• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My ASM #129 w/ a sticker on the back. Please help.

25 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I posted this in the Hey Buddy Can You Spare A Grade forum and was suggest to post here for advice on getting the sticker removed from the back cover. I recently won this on eBay and knew that it had the sticker, but I would like to have it removed if you guys think it would be worth it. I can tell that the sticker has been messed with by someone else trying to remove it but they stopped. I can see a stain from the sticker on the inside of the back cover so I figure that even when the sticker is removed it will be stained anyway, but at least the sticker will be gone.

Here is my scan:

ASM1292.jpg

ASM129Back.jpg

Thank you for any and all suggestions and help.

If he were to send it to me it would have to be through Classics Inc. That said it is a minor thing and might not be cost effective. That and it already has a tape stain. :(

I would suggest putting some similar stickers on some beat up books and seeing if you can use a hair drier to soften the adhesive and lift off the sticker. Take a Q tip with one of many known solvents to get up the glue.. just experiment, see what works.

If you feel comfortable with your results try it on the ASM book, it is a tiny sticker and should not be overly hard to remove. Main thing to look out for are ring stains or tidelines left behind by too much solvent, or remover applied at once.

I think YouTube has several generic videos about sticker removal. Granted they are not on ink coated comic books..but the principle is the same.

Use a little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip - like Ze-man said. Peel the sticker off, then rub whatever goo is left with the q-tip, wipe off the residue quickly with a cloth (not a paper towel or tissue) and you should be good to go.

Well just sitting here looking at it, to me I think that it has been stuck on for a very long time it is definitely not fresh. I think that is why whomever tried to take it off stopped because it is stuck on there real good and they probably didn't want to damage the book. I can see no evidence of the sticker being pulled up just the edges kind of frayed up.

Here is a close up:

ASM129Back2.jpg

Use a little rubbing alcohol on a q-tip - like Ze-man said. Peel the sticker off, then rub whatever goo is left with the q-tip, wipe off the residue quickly with a cloth (not a paper towel or tissue) and you should be good to go.

I had written Bryan a PM but thought it worth posting here too.

Alcohol will work perfectly, the only thing to be aware of going in is to go slow. Dab only a little at a time to lightly dampen the sticker. Once damp let it sit and then blot ever so lightly with a paper towel to see if the ink is prone to bleeding. If you cannot lift the sticker off but see yellow on the towel at this point..STOP!! If not dab a few more times and let it soak enough until the sticker lifts off easily.

Get that sucker off safely and he should be home free.

Well just sitting here looking at it, to me I think that it has been stuck on for a very long time it is definitely not fresh. I think that is why whomever tried to take it off stopped because it is stuck on there real good and they probably didn't want to damage the book. I can see no evidence of the sticker being pulled up just the edges kind of frayed up.

Here is a close up:

ASM129Back2.jpg

Looks like you've got a nice stain underneath the sticker already. Probably not worth removing at this point.

Maybe you can remove the sticker and get Stan Lee to draw a cockroach over that spot. hm

Possible sig series 9.8 :D

or not.

I'd find a good clean flat surface, and try to gently roll a wooden dowel,

- read hacksawed off broom handle - back and forth over the dot to

see if the layers of paper will come apart before you try the alcohol.

I don't think you should try yourself and risk it because unless you get it invisible it will still count. If you really want it removed, send it to CI although I have no idea what something like that would cost and Zeman said it wouldn't be cost effective especially if stain remains. :)

I don't think you should try yourself and risk it because unless you get it invisible it will still count. If you really want it removed, send it to CI although I have no idea what something like that would cost and Zeman said it wouldn't be cost effective especially if stain remains. :)

Yeah I have a real good feeling that the stain will be there for sure once it is removed.

I will decide in the next day or so if I want to try to remove it myself. If I do I will post the results here.

Thanks guys for all the ideas and advice.

I don't think i'd remove it, you would know there has been an old sticker removed, and i wouldn't risk damaging it anymore.

Normally I would agree with you but since it is on a white background I think he will be ok to attempt removal. The stain is a shame, but if the sticker is removed at least it wont possibly snag, or tear the book on accident.

Well, at least you got the sticker off the back.

I'm curious...what happened to the marks that were at the 10, and 11 o'clock position

shown on the before photo's?

I'd also put some acid-free chamber paper behind the back cover to prevent any transfer

to the inside paper.

Well I just took Ze-man's advice and here is the result.

Either way it is a bummer it was there, but at least it is gone.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Before

ASM129Back2.jpg

After

ASM129StickerRemoved2.jpg

Well, at least you got the sticker off the back.

I'm curious...what happened to the marks that were at the 10, and 11 o'clock position

shown on the before photo's?

I'd also put some acid-free chamber paper behind the back cover to prevent any transfer

to the inside paper.

I used the q-tip and went over them with the alcohol real lightly and they came right off.