• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern HG CGC - Current Census Numbers and Values

24 posts in this topic

Has any mainstream (Marvel/DC) copper book determined to be truly "rare"?

Which book bucks the census trends the most?

The likeliest candidates you're going to see for 80's "rare" are going to be last issues of cancelled series. Stuff that no one bought when new, and didn't save if they did.

Star Wars #107 is a good example. There are still only 11 examples of this book on the census, despite it's sales of near or over $1,000 over the past few years.

While Joe #21 did "explode", there are still only 23 copies in 9.8. That seems like a lot when compared to "none", but 23 copies isn't all that many.

Or....you'll see books that, for whatever technical reason, are hard to find in 9.8. Batman #426-428 are perfect examples of this. Compared to a Spidey #300, the Death in the Family numbers are still miniscule. All three books are, back to front, black covers, which makes hiding wear that might otherwise slip through into 9.8 that much more difficult to hide.

For truly rare 80's and 90's, you're going to have to look at Independents that were either rare to begin with (Albedo #2, Turtles #1), or just weren't saved by anyone.

Still, the vast majority of 80's books has less than 50 copies in 9.8, even a lot of the keys. That's really not a lot, in relative terms.

But really, it's just much, much too soon to shake out what is and is not truly rare in high grade from the 80's and beyond. Since so much of it is worthless, the census does little more than hint at what might eventually pan out to be rare, and what's just waiting in the wings.

Right now, I find it very amusing to see non-descript, non-key books of any particular run (X-Men, Spiderman, etc) sell for more...sometimes double or triple...what the local keys sell for in the same grade, simply because there's fewer of them on the census.

I couldn't have predicted that if you'd paid me.

Now that we have 5 years of perspective, how have these books held up?

CGC Hall of Shame from Dec 2004

By the way...Mr. Brady, as entertaining as he is, and as dead on as he is, is missing the big point.

CGC didn't invent these prices...the collectors paying them did.

No one is forced to buy a CGC 9.8, 9.9, or 10 copy of anything.

Granted, there are people asking crazy prices for some common stuff, but it's really the market that determined the prices for most of this stuff.

Blaming CGC is erroneous.

i remember around 2003 there were no cgc 9.8s of spiderman#1 platinum and everybody was saying because of the card stock cover and all black back cover there would never be any cgc 9.8s and now there are a good number of 9.8s. i had a lot of the one and only 9.8 coppers before i got out of comics in 04 and now there are so many in 9.8 its crazy to think any were really rare in that grade.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SECRET-WARS-8-CGC-9-8_W0QQitemZ310167671991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item48376f14b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14QQautorefreshZtrue

Wasn't this, a key 80s book, at some point going for some serious coin? I remember wanting a HG copy myself but thinking I'd have to "settle" for 9.6. The last time I was aware of its price (say in 2005), perhaps it was undergoing the Spider Man 1 and 2 movies bump. But $73? So I decided to do some investigation.

That's been about average in recent weeks. I've got a CGC 9.8 WP that I'd sell for that price... :whistle: