• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I've heard of "tough" black covers but ..........

61 posts in this topic

It used to be that ASM #28 was tough to get in high grade due to the black cover.

Then it was ALL black covers that were tough to get in high grade.

Not I am seeing several PURPLE COVERS being sold lately as if they too were "tough" colors to get.

And I am seeing books being sold as "tough green cover".

So is there any color of ink that isn't "tough" to find in high grade other than white covers? (shrug)

How many green SA covers are there?

Four? lol

JIM 95

Strange Tales 106

Hulk 4

TTA 40

hm

Avengers 56

Post '65 so it doesn't count. :shy:

TTA 62

Those Golden age covers always looks awesome to me for some reason hm

I knew a Texan would appreciate the finer things in life.

From what I have heard certain colors simply crack more easily than others due to the pigment causing the inks to be more brittle.

Part of the issue with black is that sometimes printers made "black ink" by simply mixing together leftover ink of other dark colors. So, in effect, black was sometimes a junky hybrid mix (like pot metal) that would not hold up as well as an original pure blend.

Knowledge :cloud9:

Whatever the reasons, dark covers ARE tough to find in high CGC grade. The two most scarce Avengers to find in 9.4 or better condition are the #1 and this issue:

These are the two more recent ones that are the hardest. Also black covers.

103AV94.jpg

140AV94.jpg