• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

economical pressing of sentimental "comic" size magazine?????

24 posts in this topic

Hi All..

I have had this for a while. My uncle gave it to me years ago.. Its a program for a Yankees / white sox game from 1965

As you can see, its seen MUCH better days... I would love to have it pressed flat and maybe have the tape removed.. So I can frame it and have it look more presentable. He dies a few years ago so this means a lot to me, but I also dont want to spend a lot of money getting it "restored" since a) I am between jobs and b) it doesnt have a huge value ...

Wondering what the most economical thing would be... Or if there is someone here who is good that could do it for less than a company?

Thanks!!

scorecard.jpg

Around 4 months ago I told Tyler to send me his program. It was one of those personal family items that demanded attention, but probably would not get it because of financial reasons.

So I present to the people my last freebie practice work! :preach: Everything now goes through Classics, as it should.

This 1965 Program was a mess. Added staples, multiple sets of tape applied at different times to both sides of the split cover, and of course it was a wrinkly mess.

I was originaly going to just send Tyler these photos, but figured others might enjoy seeing them as well. Soooo...on with the show.

Cover was dry cleaned where possible(the cover inks were beyond fragile) and the dirt had become set in rather then on the surface.

Cover was solvent washed and the tape removed.

Cover and Pages were wet washed and re sized.

Split spine was rejoined/reinforced, multiple tears sealed.

Book was reassembled and pressed. Was odd that the centerfold/score sheet was larger then the rest of the program.

Since the book originally only had 1 staple that was what I went with, but it sure could use another for handling purposes. Very wobbly when open.

All in all I was proud to be able to return this family keepsake back to not only a more stable condition, but a little easier on the eye as well. It really is quite the piece of pop culture. Almost all the adds inside are for Booze, Beer, Ciggy's, Cigars,Coffee and Hot Dogs. A Health Magazine if you will. :)

I will be happy to take more shots if people want to see more of the work or book. Some nice Babe Ruth art inside too.

DSC09952.jpg

DSC09984.jpg

DSC09954.jpg

DSC09986.jpg

DSC09965.jpg

DSC09987.jpg

DSC09990.jpg

I will admit I was quite surprised how well this paper stock rebounded. The interior looks and feels new again.

DSC09988.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

And in a pretty new Myler for Tyler.

DSC00016.jpg

I am literally in SHOCK at how well this turned out.. Not from any doubt in your ability, but just knowing how bad it was when I sent it to you!! I can't even believe it is the same program!

I am speechless... Your work is amazing and the fact that you did this for me just blows me away.. It goes to show that there are still kind, generous people out there!

What you cant see in the pictures and is not in the description, is that my uncle Frank gave this to me when I was just a kid (back when I was WAY into baseball).. And on the inside is the scorecard for that game that he filled out while watching it. I never knew how to fill those out, but he would every time we went to a game together..

This really is fixing a memory :)

Awesome piece of work !, awesome story, and sounds like you had an awesome uncle...I have an almost identical story and scorecard but 4 years later(1969) and my dad(since deceased) was the one that helped me fill mine out. I think I will follow your lead and frame mine...thanks for sharing this here...I am thinking of maybe replicating the scoring centerfold and making this a 2 part collage with the book cover and the scoring centerfold next to it..just thinking that the scoring part is sentimental and is worthy of display also..just a thought...thanks again.

Awesome piece of work !, awesome story, and sounds like you had an awesome uncle...I have an almost identical story and scorecard but 4 years later(1969) and my dad(since deceased) was the one that helped me fill mine out. I think I will follow your lead and frame mine...thanks for sharing this here...I am thinking of maybe replicating the scoring centerfold and making this a 2 part collage with the book cover and the scoring centerfold next to it..just thinking that the scoring part is sentimental and is worthy of display also..just a thought...thanks again.

I agree, this program is more then the cover itself. So to frame it would be to lose some of it's charm. If anything, have a little photo album next to the framed program so people can "flip through" and see the interior without fear of causing damage. I took shots of the entire interior to send to Tyler on DVD, if people care to see it I will upload them.

Here is the Scorecard/centerfold , it really is a neat, personal item full of American Pop Culture.

scorecardcenterfold.jpg

scorecardcenterfold.jpg

The Yankees won 3-1, but the beginning of a dark era for the Yankees. Mantle on the decline... Ford nearing the end of his effectiveness.

Mantle went 0 for 2 -- flying out twice and walking twice.

Hey... Tyler and his uncle saw Bobby Richardson and Tom Tresh go deep! :acclaim:

scorecardcenterfold.jpg

The Yankees won 3-1, but the beginning of a dark era for the Yankees. Mantle on the decline... Ford nearing the end of his effectiveness.

hm A 7-hit, one-run, complete game with 10K's . . . still seems pretty effective to me! :baiting: