• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Statistically, according to CGC census, the scarcest and most common JIMs are...

147 posts in this topic

I've started trying to put together the JIM Thor run and I'm a statistics nut, so I compiled the numbers from CGC census to see what the relative scarcity was for graded examples. I found the numbers mildly surprising... The basis for the data is a compilation of all graded examples (unrstored) at 7.0 and above.

Scarcest JIM above 6.5 is issue 94 with only 31 copies above 6.5. (There is a 9.6 for this book however. No 9.8s)

Second scarcest is issue 90 with only 32 copies above 6.5 (There is a single 9.6 and no 9.8s)

Third scarcest is issue 91 with only 33 copies above 6.5 (There is nothing above 9.4 for this one...)

Most Common by a country mile is issue 112 with a whopping 192 copies above 6.5 (Only 5 9.6s however, and no 9.8s)

Second most common is issue 124 with a 166 copies. (No 9.8s but 24 9.6s)

Third most common is issue 115 with 114 copies. (No 0 9.8s but 7 9.6s)

Disclaimer for this data is that obviously 112 is a much more desirable issue than all the others on this list because of the "vs Hulk" storyline, leading to more submissions. But the data is pretty compelling that there just isn't a lot of high-grade examples out there for most of this run. Several early issues, that would pass the litmus test for being "key", also are very high on the list of scarcity, such as issue 84 which is the 7th scarcest on the list. 87 is also very scarce, ranking 5th on the list. Hope this isn't repetitive, I couldn't find any comparable thread through search, but that may be due to my own shortcomings and not the presence of such a thread. lol

I've started trying to put together the JIM Thor run and I'm a statistics nut, so I compiled the numbers from CGC census to see what the relative scarcity was for graded examples. I found the numbers mildly surprising... The basis for the data is a compilation of all graded examples (unrstored) at 7.0 and above.

Scarcest JIM above 6.5 is issue 94 with only 31 copies above 6.5. (There is a 9.6 for this book however. No 9.8s)

Second scarcest is issue 90 with only 32 copies above 6.5 (There is a single 9.6 and no 9.8s)

Third scarcest is issue 91 with only 33 copies above 6.5 (There is nothing above 9.4 for this one...)

Most Common by a country mile is issue 112 with a whopping 192 copies above 6.5 (Only 5 9.6s however, and no 9.8s)

Disclaimer for this data is that obviously 112 is a much more desirable issue than all the others on this list because of the "vs Hulk" storyline, leading to more submissions. But the data is pretty compelling that there just isn't a lot of high-grade examples out there for most of this run. Several early issues, that would pass the litmus test for being "key", also are very high on the list of scarcity, such as issue 84 which is the 7th scarcest on the list. 87 is also very scarce, ranking 5th on the list. Hope this isn't repetitive, I couldn't find any comparable thread through search, but that may be due to my own shortcomings and not the presence of such a thread. lol

I think these are interesting statistics - thanks for sharing. IMHO the census is not an entirely reliable barometer to determine scarcity mainly because the two most important variables that determine population data are i) sales trends and ii) value. At its most basic understanding, CGC is used primarily as a sales tool. If I have no desire to sell, perhaps there would be less inclination to certify. Production, distribution and artwork do play some part in books appearing in higher grades more often than others, though I think for tertiary titles you have to look at the total picture, especially in terms of activity with past sales to really gain an insight into relative scarcity.

I think these are interesting statistics - thanks for sharing. IMHO the census is not an entirely reliable barometer to determine scarcity mainly because the two most important variables that determine population data are i) sales trends and ii) value. At its most basic understanding, CGC is used primarily as a sales tool. If I have no desire to sell, perhaps there would be less inclination to certify. Production, distribution and artwork do play some part in books appearing in higher grades more often than others, though I think for tertiary titles you have to look at the total picture, especially in terms activity with past sales to really gain an insight into relative scarcity.

Very true. This IS just a possible indicator of scarcity. I do think it's probably fairly close though. Many collectors like their books slabbed, for various reasons. I'm sure there are high-grade examples of all the books that aren't slabbed, but typically, availability and the census, as far as silverage is concerned, should be a solid starting point for determining scarcity. JIMs are pretty highly collected, especially of late, so we should have even better indicators with each census update as dealers try to take advantage of the pre-movie price bump.

Whatever the data says years of collecting tell me 95 and 103 are fuggers to get above Fine.

84 too but I haven't been looking for that book above Fine due to the price.

Whatever the data says years of collecting tell me 95 and 103 are fuggers to get above Fine.

112 tops the list because it's a key.

124 was a warehouse find.

112 tops the list because it's a key.

124 was a warehouse find.

112 being a key certainly accounts for some of it, but it is exponentially more available than 83 (The biggest key of the run, obviously), 84 (Should truly be the second most important book in the run.) or any other issue other than the late run 124. Everybody likes the vs Hulk issues but, that much more? Could be I suppose.

