• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ogami's Shadow Gallery!

7,518 posts in this topic

When the Avengers movie opened up and theaters got the idea of showing all the pre-Avengers movies the night before the premiere, I got pretty excited. Until I did the math and realized I'm old and I would have been miserable being in a theater for 15+ hours sustained on buttered popcorn, snow-caps and coke zero. Also, I really wanted my kids to have a great time rewatching the movies and seeing Avengers with me, so here's what I ended up doing:

phonepicdump2009-20121560.jpg

The Movie titles are in color, and aren't showing up in my picture, but we basically watched a movie a night, for five nights in a row, in order, then saw the Avengers opening night, then went to free comic book day on Saturday, resulting in 7 days of Avengers. :cloud9:

I set up the living room with Avengers materials, my busts, my Cap movie poster, etc. The flyer was made by me, the artwork at the bottom drawn by me.

We had a blast.

So I've been wanting to post my new comic book cabinet for some time. As you will know, if you started at the beginning of this thread, I have gone through multiple versions of comic warehousing through the years.

As a child, my first comic book box was the wooden housing that my dad's law firm sign came in. :cloud9: I have very fond memories of sliding it out from under my bed and storing all my comics in it.

My next big step up, as a teen, was to store all my comics in those steamer trunks that were popular during the eighties. At one point, I had four of them, housing about 1600 books. More fond memories. :cloud9:

I finally broke down in my young adulthood and bought comic book boxes, but I have to tell you, I never converted. I simply put up with. Comic boxes have never made sense to me.

I went through a magazine box phase, in which I bought quite a lot, but realized that they bent comics too easily and took up WAY too much space. And while I've seen members make sense of it, I found through trial and error for myself they did not work.

I finally decided about six years ago to go to all short boxes, and so the bookshelves and short boxes set up that you see in the earlier thread was what I used for a few years. Again, still not in love. More in, not hate. The amount of dust that accumulated on the boxes was absurd, and the amount of effort in taking a box down from the shelf, opening it, (cough, cough, time to dust. again.) sitting it on another surface (daybed use #34) pulling books, placing lid back on (cough, cough) and returning to shelf. blech.

Last Summer, my best friend started using drawerboxes. And I quickly jumped on his bandwagon. After looking into it for myself, crunching some numbers and realizing how many I would need, I bit the bullet and bought them all at once. So here is my how I built my drawerbox cabinet.

The first step was in putting together all of the drawerboxes. I went with the longs. My set up was to be six wide and five high for a total cube of 30 longboxes.

phonepicdump2009-2012237.jpg

The first thing that I built for the cabinet was the base (which you can see above). It is made of 2x4's and enforced throughout. The weight is evenly distributed and there is no danger of toppling. I then purchased strips of fabric sliders that I could cut and place all the way around the bottom of the base. this gives a uniform appearance, keeps down on crawlies and dust and allows the cabinet to slide on the floor when necessary.

Here's a picture of the cabinet, completed, stained and varnished, now in the room. This meant that all of my comics are now either in this cabinet or under the daybed. I no longer have three shelving units for storing comics.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to pull a comic book now. What used to require more time and effort and therefore was performed less, is now done quickly and easily. As a result, I spend more time with my comics, instead of looking at boxes of my comics.

phonepicdump2009-2012249.jpg

Two final thoughts: These pictures now catch the thread up from 2008 to today. The next pics you see of the room will be current. And now the cabinet has fronts to it to show off my books. I'll post that when I post the current pics of the room.

Here's a picture of the cabinet, completed, stained and varnished, now in the room. This meant that all of my comics are now either in this cabinet or under the daybed. I no longer have three shelving units for storing comics.

I can't tell you how much fun it is to pull a comic book now. What used to require more time and effort and therefore was performed less, is now done quickly and easily. As a result, I spend more time with my comics, instead of looking at boxes of my comics.

Two final thoughts: These pictures now catch the thread up from 2008 to today. The next pics you see of the room will be current. And now the cabinet has fronts to it to show off my books. I'll post that when I post the current pics of the room.

:applause: Nice job Nate!! Now you'll also have time for more :banana:Mayhem :banana:

Tonight there's gonna be a jailbreak

Somewhere in this town

See me and the boys we don't like it

So were getting up and going down

Hiding low looking right to left

If you see us coming I think it's best

To move away do you hear what I say

From under my breath

Somewhere in the town

So don't you be around

Don't you be around

:applause: