some "tough" copies coming in as raw books soon.

Will let y'all know how they look when they show.

I have high hopes for a couple of them.

:wishluck:

Even back in the pre CGC days.....I always knew that 87-95 were extremely hard to find in general. Especially 89-94.

I`ve always thought 87 and 88 were relatively easy to find in high grade, definitely 88.

#87 is tough to find in VF or better and when it does show, prices multiply every time. I missed bidding on a copy on eBay about 2 years ago. It ended at about $500. Last copy I saw for sale topped $1500 a few months ago.

#88 is slightly easier to find but as stated by Mike, not CGC graded and not in high grade.

Does anyone have an speculation as to why JIM books seem to be the toughest SA Marvel title to complete in high grade?

#87 is tough to find in VF or better and when it does show, prices multiply every time. I missed bidding on a copy on eBay about 2 years ago. It ended at about $500. Last copy I saw for sale topped $1500 a few months ago.

#88 is slightly easier to find but as stated by Mike, not CGC graded and not in high grade.

Does anyone have an speculation as to why JIM books seem to be the toughest SA Marvel title to complete in high grade?

Isn't Strange Tales just as tough? I may do the same exercise with that title.

Nevermind. I did a preliminary check, Strange Tales is much more available across the board in grade than JIM. Even the earlier issues. (101 thru 120)

Nevermind. I did a preliminary check, Strange Tales is much more available across the board in grade than JIM. Even the earlier issues. (101 thru 120)

Check Tales to Astonish

great work on the list. It would be the finishing touch however if it were possible to mathematically allow for the key or demand status in the calculations. What I mean is, balance out the census totals for each issue by factoring in that a more important issue (like 83 or 112) has been slabbed more often than a common issue. Add a multiplier to each book based on its Guide price relative to each other? And another for date of publication, as the older early Marvels should be scarcer overall than books from 1965.

Course, even if that were done, we'd still have the 'ghost" crack n slab data in there affecting the census totals.

great work on the list. It would be the finishing touch however if it were possible to mathematically allow for the key or demand status in the calculations. What I mean is, balance out the census totals for each issue by factoring in that a more important issue (like 83 or 112) has been slabbed more often than a common issue. Add a multiplier to each book based on its Guide price relative to each other? And another for date of publication, as the older early Marvels should be scarcer overall than books from 1965.

Course, even if that were done, we'd still have the 'ghost" crack n slab data in there affecting the census totals.

Yes. I had considered some algorithm to do that, but the data is just too imprecise to be able to do that. For instance, we know that the "key" is 83, but many people would consider 84 more of a key than 112, so how do we weight what is MORE key? Pricing is too inconsistent as some books rarely come up for sale. It just isn't practical when factored in with the obvious flaw with the census numbers affected by crack and resub, crack and no resub or destruction. The last isn't discussed much, but it happens. Fire and Water happen, and a vintage comic has little defense.

Check Tales to Astonish

I'll probably get to that, I did do a "Universal" ranking on many of the main Timely titles. If anyone is interested in that, let me know and I'll post it in a new thread. Some of the results were quite interesting.

Yes. I had considered some algorithm to do that, but the data is just too imprecise to be able to do that. For instance, we know that the "key" is 83, but many people would consider 84 more of a key than 112, so how do we weight what is MORE key? Pricing is too inconsistent as some books rarely come up for sale. It just isn't practical when factored in with the obvious flaw with the census numbers affected by crack and resub, crack and no resub or destruction. The last isn't discussed much, but it happens. Fire and Water happen, and a vintage comic has little defense.

Nerd alert: I think the best would be to run a Poisson Regression with # in slabs over 6.5 as LHS variable and using: a vairable for age (0 for oldest, 1 for more recent, and son one) and OSPG in NM as RHS variable, maybe throwing in a dummy for # 83 and look at the residuals or difference in expected and actual as indication of "toughness". I'd be happy to run the numbers but I don't have the OSPG value. Anyone can provide that?

The issue of "keyness" is what OSPG is there for. It's the best approximation we have and reflects the overall consensus of relative attractiveness of each issue in the run. I am guessing the run is fully broken out?

Yes. I had considered some algorithm to do that, but the data is just too imprecise to be able to do that. For instance, we know that the "key" is 83, but many people would consider 84 more of a key than 112, so how do we weight what is MORE key?

Umm... price? Just use 9.4 (or whatever grade) gpa data as your "key barometer"

Umm... price? Just use 9.4 (or whatever grade) gpa data as your "key barometer"

That man makes sense :applause:

One would think so, but as I said, MANY of these issue do not have a recorded sale in high-grade for quite a while. If ever...

Nerd alert: I think the best would be to run a Poisson Regression with # in slabs over 6.5 as LHS variable and using: a vairable for age (0 for oldest, 1 for more recent, and son one) and OSPG in NM as RHS variable, maybe throwing in a dummy for # 83 and look at the residuals or difference in expected and actual as indication of "toughness". I'd be happy to run the numbers but I don't have the OSPG value. Anyone can provide that?

The issue of "keyness" is what OSPG is there for. It's the best approximation we have and reflects the overall consensus of relative attractiveness of each issue in the run. I am guessing the run is fully broken out?

Nope. Won't work, at least not reliably, as I said, none of that accounts for resubmissions, lost books or books that are no longer slabbed. Also, the huge holes in data as far as books that rarely if ever come up for sale, but technically exist. But as they have never sold, we cannot assume a "value" Also, "keyness" is based upon current market conditions many times, books fall in and out of favor according to the whim of the collecting, errrr... collective. I'm sorry, you're welcome to use this data however you wish, but I don't see how it will prove anything. (That's one reason, that I stated my original disclaimer about not being able to account for the skewed data within the census that cannot account for cracked slabs.)