That fits nicely into the data, issue 95 is the sixth least common of the run at only 44 copies above 6.5.

Issue 103 is the 11th least common with only 51 copies above 6.5

We've been discussing this somewhat in the Silver Age JIM Collecting Thread...yeah, 90 is super difficult which is surprising as the light cover doesn't lend itself to being notoriously difficult in grade...same with 94...91 has fairly dark colors so that makes some sense...90 is notorious for chipping...I just find all the JIMs below 99 super difficult in grade and they just don't show up very often...

I've settled on going after the nicest I can find 7.0 and up...even if I could afford the HG copies (or I should say was willing to spend) there just not out there to be had...

Scarcest JIM above 6.5 is issue 94 with only 31 copies above 6.5.

Cool. That makes me glad that I bought this copy from a board member (I believe it was Roy) last year. :acclaim:

JourneyIntoMystery94VF-.jpg

It has a short tanning strip along the top edge of the back cover but it's still a sweet copy. :)

We've been discussing this somewhat in the Silver Age JIM Collecting Thread...yeah, 90 is super difficult which is surprising as the light cover doesn't lend itself to being notoriously difficult in grade...same with 94...91 has fairly dark colors so that makes some sense...90 is notorious for chipping...I just find all the JIMs below 99 super difficult in grade and they just don't show up very often...

I've settled on going after the nicest I can find 7.0 and up...even if I could afford the HG copies (or I should say was willing to spend) there just not out there to be had...

Looks like I'll be doing the same, I just sold a 7.0 90 because I didn't like the writing on the cover, but it doesn't look like it's going to be terribly easy to replace...

Looks like I'll be doing the same, I just sold a 7.0 90 because I didn't like the writing on the cover, but it doesn't look like it's going to be terribly easy to replace...

:gossip: I'll sell it back to you at a (cough, cough)...modest profit :baiting:

:gossip: I'll sell it back to you at a (cough, cough)...modest profit :baiting:

lol

I hope you used this site and didn't look them all up yourself.

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey Into Mystery&issuestart=51&issueend=100&vars=no

Edit: Don't know why I can't get the link to work. Copy and paste it.

I hope you used this site and didn't look them all up yourself.

http://www.gregholland.com/CGC/customissues.asp?title=Journey Into Mystery&issuestart=51&issueend=100&vars=no

Edit: Don't know why I can't get the link to work. Copy and paste it.

Nope. Didn't know about that site. That certainly would have saved a little time. (Wish GPA supported reporting, it would make life soooo much easier.)

The early JIM are quite hard to find in high grade. For the past 3 years I have been trying to work on putting together a set graded at CGC8.0 - 9.0 Some of them are real buggers to find, and when they do come up for sale they continue to sell for ever higher amounts. (Although I partially wonder if that is because there is a small handful of us trying to complete the run at the same time)

In 8.0+ 84, 89, 90, 91, 95 are the most difficult to find. 86 seems to be quite easy to find.

Of the first 20 I only need #87 if someone has a copy for sale.

The early JIM are quite hard to find in high grade. For the past 3 years I have been trying to work on putting together a set graded at CGC8.0 - 9.0 Some of them are real buggers to find, and when they do come up for sale they continue to sell for ever higher amounts. (Although I partially wonder if that is because there is a small handful of us trying to complete the run at the same time)

In 8.0+ 84, 89, 90, 91, 95 are the most difficult to find. 86 seems to be quite easy to find.

Yes, that all fits quite nicely with the data I have. Here is the list showing hardest to find to easiest to find.

1. 94 (Extremely difficult to find above 7.0)

2. 90

3. 91

4. 93

5. 87

6 95

7 84

8. 92

9. 119

10. 104

11. 103 and 89

12. 97

13. 85

14. 88 and 96

15. 116, 110 and 117

16. 106

17. 123

18. 99, 100

19. 118

20. 102 and 120

21. 98

22. 83

23. 111

24. 105

25. 108

26. 122

27. 107

28. 101

29. 86

30. 113

31. 114

32. 109

33. 121

34. 125

35. 115

36. 124

37. 112 (Common ad dirt...)

Yes, that all fits quite nicely with the data I have. Here is the list showing hardest to find to easiest to find.

1. 94 (Extremely difficult to find above 7.0)

2. 90

3. 91

4. 93

5. 87

6 95

7 84

8. 92

9. 119

10. 104

11. 103

12. 97

13. 85

14. 88 and 96

15. 116, 110 and 117

16. 106

17. 123

18. 99, 100

19. 118

20. 102

21. 98

22. 83

23. 111

24. 105

25. 108

26. 122

27. 107

28. 101

29. 86

30. 113

31. 114

32. 109

33. 121

34. 125

35. 115

36. 124

37. 112 (Common ad dirt...)

84, 90 and 95 are the most difficult to acquire 9.0 and above. Don't know why #90 was so difficult but it was. #84 with the brown cover was near impossible above 8.0.