• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Maker's Mark...

38 posts in this topic

A good observation!. The mark should be on the front or back cover (outside) so it can be verified through the slab. I confess to not being much of a slab buyer. I have maybe 8 or so slabbed books I got for a few bucks each at a flea market. The only slabbed books I actually opurchased for my pre-code collection I removed from the slabs. So I tended to think in terms of the non-slab collector. But yes, I vote for the outside of the back cover.

The slab and inner well have UV inhibitors. You couldn't verify it through the slab even if you put the invisible ink on the outside cover.

Infrared, then? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sign-funnypost.gif I think I got it down to 23 seconds now! 27_laughing.gif

23 seconds? The mark or your arse? 27_laughing.gif

You have an arse fetish poke2.gif

You said arse... ehh hehehe..eeheheheh.

Let's say three of the top restorers decided to do this (i.e. put an invisible mark on the book so that someone with a UV Light could see it).

Explain to me how this helps them or a potential buyer.

1) Not all books would have this, so is it really assuarance that if you don't see the mark, the book is unrestored?

2) Doesn't CGC already note on the label the extent of restoration and type? Yet, everyone complains that the PLOD with even the smallest restoration, just kills a book value?

3) Lastly, the restorers who did put this mark on the book, would PROBABLY LOSE BUSINESS. Why, because those people who want work done on their book and for whatever reason don't feel the need to disclose it (i.e. either because they feel pressing isn't restoration or they are just want to defraud the buyer), will go to a restorer who doesn't put this mark on the book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's so funny, but everyone expects the RESTORE to take the HIGH ROAD. The real HIGH ROAD, is CGC, an independent third party, who actually MAKES MONEY giving their opinion on if a book is restored or not.

3b) What about the idea that a collector does not want their book marked because what are the true long term effects of the mark? Could it chemically alter as time passes and change the area of the comic? Perhaps the area becomes brittle or maybe the colors change. Depending on the various types of paper quality, inks, ink colors etc. this might be an issue.

Just a thought.......

3b) What about the idea that a collector does not want their book marked because what are the true long term effects of the mark? Could it chemically alter as time passes and change the area of the comic? Perhaps the area becomes brittle or maybe the colors change. Depending on the various types of paper quality, inks, ink colors etc. this might be an issue.

Well, consider what tests have been done on the inks themselves and the various papers that make up these comics. Obviously there was a major slip in the staples, considering things like rust migration. grin.gif (Yeah, I am being pithy!)

Seriously, I don't think it would be much of a chore to come up with a truly archival marker.

But postulating that the collectors are concerned with the impact of this small mark would hopefully, imply they have sufficient knowledge of the various retorative techniques this Mark is intended to reveal. I don't think most collectors have a real handle on restoration, or on the impact of various restoration processes. If they did PLODs would be selling etter and higher. This is honestly not intended to be a damning thing. And, on these boards, the various restoration topics seems to be understood somewhat better than other venues I have experienced.

If a collector truly DOES have real knowledge of restoration processes, they would be able to determine for themselves the viability of the Mark. And if insufficient information were made available about the Mark's composition, they would recognize that and question it.

But a general a collector does not want their book marked because what are the true long term effects of the mark? ??? I say let the collector reach the point that they CAN make the determiniation for themself. Why? Because restoration in comic books is a fact, it is pretty common, and anyone who is going to pay enough for a book for them to think about what the Mark may impact should danged well know what the other restoration processes will impact.

And they dang well should understand what makes a book an honest and true candidate for restoration (probably the single most difficult point to get across.)

hi.gif

If a collector truly DOES have real knowledge of restoration processes, they would be able to determine for themselves the viability of the Mark. And if insufficient information were made available about the Mark's composition, they would recognize that and question it.

893whatthe.gif Please tell me that you meant to say "SUFFICIENT IMFORMATION" there POV. 27_laughing.gif

893whatthe.gif Please tell me that you meant to say "SUFFICIENT IMFORMATION" there POV. 27_laughing.gif

Oh Brain, Brain, Brain. Friend Brain.

Now WHY would a collector that DOES have real restoration knowledge NOT question this concept: if insufficient information were made available about the Mark's composition, they (editor's note - "they" meaning collectors with real resto knowledge) would recognize that and question it.

Well to split small hairs with you.. perhaps you should have worded it.

If insifficient information was given about the Mark's composition, they would recognize that and question it.

It would have read better..

The way you wrote it is kind of an oxymoron. I can see why Brain called you out on it.. It was more how you worded it that was under fire, NOT your point.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Oh Brain, Brain, Brain. Friend Brain.

Now WHY would a collector that DOES have real restoration knowledge NOT question this concept: if insufficient information were made available about the Mark's composition, they (editor's note - "they" meaning collectors with real resto knowledge) would recognize that and question it.

POV, you know me well enough to to know that it was a matter of confussion, rather than a dig. I have learned more from

your post, and insightful imfo on all matter resto, than most any one else on these boards. I offer my most sincere

apology, as I now see it in context. sorry.gif................ flowerred.gif

If insifficient information was given about the Mark's composition, they would recognize that and question it.

The way you wrote it is kind of an oxymoron. I can see why Brain called you out on it.. It was more how you worded it that was under fire, NOT your point.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Try splitting atoms, Zeemeister! I don;t see a difference between "if insufficient information was given" and "if insufficient information were made available" - or am I missing something here? "given"? "made available"? I don;t get it. Perhaps it is a sign on my superior life form! (Sorry - stilll watching TNG). grin.gif

And Brain knows I love him (in a platonic way).

tongue.gifhi.gif

POV, you know me well enough to to know that it was a matter of confussion, rather than a dig.

I dig that! grin.gif I really think we are passed all that! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Man now you got Zeesteronimy backing you up to. I am doomed. I quit the boards now. No more Pov.

Yeah - right! grin.gifhi.gif

POV, you know me well enough to to know that it was a matter of confussion, rather than a dig.

I dig that! grin.gif I really think we are passed all that! tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Man now you got Zeesteronimy backing you up to. I am doomed. I quit the boards now. No more Pov.

POV,Ze-Man,and The Brain, " The Three Amigos" headbang.gifyay.gifgrin.gif

POV,Ze-Man,and The Brain, " The Three Amigos" headbang.gifyay.gifgrin.gif

I'm doomed. crazy.gif

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Try splitting atoms, Zeemeister! I don;t see a difference between "if insufficient information was given" and "if insufficient information were made available" - or am I missing something here? "given"? "made available"? I don;t get it. Perhaps it is a sign on my superior life form! (Sorry - stilll watching TNG). grin.gif

And Brain knows I love him (in a platonic way).

tongue.gifhi.gif

Well Pov.. we must not have anything better to do..(actually I do.. but who cares)

When you said... made available... to me that phrase lends itself to facts that were brought to light in a friendly manner.. or made available for all to see. To make facts available sounds like they are there for the asking.

As oppsed to what I said... ( in the context of your point.)

If insufficient information was given.. this phrase lends itself to implying the person giving the information was not exactly forthcoming with all the facts they possesed. As they only gave out a limited amount of information in order to damage control a situation.

How is that for atom splitting? 27_laughing.gif

And with all this recent talk by you about Gems, and STTNG

If we combine the two topics do we get Dilithium Crystals?

And you ARE correct.. we are ALL doomed.. so lets try and enjoy the time that is given to us.

Ze-