• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking slabs for sigs..

My results for cracking slabs to get a sig  

129 members have voted

1. 1. My results for cracking slabs to get a sig

25 posts in this topic

I have probably cracked about 200+ slabs (mine and for customers) for the specific purpose of getting the books doen for SS.

I would say 90% of grades stayed the same , 9% got a nice bump (one even went up , from a 9.4 to 9.8 :) ) and only 1% have dropped a grade.

I have probably cracked about 200+ slabs (mine and for customers) for the specific purpose of getting the books doen for SS.

I would say 90% of grades stayed the same , 9.9% got a nice bump (one even went up , from a 9.4 to 9.8 :) ) and only 0.1% have dropped a grade.

If I remember my math correctly, if you cracked and re-submitted 1,000 slabs, only 1 could drop in grade in order for the percentage to be 0.1%. :baiting:

Ive sent in 3 or 4 slabs for sigs and they all came back the same grade

My Albatross Goon #4 went from a 9.6 to a 9.8. :cloud9:

But that's an exception. 90-95% of the time, the grade comes back the same. I've only had two cracked books come back lower after signing, so not too shabby thus far.

This should go without saying, but don't even think about cracking out a 9.9 or a 10.

No... those you send to the witness still slabbed, and let THEM crack it out :insane:

Cimm had it right the first time; Witnesses are regular people too and don't possess any special abilities that allow them to crack 9.9/10's without affecting the grade.

Also, keep in mind that with SS slabs a witness HAS to crack the book otherwise your gonna get a qualified back.

I would say 90% of grades stayed the same , 9.9% got a nice bump (one even went up , from a 9.4 to 9.8 :) ) and only 0.1% have dropped a grade.

If I remember my math correctly, if you cracked and re-submitted 1,000 slabs, only 1 could drop in grade in order for the percentage to be 0.1%. :baiting:

1% sorry....I have had about 2 or 3 books that were resubed and got a lower grade.

Normally books hold their grade. I have only had one that was cracked and re-subbed where the grade dropped and that grade was extremely soft. I absolutely knew that it would not hold its grade. But the value of the books is in the sigs not the grade and it also dropped from 9.4 to 9.2 so no big deal.

In my experience with slab cracking, the grade typically stays the same UNLESS something literally happens to the book.

Ask oneasian what happens when you crack a 9.8 and then have it signed with a ball-point pen.

eww. Don't remind me! I can't help it if the guy uses a sharpie on the first book, then puts it down to pick up his pen!

In my experience with slab cracking, the grade typically stays the same UNLESS something literally happens to the book.

Ask oneasian what happens when you crack a 9.8 and then have it signed with a ball-point pen.

eww. Don't remind me! I can't help it if the guy uses a sharpie on the first book, then puts it down to pick up his pen!

Sure you can, tackle him first. :devil:

doh!

Cracking out a book can be risky. In the begining of my CGC SS run with Stan Lee I was unaware of the risk and got incredibly lucky because nothing went down. But that luck didn't last.

Recently I had a Hulk #2 that was 6.0 drop to 4.5 due to a spine split that I wasn't even aware of. In that same group of books however, I had a Fantastic Four #3 go from 4.5 to 5.5 (ChaChing!), so in the end if you do enough books, it all balances out.

Bill.

Cracking out a book can be risky. In the begining of my CGC SS run with Stan Lee I was unaware of the risk and got incredibly lucky because nothing went down. But that luck didn't last.

Recently I had a Hulk #2 that was 6.0 drop to 4.5 due to a spine split that I wasn't even aware of. In that same group of books however, I had a Fantastic Four #3 go from 4.5 to 5.5 (ChaChing!), so in the end if you do enough books, it all balances out.

Bill.

And let's not forget the Hulk 181 that Chandler had for a customer go from 9.6 to 9.8 after being signed by Stan. :o

While we're on the topic of cracking out books, my experience with PGX has been HORRIBLE. I've had a number of 9.8's drop after getting signed and submitted to CGC. I used to think it was a great deal to pick up a PGX 9.8 for much less than a CGC 9.8 of the same book, but it turns out you get what you pay for. Every now and then I take a flyer, hoping that my luck will turn out better, but I almost always end up disappointed. Once I purchased a PGX 9.8 copy of Star Wars #1, but after inspecting the book, concluded that it would be lucky to get 9.6 from CGC. I ended up selling it on feebay, and the buyer was so outraged once he saw the book in person that he claimed that the book must have somehow been switched.

And I've also had a couple of blue label PGX books end up as SS Restored with CGC.