• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

I see hawks in South Tampa a few times a year.

I've never seen an owl before until seeing these in the trees at dusk, starting about two years ago.

Seeing them in daylight is outside my life's experience.

They are like the spirits of the dead, haunting little backyard garden creatures of the leafy suburbs.

I was at a baseball camp in rural Missouri in the summer of 1986. My uncle who lived in Springfield at the time, came to take me to get some real food, which was greatly appreciated. As we drove down a fairly tight, hilly pass, something appeared at the edge of my peripheral vision.

Before I could process it, a great horned owl hit the windshield of my uncle's car. The body was between the size of a large chicken and a small turkey, but the wings must have been 3 feet long each. The great bird did at least one complete spin, possibly more, and again, before I could completely process it, took to flight again with two sweeping flaps of its wings.

That is the closest I have ever been to an owl. And though it was scary for all of us, it was amazing to see one that up close and personal, without it scooping up a baby in its talons or something.

:)

All this aviary talk is fascinating.

I had the privilege of seeing a hawk on the same road almost every day for almost 7 years.

Was taking a walk on my lunch hour one time and I saw a hawk land, pick up a pine cone, fly up to and land on a branch in a nearby tree and then drop the pine cone.

At first, I'm like, "what the hell is he doing that for?" and then it hit me, he was using the pine cone as bait. Unfortunately, I couldn't stick around to see if the bait worked. I'd have LOVED to see the hawk swoop down and grab some small animal or bird.

He well may have been trying to break the pine nuts free.

Possibly, but I don't think so. He wasn't dropping it, picking it up and then dropping it again and again. I've seen seagulls do that to crack the shells of crabs. Plus, the ground he was dropping the pine cone on was grass and not from any great height.

He well may have been trying to break the pine nuts free.

Possibly, but I don't think so. He wasn't dropping it, picking it up and then dropping it again and again. I've seen seagulls do that to crack the shells of crabs. Plus, the ground he was dropping the pine cone on was grass and not from any great height.

So, what's your theory then?

Was he trying to shake things up on the ground beneath; get something to run or come out of a hole?