• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Spotlight #5 or Amazing Spider-man #129

31 posts in this topic

What do you mean by "worth"? Do you mean "which one has the most investment potential"? Probably MS #5, when comparing census numbers.

But they are both massive keys that have pretty much maxed their potential over the years (meaning, there won't be any great leaps and bounds in value in the future.)

If you mean sheer coolness?

hm

Spidey #129. But not by a lot.

:)

True story....the 1990 OPG lists Marvel Spotlight #5 for $8 in "N-Mint"...

:cry:

But until 1987 ASM 129 was no more that $2.

I picked up a 9.0 (NM at the time) in 1986 for $8.

Oh, I'm not disputing Spidey #129's meteoric rise from nothing to superstar in a couple short years, after being cheap bin fodder for more than a decade. ;)

In the 1984 OPG, she was a mere unbroken out $2 (and probably the same in 85 and 86, but they're not at my fingertips right now).

In the 1988 OPG, she was $22, and by 1989, $75.

;)

In the same 1984 OPG, MS #5 was...$8.

So in 1984, you could (in theory, naturally) have traded 1 NM copy of MS #5 for 4 NM copies of Spidey #129....then, by 1990, traded 1 NM copy of Spidey #129 for 23 NM copies of MS #5....

lol

Which one is worth getting the most?

MS 5 has more things going for it...

1st GR

Picture Frame cover

Black cover

Older

2c

Other than older (and only by a year and a half), these are pretty subjective traits, in terms of "things collectors value."

1st GR, sure, but is GR more popular than Punny...? hm

1st GR

Picture Frame cover

Black cover

Older

2c

Other than older (and only by a year and a half), these are pretty subjective traits, in terms of "things collectors value."

Aren't all things about collecting subjective? What I pointed out were things that are known factors people who collect bronze age book look for. Each of them have unique groups who specifically look for them... PF collectors, black cover collectors, 1st appearance collectors, 20¢ collectors

So for ASM 129...

1st Punisher

1st Jackal

Yellow cover (yes, some people like that too)

BTW, ASM 129 was $22 in the '88 OPG.

1st GR

Picture Frame cover

Black cover

Older

2c

Aren't all things about collecting subjective? What I pointed out were things that are known factors people who collect bronze age book look for. Each of them have unique groups who specifically look for them... PF collectors, black cover collectors, 1st appearance collectors, 20¢ collectors

So for ASM 129...

1st Punisher

1st Jackal

I remember the phenominal price leaps ASM 129 took shortly after the first Punisher mini-series was published. This book was on everyone's want list, and I mean EVERYONE.

I was lucky to pick up a NM copy at a local convention for $35 (guide was $25). The fella beside me saw the book I purchased, loved it, and started following me around the convention floor, trying to buy the book from me. After two hours, I finally relented and sold it to him for $100. That's how hot the book was back then.

I can't recall demand for Marvel Spotlight #5 coming remotely close to that of ASM #129, even when the 1990 re-launch of Ghost Rider was one of the hottest titles in the Marvel Universe, and the subsequent movie hype with Nicolas Cage several years later, and I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime.

Sure, there are more high grade copies of ASM 129 than MS 5, but keep in mind that ASM 129 is collected by Spidey fans & Punisher fans , whereas, MS 5 appeals only to Ghost Rider collectors.

1st GR

Picture Frame cover

Black cover

Older

2c

Aren't all things about collecting subjective?

Absolutely, which is why I asked the question.

What I pointed out were things that are known factors people who collect bronze age book look for. Each of them have unique groups who specifically look for them... PF collectors, black cover collectors, 1st appearance collectors, 20¢ collectors

So for ASM 129...

1st Punisher

1st Jackal

My point is this: you said "MS #5 has more things going for it"...but just how important are those considerations to collectors en toto when compared to the things Spidey #129 has going for it? ie, how many people specifically collect, say, the Marvel picture frames from late 1971 to 1973 vs. how many collect 1st appearances, vs. how many collect just Punisher, etc?

Not that there's anything wrong with that. I collect everything printed with a May, 1972 cover date and every comic with "Joe" on the cover. But....I'm sure I'm in a tiny, tiny group of people who collects by such criteria, if not the only one. So, even though those are concerns for me, they're probably not important to the collecting world as a whole, and have very little impact a "thing a comic has going for it."

The very BIGGEST thing Spidey #129 has going for it outside of Punny's 1st? It's an Amazing Spiderman book. That consideration alone puts it head and shoulders above the people who collect picture frames, black covers, and older combined. Far, far more people collect Amazing Spidey than do those other niche considerations.

Know what I'm sayin'....?

Now, I'm certainly not trying to convince anyone that anyone can say with absolute certainty which one is "worth getting the most"...but, I believe, with all factors considered in a statistical manner, Spidey #129 does have a slight edge over MS #5, at this time. But that's just my opinion, and I'm certainly not going to do an exhaustive case study on both to convince everyone else.

It's a great discussion, and thanks for allowing me to expand my thoughts.

(thumbs u

Correct! That was a typo on my part that I hope was clear from the context. ;)

I remember the phenominal price leaps ASM 129 took shortly after the first Punisher mini-series was published. This book was on everyone's want list, and I mean EVERYONE.

I was lucky to pick up a NM copy at a local convention for $35 (guide was $25). The fella beside me saw the book I purchased, loved it, and started following me around the convention floor, trying to buy the book from me. After two hours, I finally relented and sold it to him for $100. That's how hot the book was back then.

I can't recall demand for Marvel Spotlight #5 coming remotely close to that of ASM #129, even when the 1990 re-launch of Ghost Rider was one of the hottest titles in the Marvel Universe, and the subsequent movie hype with Nicolas Cage several years later, and I don't think it'll happen in my lifetime.

Sure, there are more high grade copies of ASM 129 than MS 5, but keep in mind that ASM 129 is collected by Spidey fans & Punisher fans , whereas, MS 5 appeals only to Ghost Rider collectors.

It truly was amazing what Spidey #129 did in those few short years. In the late 80's, all anyone talked about was Silver Age High Grade...and Spidey #129. Reading market reports at the time was like reading one long advert for Spidey #129.

The only thing that came close to knocking off Spidey #129's popularity at the top of the comic world was Death in the Family.

Both Spidey #129 and Bats #428 did what no other comics have ever done, before or since.

It was nutso.